We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Maui Location/Condo Suggestions Please!!!

Dallas
7 posts
Save Topic
Maui Location/Condo Suggestions Please!!!

My family of 4 (2 adults and 2 children ages 5 and 7) are going to be in Maui from 12/7-12/14.

I currently have reservations at the Sheraton at a really good rate of $184.50. I guesstimate that with taxes and fees the daily is more like $227 per night.

First: Is the Sheraton on the part of the island that has the warmer winter weather? I read that the weather is nice year round but also that certain parts of the island have more wind and rain in the winter but am getting conflicting info on which parts those are.

Second: I am thinking that it would be more cost effective and convenient to get a condo so we could cook some of our own meals.

Does anyone have suggestions of really nice condos that are on the nicer winter weather side of the island that would be comparable to what I will be paying at Sheraton? I am willing to go a little higher since we'd be saving $$ by eating in some meals.

Any info/suggestions would be most appreciated!!!

Thank you!

Palm Springs...
Level Contributor
11,440 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Maui Location/Condo Suggestions Please!!!

well for 5 years I took my family to the Napili Surf Condo at Napili bay... its one of the best kids bays and is out of the honkey tonk of stuff to the south.

Its only 2 story and has max of one beds, but the location will knock your sox off.... very family oriented and quiet.... 3 little 2 story buildings

A condo will save you about $150 to $200 a day for food in Maui for your family

before you laugh it off....look at their site.....

Menifee, California
Level Contributor
1,378 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Maui Location/Condo Suggestions Please!!!

Aloha!

I like the Maui Kaanapali Villas....great beach, pretty grounds, all new pool areas, good restaurant on site, and very peaceful. make no mistake; this is NOT the Sheraton. It is a nice 3 star place that is good for families! You will get a full kitchen, A/C, daily maid service.

Bryan Brown

BBrown9825@aol.com

Washington
Level Contributor
1,783 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Maui Location/Condo Suggestions Please!!!

If you got that kind of rate for the Sheraton, consider yourself very fortunate! You will have an incredible time. I would stay put. There are ways to save on food and still stay at the Sheraton. Whaler's Village and the ABC store are very close. Whaler's Village also has a McD. There is also a CJs deli close by. The Sheraton does have mini fridges in the rooms.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
389 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Maui Location/Condo Suggestions Please!!!

If you'd rather be in a condo there are plenty of them to be found in sunnier West and South Maui!

I think you have a great rate at the Sheraton, it is a fabulous resort hotel with a great beach for kids the age of yours, the pool is great as well, the kids can feed koi in the mornings! For a resort, the Sheraton is a special place! Eating out for five days around Kaanapali can hurt though, the TA'ers can help with that too!

Sidney, Ohio
Level Contributor
225 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Maui Location/Condo Suggestions Please!!!

Mind if I ask how you swung that rate at the Sheraton? That is an amazing deal! I stay there last October and you will love it. As someone stated above, there are ways to save on food without going the condo route.

Chicagoland
Level Contributor
21,207 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Maui Location/Condo Suggestions Please!!!

That's a very good price, but you can rent a condo in South Maui for less and save by eating 'in' some of the time. You'd have more room, a private BR for Mom and Dad, two bathrooms, a private lanai or balcony -- everything a hotel has except $$$ room service. You might have to walk across pokey Kihei Road (2 lanes, 20 MPH) to the beach if you pay under $150 -- or maybe even find something ON the beach side of the road for the same price as the hotel. Early December is usually a slow season and condo owners do discount then. Take a tour on VRBO. Look at condos in the Kamaole Beaches area of South Kihei and some in Wailea.

Often Kapalua and Napili in West Maui get some wind and rain in winter. Anything south of there should be fine -- West (NW lobe of the island) or South Maui (SW coast). It's a little easier to tour the rest of the island from South.

Camarillo...
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
4,764 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Maui Location/Condo Suggestions Please!!!

Gotta add my WOW to the rate you got for the Sheraton. It is a marvelous resort close to all the action in West Maui, but still has a bit of a quiet laid back feel.

As ChiSue mentioned, Napili and Kapalua can be a bit more windy and rainy during the winter. Plus, those beaches get a heavier north swell at that time of year which would be a bit rough for your youngsters. South Maui (Kihei, Wailea, Makena) would be a safer bet if you are determined to bail on the Sheraton.

Poke in to www.wizardpub.com then click on the Maui link on the home page. From there you can click on to nearly all of the condo and hotel resorts on the island. You will see an aerial photo with a review and rack rate pricing for the selected property.

Dallas
7 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Maui Location/Condo Suggestions Please!!!

Thank you for all the advice and suggestions!

I got this rate right off of Sheraton's Website back in May. I almost missed out on my Maui trip because I booked the room and forgot to confirm my airfare and lost my seats. Then I found more seats for another day but the Sheraton promotional rates were gone. I kept checking back and was lucky to find them again. The room is for a mountain view so I am hoping for a free upgrade once we get there.

I think I'll stay put and just try to have breakfast items on hand for most days and alternate between eating out for lunch and dinner the rest.

This is my first trip to Hawaii and I CAN'T WAIT!!!!

Thanks again.

West Covina, CA
Level Contributor
225 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Maui Location/Condo Suggestions Please!!!

If you have the right room you can get a free Luau show at the Sheraton!

Palm Springs...
Level Contributor
11,440 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Maui Location/Condo Suggestions Please!!!

as a reality check...staying in a hotel will add 150 to 250 a day to your food budget.........Id cut my room rate to snag a guest that would drop another 200 a night.....