We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Vacation in Maui during December

usa
5 posts
Save Topic
Vacation in Maui during December

Hello,

we are planning on visiting to Maui in December for 5 days. Is there anything weather wise that we need to be aware of? is weather a problem during December?

Thanks

Arlington, VA
Level Contributor
1,425 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Vacation in Maui during December

Be sure to head out to Ho'okipa to watch the surfers! The surf should be up then. (Can't really answer your questions from direct experience.)

Canada
Level Contributor
2,750 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Vacation in Maui during December

Personally I have been to Maui in Dec. twice going again this Christmas and never found the weather to be anything but spectacular!

On our first trip to Maui a native told us that the weather does not vary all that much, typically colder by about 5 degrees in the winter months. If you check the weather networks they always predict rain, as other will tell you it will rain somewhere on maui on any given day (and it will be a short shower), so not to worry.

usa
5 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Vacation in Maui during December

Thats good to hear. I appreciate the inputs

usa
5 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Vacation in Maui during December

can anyone recommend a hotel in Maui? thanks

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
43,983 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Vacation in Maui during December

Most of the resorts/hotels are on the dry side of the island. Average rainfall for December is about 5" - but as others have mentioned, Maui has micro-climates -- so it may be raining in one area ... and not raining a mile down the road. Temps are basically the same all year round with highs in the low 80s.

When in December do you plan to go? Five nights or five days? What is your nightly accommodations budget? There are many, many places to stay ... how many people are traveling with you. Do you need a condo? What kinds of activities are you looking for?

The last two weeks of the month - Christmas/New Years are very popular and people plan months and months and months in advance. The first two weeks are easier to book.

Maui
1 post
Save Reply
6. Re: Vacation in Maui during December

Hello!

I am also traveling to Maui in December. We will be there the week before, and including Christmas day. This is my 1st time there, and I would love to experience as much of the true culture as possible during that time. 7 nights..i have rented a car, and would love any input that you all might have as to what the top things to do would be!

Thank you for your help! I am looking so forward to the trip!

Maui
Level Contributor
175 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Vacation in Maui during December

It depends what kind of culture you want to experience. If you want a true taste of Hawaiian culture I would recommend the Old Lahaina Luau. It's the only Hawaiian show there is.

Polynesian culture seems to be very well represented by The Feast at Lele it might be nice to compare the differences.

If you want to experience the homogenization of the many cultures Hawaii has I would recommend the Kahului Swap Meet. There you will find local crafts, an iced coconut, filipino food, japanese food, local produce and get to see a lot of the races that make up Maui interacting.

usa
5 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Vacation in Maui during December

I am planning in Mid december for 6 nights. just me and my wife. do you guys recommend buying a package or do hotel/flight and separately book car? which combination gives you best value for your money?

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
43,983 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Vacation in Maui during December

You know ... there isn't one answer to that question. Packages can be economical and they are "safer" for first-timers or folks who don't have much experience with booking hotels, cars, etc.

I can't tell where you are from .. and I think that makes a difference as well.

You may want to go talk to a travel agent about a package - or at least pick up some brochures. With airfare going through the roof, the packages may have locked in some deals ... or there may be a fuel surcharge.

There is SO much information on this forum about great places to stay, car rental companies and such. Some hotels offer a fifth night free (Sheraton/Westin) sometimes and AAA has been offering great discounts lately.

Sorry, I am rambling ... there is no one answer. I know what I would do (because I just did it for that same time period), but alot depends on what you want, what your night accommodations budget looks like -- those kinds of decisions.

Chicagoland
Level Contributor
20,624 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Vacation in Maui during December

We can help more if you'd answer a few questions:

Where are you coming from? (Your info only says USA.)

Are you coming only to Maui or visiting other islands? (We don't want to suggest things that are better done on other islands.)

What kind of hotel do you want? Budget? Interests? Ages?