We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

T or F...can't use Alamo Kiosk for Costcotravel car rental?

Washington State
Level Contributor
77 posts
Save Topic
T or F...can't use Alamo Kiosk for Costcotravel car rental?

Did I hear in a earlier post that if you go through Costco Travel to rent your car (Alamo in our case), that you can't use the "self-serve" kiosk when picking up your car and instead must wait in line like everyone else? Are you sure?

Thanks!

Beaverton, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Cannon Beach
Level Contributor
6,100 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: T or F...can't use Alamo Kiosk for Costcotravel car rental?

f as om false--------i used it this past april---what really helps if you fill in your info on the costco/alamo site

Reedsport, Oregon
Level Contributor
3,981 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: T or F...can't use Alamo Kiosk for Costcotravel car rental?

Yep it's definitely false. We have used a kiosk every time we used Costco.

Beaverton, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Cannon Beach
Level Contributor
6,100 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: T or F...can't use Alamo Kiosk for Costcotravel car rental?

after you book your car there is a link to somethng called "SAVE TIME" which lets you fill in all the necessary info for you and your 2nd driver so when you use the kisok all the info pops up and all you have to do is verify --- really speeds the process up rather then filling it in while standing at the kiosk

Washington State
Level Contributor
77 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: T or F...can't use Alamo Kiosk for Costcotravel car rental?

I am soooo glad to hear I was wrong about not being able to use the kiosk. By the way, Lougee, because of you and your posts about renting cars through Costco travel, I got a great deal! Compact car from Alamo, Oct 20-Oct31, $184.39 total. I haven't been able to find it cheaper anywhere yet, but I keep checking just in case.

Oregon
Level Contributor
4,366 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: T or F...can't use Alamo Kiosk for Costcotravel car rental?

Beeeeeep, False, I know you already know but just wanted to add my input. This Costco member was in and out from the kiosk in about 2 minutes. I make sure to give all of the driver info when I make the reservation and it is just too easy at the kiosk. We used it in May of this year. You just go from the kiosk, out to the lot and then pick your car from the cars in your size category. In May, the midsize cars were the farthest away but no big deal.

Eugene, Oregon
Level Contributor
26,852 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: T or F...can't use Alamo Kiosk for Costcotravel car rental?

Can you use the Alamo kiosk if you are using a coupon? (Entertainment Book)?

sacramento
Level Contributor
1,028 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: T or F...can't use Alamo Kiosk for Costcotravel car rental?

Just my 2cents about Costco car rentals. I've had much better luck and deals here than either at Priceline or Hotwire. I have an 8.78 day mid-size car rental on the Big Island from oct 25 through Nov. 2 and the total price including taxes was $140.00. It was through Alamo. Definitely my cheapest deal yet.

To address the question you can use the self-serve Kiosk but if you purchased with a name than is slightly different than your credit car, i.e. Bill instead of William, the Kiosk will not work. So always rent using the name as written on the card.

Bill

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
609 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: T or F...can't use Alamo Kiosk for Costcotravel car rental?

When you use the kiosk - do you not have to sign the "final" paperwork/contract? We always have 2 drivers listed but usually, 1 picks up the car and 1 waits with the kids to get bags.

In the past, we've always had to go inside to sign - is this no longer required?

thx, lwbc

Beaverton, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Cannon Beach
Level Contributor
6,100 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: T or F...can't use Alamo Kiosk for Costcotravel car rental?

i dont remember actually signing any papers when i used the kiosk this past april

San Francisco
Level Contributor
197 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: T or F...can't use Alamo Kiosk for Costcotravel car rental?

One caveat....I think. I booked my Alamo rental through Costco but as part of a hotel/car package. The Alamo website never accepted my confirmation number to allow me to input any info beforehand (that's ssuming that I had to do so in order to use the kiosk) because I booked via a "tour operator." The Costco rep then told me that I was out of luck and had to stand in line like everyone else.

We didn't have to put this to the test as there was no line at the Alamo station and we were out of there in minutes anyway without having to use the kiosk. However, although I'm still not sure what the straight story is on this, you MAY get tripped up if you get the car as part of a package and IF it is necessary to check in online prior to your arrival and use of the kiosk.....maybe. Although I hope that I'm wrong about this because we're going again to Maui next year and plan to use Alamo/Costco again. It was a good deal with or without the kiosk access.