We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Walking distance to Lahaina from Sheraton Maui or Westin?

Calgary
Level Contributor
34 posts
Save Topic
Walking distance to Lahaina from Sheraton Maui or Westin?

I am looking to book a 1st anniversary trip for my husband and I to Maui. I was thinking, based on several reviews here, of either the Sheraton Maui or the Westin. We have been to Oahu before and enjoy walking around Waikiki in the evening and having access to bars/lounges to have a few drinks at. Is Lahaina a good spot for this? Is it within walking distance of these two hotels? Or is the Four Seasons down in Wailea a better option altogehter?

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
45,244 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Walking distance to Lahaina from Sheraton Maui or Westin?

No, Lahaina is not walking distance. It's about 8 - 10 miles from Ka'anapali ... depending on where in Lahaina you want to go. BUT - the Westins and the Sheraton Maui run a shuttle to Lahaina and back. You should contact them for the hours ... but that sounds like a good solution. I have used the shuttle before and it's great!

Another consideration -- WHaler's Village (with some excellent restaurants and shops) is next door to the Westin Resort (not Villas) and a short walk along the beach walk from the Sheraton.

If you like moseying in Waikiki - Lahaina and Whalers is a much better bet than the Four Seasons.

The Sheraton Maui is a much nicer hotel than the Westin. We have stayed at both and there is no comparison.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
654 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Walking distance to Lahaina from Sheraton Maui or Westin?

Maui is not Oahu. Your best bet for walking around to find some nightlife is Lahaina and the walkway on Kaanapali beach that runs from the Hyatt down to the Sheraton past Whalers village.

You will need a car to get from Kaanapali to Lahaina late at night. Most hotel shuttles stop by 10 pm. You could get a taxi though.

Lagrangeville, NY
Level Contributor
2,897 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Walking distance to Lahaina from Sheraton Maui or Westin?

First, no where else in Hawaii is like Waikiki when the sun goes down. If nightlife is important, Waikiki is your best bet.

Sheraton/Westin is about 6 km from Front Street Lahaina. I don't remember seeing a side walk along Honoapiilani Highway (which connects Kaanapali Parkway and Front Street). There is a shuttle between Kaanapali and Lahaina, although I do not know how late that runs. So my recommendation would be to drive to Lahaina. On Kaanapali Beach you could enjoy the hotel restaurants/bars and there is also Hula Grill, Leilani's, and Rusty Harpoons at Whaler's Village so you would not have to drive anywhere.

An alternative: couple of years ago DH and I decided that we want to be in Lahaina for the nightlife, and stayed at the Plantation Inn Bed and Breakfast. It is not along the beach and has a tiny pool (that we have not seen used during our stay), but it was an absolute wonderful place location wise since we would walk down Front Street every night after dinner. It is not close to the vibe of Waikiki after dark, but it's different and enjoyable.

Wailea would not get you the same feel as Waikiki either -- it is laid back elegance. I would say nightlife (unless you count hotel bars) are in Kihei, which is about 7 km from Four Seasons. There's side walk the whole way except maybe a little section near Keawakapu. But is that walking distance? Only if you call brisk walking for an hour walking distance. Not sure I want to walk briskly for an hour after a few relaxing drinks and good local music. This is from experience -- we walked about 5 km one New Year's Eve after celebrating at Aloha Tower Marketplace back to Waikiki because the taxi line was too long and we thought it was nothing since the ride there seems short. Well, it was not as short as we thought; good exercise though. LOL

Menlo Park...
Level Contributor
5,451 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Walking distance to Lahaina from Sheraton Maui or Westin?

There is a shuttle that runs from the Sheraton and Westin in to Lahaina. The stops in town are rather far apart, but it sure beats trying to park. I don't know how late it runs. You have to show your room key to board.

It's a pretty good hike without sidewalk from any point in lahiana to the Sheraton.

Nanticoke...
Level Contributor
1 post
41 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Walking distance to Lahaina from Sheraton Maui or Westin?

The area where the Sheraton is located is set apart from other areas. It has a few hotels and a beachwalk and whalers village. You have to get on the highway to come down to Lahaina town. Short, easy drive. If you want to stay near the action of Lahaina and nightlife than try the Lahaina shores. I have never stayed there but you can read the reviews. It is on Front St so you can walk down to all the restaurants and shops. If you prefer the resorts in Kaanapali it is only a 5 to 10 minute drive but parking is limited.

Lots to see and do, restaurants and bars and shops. Walking distance to surfing, boat activities and anything else. Whalers village is nice too, more expensive, but lots of restaurants and bars right on the beach, don't even need shoes! You can't go wrong either way! Wailea is nice too but it is set up differently. More mini malls, more stopping and going. Lahaina is just walking up and down the street and it is very long. Whalers village is an area by it self!

Tips: Canoes Restaurant, Roy's in Kahana (5-star), Goofy Foot Surf School.

Have a great time!

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
45,244 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Walking distance to Lahaina from Sheraton Maui or Westin?

There is also a public bus that services the area with stops in Lahaina and in front of Whaler's. I have seen many local workers/staff use it, as well as visitors, so perhaps it runs late. Just a thought. Parking in Lahaina is notoriously bad.

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
45,244 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Walking distance to Lahaina from Sheraton Maui or Westin?

http://www.sheraton-maui.com/wn_shuttle.htm

Here's the schedule from the Sheraton Maui website. It has all the stops and times.

(You're welcome!)

Marietta, Ga. USA
Level Contributor
516 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Walking distance to Lahaina from Sheraton Maui or Westin?

It is roughly 4 miles from Lahainaluna Rd to The Sheraton. I would not recommend walking it; especially at night. A girfriend of mine, who is a triathelete, runs it every morning, so if you are in shape, go for it. But an 8 mile round trip is not for the faint at heart...definitely not after a couple of Mai Tai's. Call Classy Taxi 808-665-0003 if you want to ride in style in an antique convertible jalopy. Guy is the owner and is very personable. A great experience after sunset cocktails in Lahaina.

9. Re: Walking distance to Lahaina from Sheraton Maui or Westin?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 October 2009, 07:16