We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advice on things to do in Maui?

Minnesota
Level Contributor
64 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Advice on things to do in Maui?

Four of us will be visiting Hawaii in December, and are currently debating on whether to stay on one island for the whole 7 days or to split it up. Does anyone have any advice regarding this? We have several things we we definitely want to see/do while in Maui, but other suggestions would be well appreciated. Do you think that 7 days in Maui would be too much?

S W Arkansas
Destination Expert
for Kihei, Maui, Hana, Haleakala National Park
Level Contributor
10,545 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Advice on things to do in Maui?

You will only get to see a very small portion of what Maui has to offer in 7 days.I would not try to split 7 days..you would waste a day in travel from one island to another.

Camarillo...
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
4,735 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Advice on things to do in Maui?

Most of the regulars in here would agree that you need 10 days or more to start splitting your time on multiple islands. You will pretty much losa a day of your vacation moving from one island to another. Stay with Maui for your entire week and you'll find plenty to keep you occupied. Take some time to read through the FAQs on this forum and search through the activities threads in here. You didn't mention what you are particularly interested in, but you will find everything from zipline adventures to snorkeleing, hiking, horseback riding, ocean excursions, world class golf and much more.

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Advice on things to do in Maui?

7 days is not long enough. I'm heading back for my 4th time shortly and still havent done everything.

And as someone else said, why lose a day of vacation if you only have 7? Go to another island the next time.

Mount Vernon,Il
Level Contributor
739 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Advice on things to do in Maui?

Seven day stay...Maui's the way!!!!!! Enjoy!

Ohio
Level Contributor
289 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Advice on things to do in Maui?

Stay your whole 7 days on Maui...

I just spent my first 7 days on Maui, and I could have used 7 more. Don't rush yourself! There is SO MUCH to see and SO MUCH to do on the island!

sturbridge
Level Contributor
138 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Advice on things to do in Maui?

My wife and I spent 8 days in April on Maui and saw 1/10 of the Island if that. We spent 4 days on the west side and the other 3 in Hana (half of the last day in Lahaina to get tattoos). Seven days was way too short for Maui, so I wouldn't have imagined going to another Island.

Springfield...
Level Contributor
33 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Advice on things to do in Maui?

I'm not saying this to disagree with everyone else's posts. However, you CAN do quite a bit on Maui in just 7 days.

My wife and I went just a few weeks ago and had a very full Maui experience. However, if we were to do it again, we'd relax more and do less.

Here's a list of what we did in 8 days:

Snorkel (5 places, molokini)

Road to Hana (full day)

Sunrise on Haleakala

Tour of the stars at the Hyatt

Lots of beach time

Parasailing

Mama's and lots of good dining

Luau

More...

My point is, you can "do maui" in 7 days, but you're either going to leave things out, or you're going to feel rushed.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
471 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Advice on things to do in Maui?

I have to agree with all of the above posters. We absolutely didn't do everything we wanted in 8 days and we will definitely go back some day. Enjoy Maui this time around, and then decide whether you want to focus on the more commericalized island of Oahu or the more scenic island of Kauai on your next trip. Maui is a perfect balance of both in my opinion.

arkansas
Level Contributor
472 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Advice on things to do in Maui?

If you haven't ever been to Hawaii and don't know if you will ever go back, then stay the first or last day on Oahu. That way you can see Wakiki, Pearl Harbor and get a taste as to why that is all the time you need in Honolulu!

10. Re: Advice on things to do in Maui?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 October 2009, 23:18