We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Miserable @ the Whaler right now, HELP?!?!!! Please

Corpus Christi...
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Topic
Miserable @ the Whaler right now, HELP?!?!!! Please

Is anyone out there right now? I've been royally screwed and am in a disaster unit at The Whaler. I can get out of it and move somewhere else and get a full refund from the VRBOer that I rented it from, but I don't know where to stay. I wanted to be close to Whaler's Village, but now I can tell that wasn't important. Its too busy here at this part of the beach and not relaxing and beautiful enough. Can anyone suggest where I should go, I'm going to try to get into a new place tomorrow. Thank you so much

Lynn

Menifee, California
Level Contributor
1,378 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Miserable @ the Whaler right now, HELP?!?!!! Please

Aloha, Lynn

Go up to the Maui Kai...get an oceanfront junior suite(studio) or a 1 bedroom.

The ResortQuest Maui Kaanapali Villas and the Mahana are nice, too, and they are not crowded.

Bryan Brown

BBrown9825@aol.com

Baltimore, MD
Level Contributor
94 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Miserable @ the Whaler right now, HELP?!?!!! Please

It would be nice to know your price range and how long you want to stay.

I'm at the Mana Kai right now...great views, great beach, and very quiet except of course for the waves crashing on the beach. No complaints.

Maryland
Level Contributor
58 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Miserable @ the Whaler right now, HELP?!?!!! Please

Wow - your post is making me nervous. I leave for Maui in 2 1/2 weeks and I am staying at the Whaler. I also rented my unit through VRBO. Hope we didn't rent the same unit. Care to expand on the problems you are having...

Best of luck in moving to a new place. I won't be much help with recommendations. Last time I was in Maui we stayed at the Whaler (not the same unit nor rental company).

Debbie

Boston
Level Contributor
421 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Miserable @ the Whaler right now, HELP?!?!!! Please

There are no "disaster units" at the Whaler. While you can find lots of places that are more quiet than Kaanapali you will be hard pressed to find a place that is more beautiful.

You have previously stayed in Kihei, and that certainly does not qualify as a quiet part of Maui.

How have you been royally screwed and how is it a "disaster unit"?

Las Vegas
Level Contributor
185 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Miserable @ the Whaler right now, HELP?!?!!! Please

You are on Maui, make the best of it.I think a lot of Americans are a bunch of 'WHINNERS".

lwj
Norcal
Level Contributor
2,278 posts
333 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Miserable @ the Whaler right now, HELP?!?!!! Please

Lynn,

Like Rusty, I also have to ask what specifically is wrong with the unit that you have rented....???? HOW have you been "royally screwed"?

You chose a busy resort on one of the most popular beaches on Maui... I hope that you didn't expect to have the beach to yourself....

I know that there are some renovations going on in the courtyard at the Whaler and, from what I understand, tourism is down so there should be other units and other resorts open.

What are you looking for? Fewer people? Less noise? Smaller resort area? A quiet, abandoned beach?

Are you staying on the ground floor at the Whaler.... facing the courtyard or overlooking the pool?

santa barbara
Level Contributor
1,688 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Miserable @ the Whaler right now, HELP?!?!!! Please

Aloha lynnie,

I would call Resort Quest and try to get a studio unit at the Mahana....beautiful views and much less activity than where you are. Good luck! Let us know how you do.

Camarillo...
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
4,706 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Miserable @ the Whaler right now, HELP?!?!!! Please

Not sure what your budget is, but I'd head up to Napili Bay and see if you can luck into something there. Napili Kai and Napili Shores are the two largest properties there. Quieter beach and still only a 10 minute drive to the Ka'anapali scene.

Nor-Cal
Level Contributor
2,344 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Miserable @ the Whaler right now, HELP?!?!!! Please

Lynnie i'll give ya a little break on this one as construction was in full swing on a second pool last week with jacki hammers going in the middle of the afternoon last thursday...

I'll agree with VC snow as i'd book Napilli Kai or the shores in a heartbea tif i was in your shoes.

With the "Aloha airlines slowdown"going on in Hawaii you may be able to pick up that room in a pinch.

Oregon
Level Contributor
4,366 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Miserable @ the Whaler right now, HELP?!?!!! Please

Sapote, it's "whiners". Whiners come from everywhere, they are not strictly American. Although a good number of us do like to whine.

Okay lynnie, is it too loud to get any sleep? That would be the only reason to find a new place. Well I suppose broken plumbing or lack of electricity would be a couple of other reasons. If it is just the beach, then head out to a quieter location. Napili/Kapalua would be first on my list or drive down to Makena or Wailea area beaches for some peace and quiet.