We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

No more guided kayak tours from Makena

Arlington, VA
Level Contributor
1,420 posts
53 reviews
Save Topic
No more guided kayak tours from Makena

mauinews.com/page/…

Seems like the grinches in Maui are at it again! I took a guided kayak tour from here & enjoyed it very much (except for the part where the kayak capasized). From what I could tell, the developer doesn't want a lot of people there.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
13,268 posts
301 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: No more guided kayak tours from Makena

There seem to be some complexities and mixed opinions, reading the comments on the story. One factor is area is not zoned for commercial activity.

Arlington, VA
Level Contributor
1,420 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: No more guided kayak tours from Makena

While I agree that the subject is complex, it does appear that a developer wants to keep the tourists riff raff out for all those high-end units being built.

mauinews.com/page/…

On the other hand, I agree, from my visit there, it appears that the area does not have the infrastructure to support a lot of tourist activities. It is an interesting situation though. While you would understand locals wanting to keep tourists out, not so much developers.

Calgary
Level Contributor
702 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: No more guided kayak tours from Makena

I have taken kayak expeditions from Makena on several occasion and am disappointed that this will not be an option for my future trips to Maui.

Maui Hawaii
Level Contributor
7 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: No more guided kayak tours from Makena

Everyone please do what you can, write letters, e-mails, phone the maui county parks director Tamara Horcajo and the mayor Charmaine Tavares. Small businesses are under attack by Maui County. We need all the suport we can get. Maui County wants no commercial activites, no TVRs (vacation rentals), no down hill bike tours, oh yeah, Halloween in Lahaina was just banned also. The Lahaina Historical committee thinks Halloween is offensive to the Lahaina historical district therefore the permit to conduct all the great Halloween activities that attracts thousands of people a year is now cancelled. The list goes on and on. Small businesses on Maui really need your support. Please write your letter or e-mail today!!!

thank you

Marietta, Ga. USA
Level Contributor
516 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: No more guided kayak tours from Makena

That will not stop thousands of people from partying on Front St Halloween. The parade will go on.

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
44,342 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: No more guided kayak tours from Makena

Ever try to just go snorkeling at Makena Landing? On a Saturday morning? You have to cut through all the kayaks with a knife just to be able to get in the water. IF you can get down the road between all the cars that are parked everywhere and still find a place to park!! I am not for killing small business. That is how most of Maui makes it's money but there are places where commerical activities should be and this isn't one of them. There needs to be a balance between where commercial activity for visitors is and where the quality of life for the people who reside there is. It's too bad the county didn't know it's own zoning laws before they allowed this to happen. It wasn't as crowded as it is now before they stopped the commercial companies from launching at La Perouse.

I guess you may call me a grinch and thats ok with me. If you allow commercial activities to go on just anywhere, filling the parking lots and beaches with tourists, then there is no place for the local population to go. Just remember I am talking about balance, not exclusivity(sp)?

There is a big difference in commercial activity and letting all enjoy. You can still launch a kayak, snorkel, dive etc. from Makena Landing. You just can't do it for profit.

Kihei, Hawaii
Level Contributor
2,721 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: No more guided kayak tours from Makena

I second MsFuzz. Makena Landing used to be great place for a weekend family outing. Now try find a place to park!

Once upon a time there was one lone kayak company launching from here. The owner was local, he practiced malama `aina and was respectful of others. Then a few other people saw that he was successful and thought, "Hmm, I could that." Before long 8 different guys who owned kayaks are out there taking visitors out on kayak trips. I personally know one guy who jumped on the kayak bandwagon last year. He had two 2-man kayaks, his buddy had one too--bam! they have a kayak business. I know these guys very well. I know they have no insurance and operate a cash-only business. I am pretty sure they don't have a permit.

This is happening all over Maui, from kayak businesses to wedding services to vacation rentals. At some point the county has to stop turning a blind eye and start enforcing codes. I say great--let's weed out the fly-by-night guys and those operating on the fringe of the law. It is best for the customers as well.

As for Halloween, there will still be Halloween in Lahaina. The bars and restaurants will still have parties and contests, and maybe we'll get some of the people off the street this way. Just as with the commercial activities, every Halloween it is a minority that ruins it for the rest.

Fact is that Maui is no longer the small rural community it used to be. When a place grows up, things begin to change. We have to have regulation. More people, more problems, more rules.

Maui Hawaii
Level Contributor
7 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: No more guided kayak tours from Makena

Don't worry!! Soon the whole Makena Landing area will not be available to anyone. Everett Dowling has taken the land back from the county, is building 5-15 million dollar homes and the beach will be private to only the residents of his high end community. There will be no more local residents having family parties or using makena landing. This is not only going to affect the comercial operators it will affect all the maui residents.

Maui
Level Contributor
1,474 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: No more guided kayak tours from Makena

Public access to Makena Landing is protected by law as is all beach access in Hawaii, this is about commercial access. The area is zoned as Parks 1 and as such the zoning prohibits commercial use but was never enforced by Maui County.

From the Maui News article last Sunday, July 13th

"Public access is not an issue, though. When the Makena Landing land was zoned by the original owner for development, public access or right-of entry was a condition for County Council approval....but allowance of commercial operations was not a part of the deal."

10. Re: No more guided kayak tours from Makena

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 October 2009, 16:17