We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Traveling from Oahu to Maui

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
101 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Traveling from Oahu to Maui

I looked around and it seems like the flight is about 37 minutes. I would love to find another way of getting to Maui from Oahu, and avoid the two hour pre flight time as well as the time we're going to spend at the airport once we arrive in Maui.

Are there ferries? Boats? etc?

Thanks!

Lagrangeville, NY
Level Contributor
2,857 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Traveling from Oahu to Maui

The superferry is 3 hours one way, and you are supposed to check in 30 minutes before sailing.

You don't really need 2 hours pre flight for interisland travel. I have done 1 hour with no problems.

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
45,873 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Traveling from Oahu to Maui

There really are only two ways to get to Maui from Oahu. The superferry or the air plane. The airlines generally ask you to check in 90min. before an inter-island flight. You probably could get away with an hour. Much quicker to fly.

Saint Cloud...
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
27,017 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Traveling from Oahu to Maui

Much quicker to fly.

As far as the Superferry, they are operating with no concern for the environment. Please don't consider taking it.

Menlo Park...
Level Contributor
5,281 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Traveling from Oahu to Maui

The ferry drops you in Kuhului anyway, even if it weren't such an ecological disaster. A way to save a lot of time is to fly into the west Maui airport (JHM) instead of Kahului. Baggage claim and car rent are both a lot faster at the small airport, plus you don't have to drive very far, assuming you're staying on west maui. Island Air has frequent flights from HNL as does GO! (if GO! is still! flying!).

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
44,036 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Traveling from Oahu to Maui

Consider JHM if you are staying in Wat Maui. Keep in mind that the rental car selection is much smaller (if that's important to you).

Ever -- that's the down-side of island hopping. it does take time. I'd arrive 90 minutes before take off ... certainly not two hours. You don't need AG inspection, either.

The up-side ... what a view!

Sherman, Texas
Level Contributor
45 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Traveling from Oahu to Maui

I recently caught a flight from Oahu to Big Island and arrived at the airport just a hair short of an hour prior to take off AND with checked luggage - no problem. Note: it WAS an early Sunday morning flight when the airport was not crowded...

West Covina, CA
Level Contributor
225 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Traveling from Oahu to Maui

Paddle surf like the pros!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
101 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Traveling from Oahu to Maui

Thanks everyone.

I'm pretty sure we're going to end up flying.

9. Re: Traveling from Oahu to Maui

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 October 2009, 16:17