We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Your ultimate maui day

Elk Ridge UT
Level Contributor
70 posts
52 reviews
Save Topic
Your ultimate maui day

My husbands 40th birthday is September 9th. For his big 4..0 he wanted to go to Maui, so that's where we will be. We are with 2 other couples. Just wondering what your ultimate maui day would be. What would you do, where would you eat? This is our first trip to Maui. We've been to Oahu and the big island. We're active and like hiking and sightseeing, but don't mind a good snooze on the beach. Let me know what you would do if you had the ultimate maui birthday!

West Covina, CA
Level Contributor
225 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Your ultimate maui day

Start by having breakfast at Da Kitchen in Kahului(Or Kihei depending on which is closer to where you are staying.

Then head off to Iao Valley State Park. Hike through the hills and swim if you feel like it. Watch a few locals jump off the bridge.

Now if you swam you can go get cleaned up and if not you can go stroll through Paia and check out the quaint town and its galleries and stores. Have a nice cup of coffee and just enjoy it there.

After that it's not a far drive to the lookout and you can watch the windsurfers and surfers.

Depending on the time of your reservation, you can also explore Haiku which is a nice detour town that is very low key.

Then you can goto Mama's Fish House for your dinner reservation. I didn't recommend lunch because the food at Da Kitchen will fill you up until dinner.

Then back to your hotel/condo, hopefully beach/oceanfront, and walk along the waves enjoying a beautiful Maui night.

Elk Rapids, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Lanai
Level Contributor
9,453 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Your ultimate maui day

Begin your day by making a pot of island grown coffee. Sit out on the lanai and talk with your husband about what you will be doing that day as you take in all the great smells and listen to the island wake for the day.

Head over to the Gazebo for some macadamia nut pancakes for breakfast.

Go to Lahaina and poke around front street for a couple of hours then head over to Da Kitchen for lunch.

After lunch maybe a drive to Iao needle for some sight seeing.

Head on back "home" for some beach/snorkel time maybe.

On the way there if where ever you are staying has outdoor grills stop and get some fresh seafood and side dishes.

Cook your own dinner, sit on the lanai, have a nice tropical drink. Talk to your husband about what you did that day as you enjoy your home cooked dinner and watch the best sunsets you will ever see.

I realize you said you would be with 2 other couples but I would set aside the morning/evening lanai time for just you and your husband...

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
42,310 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Your ultimate maui day

nvrdull ... where are you staying??

Elk Ridge UT
Level Contributor
70 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Your ultimate maui day

We are staying at Mahana. I hear you can't beat the ocean view! Great thing to wake up to on your birthday. Hey all I woke up to were 5 crying kids needing my attention on my birthday. He's got it made just with that!

Birmingham, Alabama
Level Contributor
5,487 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Your ultimate maui day

Okay, when I stayed at the Mahana, I started and ended EVERY day with a cup of coffee on the lanai and a glass of wine on the lanai. You really CAN'T beat the ocean views, and you can't beat the feeling of sitting right there on your own lanai and watching Maui light up in the morning, or the sun set in the evening between Molokai and Lanai.

I think the ultimate Maui birthday would be just to BE there! But ...

Start with coffee on the Lanai, early ... I like Bill's idea about the Gazebo for breakfast. YUM! There will probably be a wait, so don't be in a hurry. The view is worth it.

As long as you are there, you could spend the morning at Napili, or drive up to Kapalua Bay and do some snorkeling/relaxing. Honolua Bay is another good option for snorkeling in the a.m.

You could also drive up the coast of West Maui...there is some awesome scenery and places to walk out to, take photos, just enjoy your day. The much hated Maui Revealed book does have some good info about things to see in this part of the island.

Assuming you come back towards Kaanapali in the afternoon, I'd do one of two things: Grab dinner at Honokowai Deli (yum, yum! like gourmet to go!) and get a nice bottle of wine to enjoy with it on the lanai. Or make a reservation somewhere in Lahaina for around sunset ... stop back by the condo to clean up and then head out for dinner.

Happy Birthday to your hubby ... hope it's wonderful!

S W Arkansas
Destination Expert
for Kihei, Maui, Hana, Haleakala National Park
Level Contributor
9,926 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Your ultimate maui day

GREAT day Konagirl you nailed it!!!

Would only add to check papers and see when high tide is. Then if it fits the schedule arrive at BlowHole (mm 38) to see the action. Even if you can't make high tide, the drive up Hwy 30 to mm38 is beautiful. The area around the BlowHole is an "acid zone"..go see.

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
42,310 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Your ultimate maui day

Birthday dinner, I would recommend Leilani's in Whaler's Village. Get a table by the rail - or in the front section. Let the person taking the reservations know that it is your husband's BD ... and you should get a candle in your Hula Pie!

Perhaps have a drink at the pool bar at the Sheraton first, watch the diver and his torch take a header off Black Rock. Then Leilani's, a short walk from the Sheraton along the beach path.

NorCal
Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Your ultimate maui day

Good info so far, I'll take it another direction.

Depending on likes and comfort level:

One of my fav's is is The Pipiwai trail (since you like hiking). There are several great waterfalls along the way with the final destination being 400-feet Waimoku Falls. The Bamboo forest alone is worth it. With a small group it's especially fun.

Looong drive though. (Hana Highway)

Taking a Zodiac to/near Lanai for dolphins and snorkeling was a blast. We got lucky & saw lots of dolphins. ( 2 or 3 different types )

Getting pounded by the waves at Big Beach is something we really, really enjoy... if you're into that sort of thing. Just be safe. Once again, with a small group it's especially fun.

On a side note some people are reporting Big Beach to be crowded. Say it ain't so. We have always had that HUGE beach all to ouselves.

(7 trips to Mauai, 7 excursions to Big Beach)

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
42,996 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Your ultimate maui day

Getting pounded by the big waves at Big Beach land a lot of unexpecting visitors in the hospital. This beach is no play ground.

Birmingham, Alabama
Level Contributor
5,487 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Your ultimate maui day

Another thing I really enjoy is Trilogy's day-trip to Lanai... the sunset sail leaves around 10 from Lahaina, I think ... you get awesome cinnamon rolls for breakfast, sandwiches for lunch, and a wonderful dinner prepared on the beach in Lanai.

The boat is great -- never crowded when I've been -- and being out on the water is so much fun. You spend the day at the beach -- there's snorkel gear, volleyball, or you can take a tour of Lanai. You sail back around sunset ... complete with a glass of champagne if I remember correctly.

That would be a great birthday for me, too.

A day trip to Lanai on your own might be another option...