We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Something to do in Ka'anapali area for 1/2 a day?

Teaneck, New Jersey
Level Contributor
515 posts
97 reviews
Save Topic
Something to do in Ka'anapali area for 1/2 a day?

We will be in Maui from Aug 24-31, with 2 days at the Westin Maui and 5 days at the Westin Maui Villas. On Aug 25 (Monday), we want to spend most of the day relaxing at the Westin using the pools and beach and snorkeling at Black Rock, but we would like to do something for maybe 3 hours that's within a 1/2 hour drive of the resort. We want an activity, not something food or shopping related. Can anyone suggest something we can do on our own that wouldn't cost too much. Other days we will be doing Ziplining, Haleakala National Park, Road to Hana, and the Maui Ocean Center, so none of these please. Maybe something involving waterfalls or special beaches or a nice attraction which isn't too expensive. Thanks!

Camarillo...
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
4,713 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Something to do in Ka'anapali area for 1/2 a day?

Head a little ways north to the Napili / Kapalua area (10-15 min drive). If you like golf, the Kapalua golf academy has a very nice 18 hole putting course that is not expensive. If you like hiking, you can hike around what used to be the old Village golf course that was closed a few years ago. Terrific hike with great views. Check in at the Kapalua office. Stop in at the Napili Kai Resort and sit outside at the Whale Watchers Bar for a few drinks and views of this stunning bay.

That area also has some special beaches worth checking out. Kapalua Bay has some excellent snorkeling. North of that is Oneloa Beach. Great place to go for that "private beach all to myself" experience. Almost never anyone there. The next beach north is famous DT Flemming - great boogie boarding. And a few minutes further north is Honoloa Bay. Awesome snorkeling and the hike down to the shore is worth the trip as well.

washington
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
22,273 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Something to do in Ka'anapali area for 1/2 a day?

Go about 10-15 minutes north and hang out at JT Flemming State Park...gorgeous beach to hang out and swim, body board..watch the waves, sun bath! Great spot.

Venice, Florida
Level Contributor
1,608 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Something to do in Ka'anapali area for 1/2 a day?

My daughter and I just did the UFO parasail at Whaler's Village and loved it! We used an Entertainment book coupon, paid $75 for one of us and got the second one free. It took about 2 hours. My husband sat at Leilani's and had a few beers while we did the parasail, then afterward we joined him for some lunch. Very nice day!

Thousand Oaks...
Level Contributor
593 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Something to do in Ka'anapali area for 1/2 a day?

If you like to snorkel, head up to Honolua Bay. I liked it better than Black Rock (mm31). Less than 20-30 min. Also continue on road a way to mmm31(I think) and go to the blow hole. Very interesting to see.

Thousand Oaks...
Level Contributor
593 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Something to do in Ka'anapali area for 1/2 a day?

Sorry, meant to say mm33 for blow hole.

S W Arkansas
Destination Expert
for Kihei, Maui, Hana, Haleakala National Park
Level Contributor
10,397 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Something to do in Ka'anapali area for 1/2 a day?

BlowHole is mm 38..stay safe..that means not to get to close to the "hole" or ocean. Very interesting landscape!!!!!!

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
44,992 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Something to do in Ka'anapali area for 1/2 a day?

I too will recommend you head further north for some great snorkeling. Black Rock is mediocre at best. You can go to either Kahekili Beach Park (airport beach), very near to you or to Kapalua Bay, Honolua Bay or DT Fleming. You won't regret not snorkeling at Black Rock compared to these places!!

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
86 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Something to do in Ka'anapali area for 1/2 a day?

A bit off topic but make sure you wear trashy clothes for your zipline tour (especially if you are doing the West Maui tour). We just did this last week and couldn't believe how dirty we were at the end! It was a highlight of the trip though.

Teaneck, New Jersey
Level Contributor
515 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Something to do in Ka'anapali area for 1/2 a day?

Thanks, we're gonna do Haleakala zip lining (Skyline Eco-Adventures) and the National Park on Wednesday, will being sure to bring clothes that we don't mind getting dirty

new hampshire
Level Contributor
453 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Something to do in Ka'anapali area for 1/2 a day?

A little bit different is to take a drive up to Kapalua and see dragons teeth. Then stop for a sandwich at the Honolua General Store - cheap and good!