We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kaanapali or Wailea?

San Ramon, CA
Level Contributor
18 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Kaanapali or Wailea?

My husband and I will be making our first trip to Maui in early Feb. of 2006 and we are planning to stay for 7 days. I've been reading that the weather is better in south Maui during the winter months.

Our biggest criteria is "QUIET and RELAXING" with little to no children. Don't get me wrong, we have 3 of our own but do not want to end up at a busy resort. I have my eye on "Fairmont Kea Lani", "Four Seasons" for the Wailea area but am open to the Kaanapali area as well. Is the Kaanapali area warm in February? Also, is this a busy time of year for families with children?

I've been told that the "Hyatt" is NOT the place to be, too busy. I have concerns about the "Westin" being to busy and have read the "Sheraton" is a nice calm place. I don't want a condo as we'll be heading back with our children the following Nov. and most likely will end up in a condo. We like nice pools but are more beach oriented. We also love great food and fun activities (water). Costco has some nicely priced packages that include a car but nothing for "Four Seasons".

Any advise is greatly appreciated!!!!!!!!!!

Spokane, WA
Level Contributor
1,403 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kaanapali or Wailea?

Based on the criteria you have provided you would probably be better off in Wailea. Some other areas to consider would be Napili and Kahana. Kaanapali is by far the busiest area of Maui next to Lahaina.

Maui
Level Contributor
219 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Kaanapali or Wailea?

February is probably the busiest month for tourism on Maui.

If you want quiet & relaxing, you don't want to be in Ka`anapali in February.

The Kea Lani & Four Seasons are both great. The Maui Prince in Makena is also nice (and because it's not adjacent to other resorts, it's probably the quietest major hotel on the island).

It's warm & comfortable in Wailea & Ka`anapali throughout the year. Ka`anapali gets some rain in the winter; Wailea is dry all year.

San Ramon, CA
Level Contributor
18 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Kaanapali or Wailea?

Thanks for the imput. I figured Wailea is our best bet in February. I'll check out the 'Prince'........

Scottsdale, Arizona
Level Contributor
31 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Kaanapali or Wailea?

Aloha, As a former Maui resident of Kihei, and a former Four Seasons employee, I want to assure that the advice to avoid West Maui and Ka'anapali for your quiet vacation is well heeded.

The Four Seasons Resort is always rated as the best resort on Maui, but I actually prefer to stay at the Kea Lani, as the suites there are so roomy, and the grounds and pool area are more interesting that the more formal atmosphere of the Four Seasons. But you can always take the scenic 30 minute coast-side walk between the two resorts no matter which one you choose.

Also, The Renaissance Wailea my be re-opened fter a re-furbishment scheduled for January of 2006, and it is another elegant and quite resort choice to consider.

There is no need to limit yourself to Costco if you wish to price the Four Seasons and they will not do so. You could visit any of numerous online travel sites that specialize in Hawaiian vacation packages, some of which are linked to tripadvisor.com

Have fun planning, and make your reservatons soon! Good rates and availability sell out quickly for the Very High travel season of February. Include Trip cancellation insurance!

San Ramon, CA
Level Contributor
18 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Kaanapali or Wailea?

I had seriously considered The Renaissance Wailea but was told that it was being bought out and would be closed in January. Is this not true?

Seattle
Level Contributor
51 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Kaanapali or Wailea?

When I hear people say they are looking to go to Maui when it will be less packed, less kids around, for a quiet and relaxing time I have to wonder. Seems Maui is busy alot of the time. Don't get me wrong you can always find a quiet place but for a first timer be prepared for crowds just about everywhere.

Perhaps try a more remote vacation. I know we loved Maui and can't wait to go back but I think our next trip will be to somewhere tropical and more remote with less people / traffic. Maui is a blast though.

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
145 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Kaanapali or Wailea?

Hyatt is very loud, lots of kids. We stayed at the Sheraton in 2001 and it is very quiet and laid back, more for couples. We walked thru the Sheraton in Jun (just for old times) and noticed the carpet is pretty worn in some places. Don't know how the rooms look. For a trip report on the Hyatt you can read mine at http://www.geocities.com/dsg561/

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
1,459 posts
223 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Kaanapali or Wailea?

DreaminMaui,

You are correct about the Renaissance in Waliea. It will be closed as of January, but the plans for refurbishment and or a new building are from what I hear still up in the air. The new/refurbished hotel will be a Starwood hotel when it reopens. Rumor has it that it will be a W Resort to compete with the Four Season, Grand Wailea and the refurbished and to be rebranded JW Marriott Waliea (now the Marriott Waliea).

dctravel

Level Contributor
60 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Kaanapali or Wailea?

hi,

we splurged and stayed at the four seasons for our 10th anniversary. our travel agent (who owns the agency and has been everywhere recommended it). i cannot say enough good things about it! we still talk about it and remember it as our best vacation. the staff treated us like royalty and the view is breathtaking! we have visited many islands and wonderful places, but maui is still by far our favorite! have a great trip!

Mission Kansas
Level Contributor
1,413 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Kaanapali or Wailea?

I stayed in Northern Kanapali but since we rented a convertible, we did a lot of driving around seeing different beaches both north and south of us. Although I didnt go into any resorts in Wailea, we did stop at the dive shop there and did a bit of shopping before snorkeling on some great beaches in Wailea and further south. The ONLY reason that I would be hesitant to stay on that end of Maui is because the outer roads, that you take to travel the Walea/kehei area arent very scenic. Nothing compared to the views you have driving into Kaanapali with the ocean forever on your left and the amazing view of mountains to your right. I would really miss that if I stayed in Wailea. We spent a great deal of time on the road shopping, eating and snorkeling at different spots, and I never tired of that gorgeous view! Also, Wailea is drier and I think the landscape, outside of the resort areas, reflects the lack of moisture compared to the flora and fauna on the hiway further north.