We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Family Christmas in Maui: what should we do?

canada
Level Contributor
206 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Family Christmas in Maui: what should we do?

We are spending our first Christmas away from home and know this will be a very different (but special) Christmas. We are staying in a condo and wonder what other families do Christmas eve and day to celebrate? Do people decorate trees? Are there any activities planned around the island?

We have 3 kids ages 9-16.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
13,663 posts
308 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Family Christmas in Maui: what should we do?

They do decorate trees, the containers of fresh trees are eagerly awaited!

If you want to see lots of beautiful trees, go on up to Mauna Lani and see the Charity Trees. Give a $ or two if you choose, but otherwise free!

Charity Trees at Mauna Lani

12/09/2008 - 01/05/2009

Now in its 15 year, this annual Yule event features numerous Christmas trees set up and decorated with special themes by various Hawaii Island charitable organizations. Vote for your favorite creatively and festively decorated tree with a minimum $1 donation, helping these groups raise money for needed community services. Mauna Lani Bay Hotel on the Kohala Coast. Call (808) 881-7002.

Also search back a week or so on TA--someone posted a whole list of activities.

Canada
Level Contributor
2,751 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Family Christmas in Maui: what should we do?

Hello willynilly60, we are also from Canada and this will be our second Christmas in maui, 2yrs ago we decorated a little tree for our condo. Instead of buying lots of gifts for each other we picked names out of a hat and had a spending limit and went shopping in Lahaina for hawaiian christmas gifts. (There are 6 of us my husband and myself and 4 boys ages 10 - 18) Its fun to go around in the evening and see all the Christmas lights on the buildings and palm trees. We made our own Maui Christmas tradition and we will be repeating it this year! Whatever you do, you'll be in maui and you'll be having fun!

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
13,663 posts
308 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Family Christmas in Maui: what should we do?

Sorry, willynilly, the Charity Trees are on another island---I had "forum confusion."

To make amends, here is a Maui calendar of December events

http://www.mauimapp.com/calendar/december.htm

and another, with tree lightings so you can see where they have good decos

www.visitmaui.com/calendar.html#december

canada
Level Contributor
206 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Family Christmas in Maui: what should we do?

Thanks so much for the suggestions offered so far.

I agree it should be a unique holiday unlike those we have always known.

Going to view the decorations, lights and buying Hawaiian Christmas gifts are great ideas.

Another question:

What do people (in condos) do for meals and such on Christmas eve and day? I was thinking that we would buy something special to prepare Christmas day. Are restaurants open Christmas eve and day?

Thanks!

Canada
Level Contributor
2,751 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Family Christmas in Maui: what should we do?

Being on vacation I really try not to do too much involved cooking, but it being Christmas day and all, we BBQ'd some steaks and fixins', but this year I think we will go to Safeway and pre-order a Christmas dinner (turkey, mashed potatoes, stuffing etc.) some friends did that last year and they said it was great, plus they had leftovers for lunches etc. As far as restaurants being open, I don't know the answer.

canada
Level Contributor
206 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Family Christmas in Maui: what should we do?

Thanks millin6.

Gee I never thought of having a turkey dinner! That's a good idea, like you said, for leftovers, etc.

Are most stores and shops shut down on Christmas day?

Thanks.

Vancouver Island
Level Contributor
135 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Family Christmas in Maui: what should we do?

everything is open!

Marietta, Ga. USA
Level Contributor
516 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Family Christmas in Maui: what should we do?

Whatever you do, leave Santa a Mai Tai.

canada
Level Contributor
206 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Family Christmas in Maui: what should we do?

A Mai Tai? Well if that's how it's done in Maui, then that is what we will do!

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
52,658 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Family Christmas in Maui: what should we do?

You can get a tree and do what my family used to do to decorate it when we were away from home and our ornaments; string strands of popcorn and cranberries.

After Christmas we would put the tree on the porch (we spent Christmas in Yosemite usually) and watched the birds and squirrels eat the decorations.