We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

September trip!

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
196 posts
450 reviews
Save Topic
September trip!

Okay...this is what we have planned for our first trip to marvelous Maui. Please comment as you see fit. We arrive at 3 on a Tuesday. Get the convertible rental. Gonna stop at Kmart, Walmart to get supplies (bottled water, smacks, breakfast stuff, drinks, lotions, etc.). Arrive at the condo (Kaanapali Shores) around 5 or 6. Just chill out on the beach and get to bed round 10. Get up Wednesday (our anniversary) bout 5am to do the road to Hana (HER idea). We do LOVE exploring. Come around the south side to get back to the condo and relax. Day 3 - Ziplining in the morning and want to make dinner reservations for that evening. Day 4 - Early morning snorkeling (havent decided where yet) and Feast at Lele that nite. On Saturday, want to spend the day exploring Lahaina. Also, want to make dinner reservations for that nite. Sunday, have a champagne brunch in south Maui, and snorkel and relax at condo. Leave that Monday around 5. What should we NOT miss?

Beaverton, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Cannon Beach
Level Contributor
6,201 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: September trip!

"""Get up Wednesday (our anniversary) bout 5am to do the road to Hana (HER idea). We do LOVE exploring. Come around the south side to get back to the condo and relax"""

are you sure the backside of the road by lindbergs grave is open now-------if it isnt you will have to backtrack the way you came

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
45,244 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: September trip!

Haleakala, Haleakala, Haleakala -- you will kick yourself if you do not go.

FYI - you don't need a full day for Lahaina. We like to go early, have breakfast at Moose's and then shop, gawk, etc. It seems to really warm up quickly, so a morning trip is a good idea.

I know that ziplining is "the thing," but I would trade it ANY DAY for a catamaran trip ... either a shorter trip to snorkel or over to the island of Lanai to explore and snorkel. Check out Trilogy on-line (we're used them 3 times - all great). Paragon also gets good reviews.

You have reservations for the Feast and the zipline?

San Diego...
Level Contributor
4,027 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: September trip!

The backside road to hana isn't open. It's expected to open in October. Backtracking is a must in this instance.

You definitely won't need a day to explore lahaina. try and explore the Iao Valley...its really great. Also Honolua bay has excellent snorkeling.

Camarillo...
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
4,815 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: September trip!

If you are explorers, then you need to consider driving north to the blowhole and some of the great beaches along the way on that drive. Kapalua Bay is a great swinnign and snorkeling beach. For that "all alone" feeling, take a walk on Oneloa Beach (park in the lot outside the ironwoods and take the path down to the beach), stop at Honoloa Beach for some great snorkeling. Just the walk down the path through the tropical growth is worth the stop. And the blowhole is great fun.

Gotta agree with BL - Haleakela is one of the 'Must See' trips. And not just for the sunrise experience. The terrain up there is truly otherworldly.

Lombard, IL
Level Contributor
790 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: September trip!

Check out Mex25's trip report. Not the first time I've read road to Hana is really dry now - no waterfalls. Somebody said even O'heo Gulch is dry. Keep on eye on it before your trip.

Mount Vernon,Il
Level Contributor
739 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: September trip!

As much as I enjoyed the road to Hana I believe for the sake of making it to the next anniverary I would think of perhaps a less stressful idea. No matter how much you like to explore together I think I would find something else to bond the relationship.

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
196 posts
450 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: September trip!

I'm stuck because she REALLY thinks it'll be a good idea! Oh no! I hope this isn't our last anniversary! :-(

Gig Harbor...
Level Contributor
4,157 posts
167 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: September trip!

djz - the road to Hana is not everyone's cup of tea - but we loved it for the lushness, the vistas, and the black sand beach & park area were lovely. Yes it is slow going, but that allows for you to relax. Although I am curious as to why you think it is a bad idea? Curvy roads? the time? You don't have to go all the way to Oheo if you don't want to.

But a compromise would be head up Haleakala and then visit Iao in the afternoon -

I second the Iao idea and that you don't need an entire day in Lahaina - as well as the go early because it gets really hot in the afternoons.

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
45,244 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: September trip!

There is no short-cut back. If you go all the way to Hana .... you'll have to take the Road to Hana all the way back to the beginning and cut through Central Maui. This is a long day -- and people do it all the time. Just don't plan anything special for the evening.

Marietta, Ga. USA
Level Contributor
516 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: September trip!

Air Maui helicopter ride. I recommend the West Maui/Molokai choice. Words can not describe the views and feelings you get. But one person tried when she left this comment in the comment book after the flight..."Pure orgasmic ecstacy". I'd have to agree.