We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help! Only 3.5 months until the wedding & looking for beach

Greenacres, WA
Level Contributor
704 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Help! Only 3.5 months until the wedding & looking for beach

Okay i'm really trying to avoid any of the wedding companies and planners.

I've found our reverend we want, Keith Pagan (http://www.reverendkeithpagan.com/ ) but i'm not sure what if anything we need to do so we can get married on the beach.

I've heard there are No weddings allowed on Kaanapali but Kapalua was available and Free.

Do we need to call anyone or do anything to have a wedding on the beach there?

Can we just show up and have a small ceremony?

Thanks for any help/suggestions about this.

Lombard, IL
Level Contributor
790 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help! Only 3.5 months until the wedding & looking for beach

There were a couple of threads about this a few months ago. There is a new law that requires your reverend to have a permit for the beach. It was a simple/cheap request.

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
43,975 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help! Only 3.5 months until the wedding & looking for beach

Swirlz5, if you pay anyone a gratuity for your wedding you will need a permit. It doesn't matter whether it's a payment or a donation as far as I can tell. Your officiant should be able to handle that for you.

Kapalua will be a wonderful beach for a wedding. You can just show up and it is free. You will have to pay for the permit though. Much better than Kaanapali anyway!!

Greenacres, WA
Level Contributor
704 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help! Only 3.5 months until the wedding & looking for beach

Thank you, i'll email Keith about the permit. I just want everything planned out as much as possible & didn't want to pay for any full package I found online.

los angeles
Level Contributor
1,845 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help! Only 3.5 months until the wedding & looking for beach

You can not just get married anywhere now. I thought i had posted this a while back to you that YOu couldn't get married on Kaanapali beach anylonger. the law prohibits that. Last year when we went yes there were plenty of weddings. I used a wedding coordinator it was cheap and worry free. but since you don't want go that route YOU will have to get a license and a permit to marry.. the license you have to make an appt for that (our WC did that so no worries for us) and a $60 charge. the beaches NOW you HAVE to get a permit. You can not marry w/ out one. 25 bucks and you need to apply for one.. not sure how cuz again our WC did that.. contact someone there in Hawaii.. I got married on kapulua bay.. beautiful setting

Hana, Hawaii
Level Contributor
7,800 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Help! Only 3.5 months until the wedding & looking for beach

Swirlz, can Keith supply some of the details you are asking about? Just wondering. Not being rude here OK? I've seen lots and lots of weddings in South Maui. (And, I'll show up and cry for free...promise!)

I'd think your wedding planner (as long as legit) could make the locale and "blessed event" details for you. I must say Dengay has some good advice and experience. I say you PM him. Just exactly what are you trying to do? Marry me? Please! :)

Greenacres, WA
Level Contributor
704 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Help! Only 3.5 months until the wedding & looking for beach

I'm not getting a wedding planner. I was just looking for the officiate to do the actual ceremony, i'm taking care of the rest.

As for the post about Kaanapali, I never said I was going to get married ON Kaanapali beach, just staying there at the Westin Villa's (who i'm also going to write since we'll have 19 people all staying there - might just have it early in the morning on the property) but mostly looking like i'll be Kapalua and I might need to write Keith again about getting the permit. It takes like two weeks to make sure to get the permit, i'm not too worried, come rain or shine, heck i'll get married on my lanai if need be :-) I think I can squeeze everyone in our villa. hehehe

I just have a lot of faith it'll work out just as it needs to. I did learn that usually it's the person or company you're using/paying that needs to get the permit for you so i'll be checking with Keith. He just seems very cool & down to earth, we'll be meeting up with him at Starbucks a few days before the wedding.

Greenacres, WA
Level Contributor
704 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Help! Only 3.5 months until the wedding & looking for beach

oh and as for the license you can print out the forms online, they have a number to call for an apt and we'll have the forms filled out before we head down, drop in and get our license. . that part is easy.

I'm going somewhere like Safeway or something for flowers and a cake and then we're all going to OLL for dinner (all 19 of us)

I know it'll be busy all over at any time of day being that we're getting married on Feb 14th but i'm thinking sometime around 8am or 9am somewhere Kapalua.

We arrive Feb 8th and the wedding isn't until the 14th so plenty of time to scope something out :-)

Kihei, Hawaii
Level Contributor
2,721 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Help! Only 3.5 months until the wedding & looking for beach

"I did learn that usually it's the person or company you're using/paying that needs to get the permit for you"

YOU do not need a permit. The permit is for anyone using the public beach for commercial activities. If your officiant is accepting payment for your wedding than HE needs a permit if he is performing the ceremony for you on the beach. The only thing about the permit process that should concern you is whether or not he will be adding the cost of the permit to your quote or if it is included in his price. He should be aware of the process and the deadlines and be on top of it.

Greenacres, WA
Level Contributor
704 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Help! Only 3.5 months until the wedding & looking for beach

thanks for the info. . .it seems he asks for at least a donation of $175.

I mailed off a fully refundable $50 deposit and I've mentioned my interest in Kapalua and he's investigating Kapalua and Napili and the grassy area overlooking the beach.. . wonder if that would need a permit since it's not actually the beach :-)

Kihei, Hawaii
Level Contributor
2,721 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Help! Only 3.5 months until the wedding & looking for beach

I am sure he knows what is public land and what is private land and how to proceed accordingly. This is his kuleana. No on is going to stop your wedding to see a permit and you do not need to worry about this. As I said, his kuleana. If he conducts business on public beaches without procuring his permit, it is not your problem.

Please, do not be offended by this question, but if you are traveling all the way to HI to get married on the beach, are you sure you do not want a Hawaiian spiritual leader to perform the ceremony instead of a recent malihini? Those of us who have deep roots here are struggling to survive during this economic downturn, and it really does hurt us to see visitors come and give their money to malihini, some of whom make a mockery of our ancient traditions, or others who just have deep enough pockets to undercut our basic living wage to get the job. If you change your mind, I can suggest several traditional kuhu who can perform a real Hawaiian ceremony for you.