We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First time flying to Hawaii

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
101 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
First time flying to Hawaii

Hi everyone,

My hubby and I are going to Hawaii for the first time in January.

We're going to Oahu and Maui. I have a hotel in mind for Oahu, but can anyone recommend a hotel in Maui? We're in out late 20s and are looking for a fun and relaxing hotel. I'd prefer it if there were no kids...but I sure that will be hard to find.

Thanks so much!!!

Palm Springs...
Level Contributor
11,440 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First time flying to Hawaii

use the left menu.... the higher the price the less the kids....inversely the cheaper the rates the more kids.... Places with theme pools will be kid magnets.

Try the Four Seasons. or Ritz Carlton....

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
44,597 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First time flying to Hawaii

First -- don't wait around to make reservations. January is a popular time of the year ... HIGH season.

What is your nightly accomodations budget? Are you familiar with Maui? Do you want to stay in West Maui or South Maui? What do you like to do? Do you want a more isolated hotel ... or something with easy access to shops and restaurants?

Kids - January should no be too bad. There are a couple resorts to avoid. Please provide us with more information. And you can talk about your Honolulu ideas as well.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
101 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First time flying to Hawaii

Thanks for replying.

For Oahu - we're thinking of staying at the Hilton hawaiian village and i'm totally clueless when it comes to Maui.

Our budget is around 300 per night and we're thiking of staying Jan 11-17th. As for activites, we're up for anything - snorkeling, jetskiing, shopping, swimming, relaxing, sightseeing etc...

Any ideas are much appreciated.

Chicagoland
Level Contributor
21,060 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: First time flying to Hawaii

In January most mainland kids will be in school. Given your budget and desire to be active, try the Sheraton in Kaanapali.

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
44,597 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First time flying to Hawaii

On Oahu -- the Hilton Hawaiian Village is a kid-magnet. Very amusement parkish atmosphere. Lots of families and conventioners. Expansive grounds. A beat off the beaten path for Waikiki.

Maui ... you "might" not be able to get an ocean view for that amount ... maybe. Keep in mind taxes and often resort fees.

The Sheraton Maui (Ka'napali) is our favorite ... if you can still get a room. Excellent location, grounds, pool ... easy access to Whaler's Village. Second choice would be the Hyatt. The Ka'anapali Beach Hotel is popular with many -- some of the rooms are not so good. The Westin is another kid- magnet.

The resorts in South Maui are more expensive ... although I don't know why.

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
46,451 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: First time flying to Hawaii

You might want to second guess your stay at the Hilton Hawaiian Village. Kid magnet all the way. There will be no jet skiing around Maui in January. It is prohibited from Dec. through May because of the whales.

The hotels in south Maui are more expensive because they are considered higher end. Grand Wailea, Four Seasons and the Fairmont.

Considering your age, if you like a lot of people and night life stay in Kaanapali. For a more intimate,quiet experience try south Maui.

San Francisco
Level Contributor
78 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: First time flying to Hawaii

Oh yes ELE, HD is right the Ritz in Kapalua is outstanding. Having traveled the world I know 1st class and what is expensive too expensive to bring the little ones along.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
101 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: First time flying to Hawaii

Thanks for your replies, everyone.

I didn't know that the hilton hawaiian village was a kid magnet...I've heard such great things about it though....maybe I'll just have to deal with the kids running around :) Shouldn't they be in school in Jan anyway? :)

I'm going to look into the sheraton and the other recs - thank you!

Anyone else?

Florence, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Oregon Coast
Level Contributor
6,051 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: First time flying to Hawaii

Just so you know, Januaray is whale season, so there will be no jet skiing or parasailing.

Saint Cloud...
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
27,181 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: First time flying to Hawaii

Normally I agree with those who say "don't wait to make reservations for January".

January is one of the peak months, but visitor count is way down this year. Some of the hotels have started to discount and/or have 4th or 5th day free or free parking.

If you make reservations now, hopefully you can change them if you see a good deal come up.

Hilton Hawaiian Village shouldn't have too many kids in January.