We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

ResortQuest Mahana at Kaanapali, color me confused

Los Angeles, CA
Level Contributor
64 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
ResortQuest Mahana at Kaanapali, color me confused

I notice that ResortQuest Mahana at Kaanapali gets high marks here on TA. Is one better off booking through VRBO or RQ directly? What are the advantages/disadvantages for both?

Gig Harbor...
Level Contributor
4,157 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: ResortQuest Mahana at Kaanapali, color me confused

Going through VRBO - Advantages are you can choose a specific unit - decor, view, location - generally a lower nightly rate. Drawbacks are possibly old photos, paying all costs up front, damage and cleaning deposits should be figured into your budget, and many owners do not take credit cards.

Going through RQ means you are rolling the dice on the specific quality of a unit, as they are in a pool of rentals - but should also mean a consistency of cleanliness, on site maintenance for any issues and the possibility of switching units if you are unhappy with the one you get.

This is a very personal choice - many folks really swear by VRBO and many swear at them - same goes for the RQ or others of this type who basically act as rental agency for privately owned units.

Ohio
Level Contributor
289 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: ResortQuest Mahana at Kaanapali, color me confused

We (mid 20's couple) just returned from a week at the Mahana (Unit #1017).

We booked through VRBO due to the cost savings, and were glad we did.

Unit #1017 was BEAUTIFUL -- check out the owner's website: www.stayonmaui.com

The pictures on the website are VERY up-to-date, and the owner was VERY professional (a pleasure to work with!).

The pros/cons posted by the previous reviewer are VERY accurate as well!

Albuquerque, New...
Level Contributor
3,312 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: ResortQuest Mahana at Kaanapali, color me confused

We've stayed in 1017, and tried to do so again in Feb 2009, but it was booked; agree that it is Fantastic.

One additional consideration in the RQ/VRBO debate is that VRBO rentals often have 30-60 day cancellation deadlines while RQ is (I'm guessing) in the area of three days. However, the typical price advantage of VRBO is the deciding factor in our book.

We have a number of friends that have stayed at Mahana and the main complaints have been between floors 4 & 7 where palm trees sometimes block the view.

4. Re: ResortQuest Mahana at Kaanapali, color me confused

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 October 2009, 21:19