We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Spam in my messages

Greenacres, WA
Level Contributor
704 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Spam in my messages

So recently I offered to help others with travel deals. I received a few messages and was going to respond today.

I checked my in box and had 4 "free cruise" messages from people i've messaged before. I'm not sure if accounts were hijacked or if these people really spammed me but I thought I check if anyone else received a "free Bahama's cruise" offer. . .i go from almost zero messages to getting four of these from different people overnight. .

something just didn't seem right.

Nederland, Colorado
Level Contributor
10,477 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Spam in my messages

I had 7 of the same PMs in my mailbox this morning. Also experiencing lots of problems with this website! I wonder if they got hacked or something?

Florence, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Oregon Coast
Level Contributor
6,031 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Spam in my messages

Agree!! I got two messages this mornin??????

What's up Doc????

Orange, CA
Level Contributor
2,284 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Spam in my messages

I had 5, 2 from NYF and 2 from Calgary Carole.

Florence, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Oregon Coast
Level Contributor
6,031 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Spam in my messages

One of mine was from NYF too!!

I've also been booted twice and had to re-sign in??

I'll say it again, What's up Doc????

Trix, I posted a thread on MF about this.........

Honolulu, Hawaii
Level Contributor
10,419 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Spam in my messages

On the Vegas board folks are talking about getting up to 40 of the free cruise messages...

I got a few and instantly knew they were fake when one was sent by a poster who was aboslutely raking me over the coals non-stop the other day. Definitely not a "friend" who think of me with a great offer.

The others were from reputable posters who would not have sent such crap via a PM.

Just shows the importance visitor businesses are now placing on sites like TA, from doctored reviews, to underhanded offers, to straight-up commercial postings, to unbridled hacking efforts.

Hickory, North...
Level Contributor
1,497 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Spam in my messages

This is going throughout the TA forums. DO NOT OPEN them! Report as spam and delete. By now TA is well aware of them.

Some have blocked the sender but I am not sure if that will block senders we know.

Total absence of "chill" IMO!

Happy trails, Dutch

Nor-Cal
Level Contributor
2,344 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Spam in my messages

Swirlz

The Cabo board is indated with the "free cruise"spam on the TA e mail-one person got 27 of these.

Hana, Hawaii
Level Contributor
7,877 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Spam in my messages

That is because, unlike myself, all you people that posted above are troublemakers, I tell ya!

Especially dengay & trixxee! :)

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
13,663 posts
308 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Spam in my messages

Mine was from AZFan. And no the PM funciton seems disabled/

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
636 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Spam in my messages

Hi,

I also received the "free cruise" spam earlier this morning, and now my "messages" tab has disappeared.