We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Report - LONG

SoCal
Level Contributor
40 posts
Save Topic
Trip Report - LONG

Aloha!

We've been back a few weeks now and I have avoided writing the trip report because I know once I start writing about what we did, I am going to want to go back right away!

It was a 2 week trip for my husband and I, we are both 30. Our 3 kids stayed at home with the grandparents. We spent 5 days in Maui, 5 on the BI, and 4 in Oahu. Hubby had to see Pearl Harbor, which is why we squeezed in Oahu...I would have rather split our time between just Maui and the BI, but we had a good time.

Maui...

Arrived on Friday, May 30th on a flight from LAX on American. The flight was ontime and uneventful. We had no problems getting our luggage or rental car from Avis. We had a convertible reserved and ended up with a Mustang convertible. We liked it, but we definitely overpacked and had to put the top down so that we could put some luggage in the back seat. We were starving and needed to kill a little time before we could check into our condo so we stopped and got some lunch at a restaurant at Maalea Harbor. We then headed to our condo at Polynesian Shores. The condo was amazing! It was unit 114 and as soon as we enetered we were greeted with a breathtaking view of the ocean from the huge glass doors that were 100 yards from the ocean! It wss completely re-modeled and well equipped. The owners were great to work with. You can view it a westmauioceanfrontcondo dot com.

After we unpacked, we showered and took the 10 minute drive to Kaanapali our 6:15 reservations at Leilani's. When we called we requested a table on the railing and we got one! The service was excellent, the food was great and the view was the best part. Watching the sunset on the water for our first night was so great.

On Saturday morning, we were up bright and early for a snorkel trip to Molokini. We went with Fair Winds II and it was a blast. The service was outstanding. They do try to sell a lot of stuff, but just ignore it and have a good time. The food on the boat is plentiful as are the drinks. The water was so clear and there were a lot of fish, just not a lot of variety. This is how clear the water was...I was standing on the top deck of the boat and could see the fish under the water and I have pictures to prove it...it really was amazing.

Saturday evening we went to the Feast at Lele. This was well worht the price. We had a front row table, but the place is so small that even the back tables have a great view. The service is impeccable and we never had an empty drink all night. My only complaint is that they give you too much food. I was so stuffed that I almost felt sick. The show was great. We really enjoyed seeing the differnet aspects of all the Polynesian islands. They also took some great professional photos which we purchased for about $60.

Sunday morning we went zipling in Kaanapali with Skyline Eco Adventures. The guides were great and we had a fabulous time. It is not as extreme as I thought it would be so I wasn't scared at all. There was an 80-year old man in our group and he did just fine. I would highly recommend this!

After the ziplining, we showered and had luch at Aloha Mixed Plate in Lahaina. It was cheap and delicious. We then headed up to Mt. Haleakala to watch the sunset. I am so glad I was prepared for the cold. We even brought a comforter from the condo. You won't believe how may people I saw in shorts and sandals and they were totally miserable. The view was spectacular. Being above the clouds was surreal. It fely like we could just step out over the edge and walk on them. We watched the beautiful sunset and then took a nap in the car. We woke up about 9 and put the top down and star gazed for a while. There were so many stars!

On Monday, we were up early again for the Sunrise sail to Lanai with Trilogy. I highly recommend this. The crew was the best we experienced our whole trip. We had Captain Mark and he was fantastic. They serve you hot cinammon rolls and coffee or juice on your way to Lanai and once you get there you can go on a van tour of the island. The tour takes you to Lanai City and you get to see all the sites, plus the guide was extremely knowledable about the history of the island. They then take you back to the beach where you have about 2 hours to snorkel, hike, explore, etc. The beach was beautiful. They provide beach mats, chairs, snacks, water, lemonade, etc. After that, they take you to a covered paviliion and serve lunch, which is BBQ chicken, salad, peas, etc. It was delicious. They serve ice cream and sail on the way back to Maui.

Monday night we went to Warren and Annabelle's. We had the Royal Flush package and the appetizers and drinks were yummy!! The pre-show stuff with Annabelle is kind of cheesy, but the show with Warren is fantastic. We were asked to participate in the show so we were in the very front. Warren is so amazing, some of the tricks he does are phenomenal. But the comedy aspect of the show is just as good as the magic part...we were laughing all night long!

Tuesday was our last full day and we did the road to Hana. We left the condo at 6:30 am to try to beat the crowds and traffic and it worked! We stopped at Garden of Eden and really enjoyed it. We also stopped at some of the lookouts around mile marker 14 and they are a not to be missed! We then stopped at Ke'anae Peninsula and this was one of the most beautiful spots I have ever seen. The waves crashing against the rocks was a sight to see. We also picked up some banana bread from the stand they have and it was delicious and warm. We bought extra and ate it for the rest of our trip! We then stopped at 3 Bears Falls and hike down to the bottom. It was a small flow when we were there but still beautiful. We then drove the Nahiku Road and it was also a very beautiful spot and worth the time. Somewhere between Nahiku Road and Wai'anapanapa park are a few stands on the side of the road. One of them sells Kailua Pork tacos that are too die for...that was our lunch. We also picked uo some good coconut candy that we ate during the rest of the trip. Next stop was Wai'anapanapa park and the black sand beach. It was worth a stop. We then stopped at Hamoa Beach for 30 minutes or so and took a dip in the water. It wasn't as nice as I thought it would be. We saw much better beaches during our trip. We stopped at Wailua Falls expecting the most beautiful waterfall we had ever seen and we got...nothing. It was completely dry! Not evem a trickle. :( The sacred pools were our last stop. We spent about an hour swimming and looking around. They were pretty dry too so it wasn't an amazing sight, but worth the time.

It took us about 3 hours with no stops to get back to Lahaina and we arrived at about 8pm. We ate at BJs pizza, which was average and then went home and crashed. It was a long 14 hour day for us, but so memorable. It was my favorite day of the entire trip!

Wednesday we woke up and packed and then went to Lahaina and had lunch at Bubba Gumps. The cocomut shrimp was delicious. Then it was off to the airport and on to the Big Island.

Maui was our favorite of the 3 islands that we visited and we can't wait to go back!

S W Arkansas
Destination Expert
for Kihei, Maui, Hana, Haleakala National Park
Level Contributor
10,543 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip Report - LONG

Thanks for the great report. Makes it hard to wait for September.

Glad you enjoyed sunset and star gazing. We love doing that. One year we saw the sunset. Then slept in the car, waking to the alarm clock so we could watch Saturn being occulated by the moon, back to sleep then up to see the sunrise. Truly a once in a life time event for me. I never could get comfy. Small car..three folks...looong night.

Have never stopped at the Garden of Eden. We'll give it a try this year.

Have fun planning your next trip.

Princeville, Hawaii
Level Contributor
7,079 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip Report - LONG

Thanks for your report.

Marietta, Ga. USA
Level Contributor
516 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip Report - LONG

Sounds like you guys had a BLAST...except for sleeping in the car :) Thanks for sharing. I sure wish October would hurry up and get here.

new hampshire
Level Contributor
456 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip Report - LONG

Sounds like a great trip. Your Hana day brings back some great memories of the Ke'anae Peninsula and Wai'anapanapa park

Thanks for sharing

Gilbert, Arizona
Level Contributor
1,219 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip Report - LONG

Thank you! We did the zipline as well and had a blast!

Huahine, French...
Level Contributor
755 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip Report - LONG

mahalo for your trip report(s)

enjoyed reading them all

you got a lot in for only 5 days (or less) on each

where did you store all that energy while raising 3 kids to do so much in so little time in HI? ;-)

SoCal
Level Contributor
40 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip Report - LONG

I'm happy everyone is enjoying the reports! I keep reading the comments that we got a lot in for the time we were on each island. Here's my theory on that...

This was our first trip without our kids since our honeymoon 9 years ago, so we were really excited to go and I spent way too much time on this forum reading and researching! We had so much I wanted to do, and I knew we wouldn't get to go back anytime soon, so we just planned a reasonable itinerary. The energy came from the fact that we weren't chasing after 3 kids...we didn't know what to do with ourselves! :-)

Seriously though, we aren't the type who like to sit and relax on the beach for hours. An hour of that and we are ready to go. We enjoyed being able to spend time with each other and experience Hawaii for the first time. It really is paradise!

New Jersey
Level Contributor
323 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Trip Report - LONG

Wonderful trip report! Wow, you and your DH did just about everything there is to do on Maui. My wife and I sat front row at Warren's & Annabelle's and had a blast too! Maui is our favorite island too.

Prosper, Texas
Level Contributor
1,620 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Trip Report - LONG

Great trip report! We have done a lot of the same things. You did do a lot for the few days you were there! Thanks for sharing.

Maui
Level Contributor
175 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Trip Report - LONG

Well planned trip...great report. Nice job all the way around.