We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What's the best luau --- considering price ?

Go Noles!
13 posts
Save Topic
What's the best luau --- considering price ?

I'm paying for 8 people.....

i hear OLL is the best but times 8 = REAL expensive...

what are other good value Luaus?

i think i saw Royal is $70 each.... opinions?

what are the prices of others so i can compare in one thread?

TIA

Camarillo...
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
4,703 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What's the best luau --- considering price ?

Oh my gosh, here we go again. Please, please, please, do a search here in this forum on this topic as there has been volumes written in recent months on the topic.

Unfortunately, this is one of those questions that you can ask of 8 people and get 15 different answers :-) And sadly, there are a few of our members here who have such strong opinions about what makes a good luau that they choose to invalidate anyone else's opinion and create long arguments about the subject.

So if you are paying for 8 people you'll need so headroom on your credit cards because they are not cheap. Tickets will run anywhere from $82 on the low side (Royal Lahaina) to over $100 for Feast at Lele. I believe you can do the show only, without the meal at the Royal Lahiana for under $40. OLL and the Hyatt are just over $90. Here's a couple links to check them out...

http://www.oldlahainaluau.com/flash.html

http://www.mauihawaiiluau.com/hyattluau.php

hawaiiweb.com/maui/activities/night_life.htm

Saint Cloud...
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
26,346 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: What's the best luau --- considering price ?

Royal Lahaina Luau is perhaps the best value as there are a lot of discounts. Not as good as other luaus, but considering the price, its decent.

Kids 5 & under free. Kids under 11 get in free, one per paying adult.

There is also a kids menu in addition to the regular luau menu.

If you are not taking kids, this probably is not the luau for you.

Drums of the Pacific has the best fire knife dancer on Maui.

hawaiiactivities.com/activity/…

www.hawaiiactivityworld.com/maui/luaus/

Menifee, California
Level Contributor
1,378 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What's the best luau --- considering price ?

Aloha!

Skip another activity and KEEP the Old Lahaina Luau. It has a HIGH price for a reason. You get what you pay for. I have been to many luaus on Maui, and I think the Old Lahaina Luau and the Feast at Lele are the best. Royal Lahaina is okay, but if you want to impress and leave a lasting imnpression, I would stick with the Old Lahaina Luau.

lwj
Norcal
Level Contributor
2,278 posts
333 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What's the best luau --- considering price ?

If you are simply interested in the lowest priced lu'au, I noticed a price of $19 for a lu'au while walking down Front Street yesterday afternoon.

Don't know which lu'au or how good the show is, how the food is or the type of location.... It may be associated with a presentation of some kind or could be a last minute deal in order to fill up the audience.

You may want to check out the Hyatt lu'au specials if you are staying there. Some of the other resorts/hotels have special rates for their guests... have heard of some 2 for 1 specials.

Good luck!

Camarillo...
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
4,703 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What's the best luau --- considering price ?

If you saw a $19 price for a luau in Lahaina, it was almost certainly a promotiona that requires being on the receiving end of a high pressure sales pitch to purchase a time share. If you are going to be on the island for several weeks and have a thick skin it might be an intersting half day diversion. But for most travelers, giving up a half day of your hard earned vacation to be pressured into making that kind of purchase.

San Francisco
Level Contributor
10 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: What's the best luau --- considering price ?

I just got back from Maui yesterday and went to the Feast at LeLe. Although it was a little pricier ($110) it was so worth it. Gourmet food, excellent service, and any kind of drink you can imagine. Alot of the other places do a buffet where the food is so so and you sit on plastic chairs with strangers. It's very romantic you get served and you have your own private table. The performers were fantastic and behind them is the ocean and the sunset not the back drop of the stage.

Camarillo...
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
4,703 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What's the best luau --- considering price ?

Sheesh - incomplete sentence! wish TA had an edit feature!

Meant to say "For most travelers, giving up a half day of your hard earned vacation in paradise to be pressured into making that kind of purchase is not really worth the discount."

Florence, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Oregon Coast
Level Contributor
6,005 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What's the best luau --- considering price ?

RLL can be had for $50 pp via Boss Frog with one child free per paying adult. Attended last October and enjoyed it.

Marietta, Ga. USA
Level Contributor
516 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What's the best luau --- considering price ?

OLL is the best, so far, IMO but I'm going to try the Feast at Lele this year just b/c I haven't been.

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
2,699 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: What's the best luau --- considering price ?

It is possible that what lwj saw was an ad for a local fund raiser or community lu'au that occur occassionally. Here is a link to a recent thread on these inexpensive events.

I'm still hoping to attend one. Perhaps I'll be lucky to walk down the street and see an ad for a $19.00 lu'au :-)

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g29220-i86-k212401…