We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

words of wisdom from YOU!

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
193 posts
387 reviews
Save Topic
words of wisdom from YOU!

What are your favorite, most valuable tips for first-timers making the most of a Maui vacation? Anything! From where to eat, beautiful photo ops, maybe even a secluded trail you found on the way to Hana or a beach. Any and all will be greatly appreciated! Mahalo!

pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
23,081 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: words of wisdom from YOU!

Relax! Hang out on the beach. Have coffee/drinks on your lanai. Just enjoy being on Maui. :D

Hana, Hawaii
Level Contributor
7,776 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: words of wisdom from YOU!

Hey! A fellow Texan. What a great republic when have right "djz"?

I've been to Maui about 8 times. Here's my most valuable tip. First time or two I went I was hyper and tried to do it all. I won't list the daily details.

Then I realized that's not what it is about. So I say, do some activities, but don't overplan. What those are you must decide. And you must go to Hana...blah, etc.

The honest question is what is your definition for "making the most of a Maui vacation"?

S W Arkansas
Destination Expert
for Kihei, Maui, Hana, Haleakala National Park
Level Contributor
9,920 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: words of wisdom from YOU!

Hello neighbor,

Like Caddy said many of us are in such a rush to see it all that we miss what Maui is about. Aloha Life..be sure and schedule in relax time. Depends on your style..that might be time at the beach,(many, many great beaches) or exploring Maui in a car (had one set of friends that spent their whole week driving and looking never got in the water).

Reading past trip reports can be very helpful for a new visitor. You can see through others' eyes what they liked and why.

We always take our first time visitors, who are traveling with us, to the Maui Ocean Center. Takes about 2 hours or longer to view. It only has sea life that is found around the Hawaii Islands. In the heat of the day it a great A/C place to enjoy. If history is interesting, then a 45 minute visit to the Sugar Museum (near the sugar mill) is another good middle of the afternoon activity.

Take a softsided cooler in your luggage. Then pack lunch and snacks head to a beach, or up Haleakala for sunset.

Will you be in West or South Maui? What time of year?

Arlington, VA
Level Contributor
1,415 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: words of wisdom from YOU!

I absolutely agree about overplanning - which I did. However, I would suggest more than just sitting on the beach the whole time. Maui is full of wonders and a person would be missing a lot by just sitting on the beach. One of the best days we had was our last day in which we spent the am on the beach & just spent the day roaming.

Vancouver Island
Level Contributor
135 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: words of wisdom from YOU!

pack light! put in everything you think you might need, then reduce the amount by half! Trust me!

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
654 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: words of wisdom from YOU!

I and everyone on this board know nothing. We don't know you and we don't know what you like or don't like to do. Just go at what ever pace you want to go at. Enjoy it. That's it, no magic, no wisdom just enjoy.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
210 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: words of wisdom from YOU!

Remember to wear sunscreen, even if it's cloudy and overcast! Don't underestimate the strength of the Hawaiian sun.

We made a mistake during our first trip to Maui and decided to sit on the beach for 30 minutes on an overcast morning with NO SUNSCREEN on! We were miserable for the next couple of days. My skin has never turned that hue of reddish/purple before. Now we know better and slather on the sunscreen faithfully.

Palm Springs...
Level Contributor
11,440 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: words of wisdom from YOU!

ues the search function...for each item and you will find reams already written...on every topic.

Your ages interests, budget, time of year, are all unknown....its impossible to suggest

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
42,284 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: words of wisdom from YOU!

Bring your own map -- AAA or something professional.

Plano, Texas
Level Contributor
1,554 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: words of wisdom from YOU!

Hi fellow Texan. I assume you got a lot of rain from Dolly this week.....

We have been to Maui many times and love it! The very first time we went, we planned NOTHING! We just did the things we wanted once we got there. The next visits we did "plan" more to do. Relax and enjoy!