We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car on Maui

Sydney
3 posts
Save Topic
Car on Maui

Hi

Travelling to Maui for 6 nights in November for honeymoon, staying at the Sheraton. Do you need a car on Maui ? We are not mad site seeing people but it would be nice to see some of the sites?

Also what are the places not to miss?

Thanks

Elk Ridge UT
Level Contributor
70 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Car on Maui

IMO you need a car. I would have missed out on the Haleakala sunrise, Hana, Iao needle, the blowhole, even just getting to different beaches to snorkel,tons of different activities that we needed to drive to. I can't image going to Maui for the first time and missing out on all the diversity of Maui.

If you're not really into sight seeing, I might try to get a car the first couple of days and take it all in. Then spend the rest of your time on the beach.

Read through some trip reports to get a feel of what Maui is really about and maybe you can decide from there on your plan of action.

Happy Honeymooning!

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
42,274 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Car on Maui

Yes, you need a car. You need it to get back and forth from the airport and see the sites. Although - if I were to be stranded somewhere, the Sheraton Maui would be very, very high on my list! :)

Reserve a car at the airport -- and you're ready to go.

Menlo Park...
Level Contributor
4,942 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Car on Maui

The Sheraton runs a convenient shuttle into several spots in Lahaina to take you shopping and dining. But you'll want to see the rest of the island. Plus a rental car is the cheapest (only?) way to get to your hotel from the airport. You can rent a car for just a few days, but weekly rental may work out cheaper. We stay in the area too and some days the car just sits there.

You'll hear about the drive to Hana, which is not to be missed. Now that the road around the island has reopened, you can extend that drive to a full circle and get a good sense of the island.

4. Re: Car on Maui

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 October 2009, 13:21