We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Any quiet secluded beaches near Ka'anapali or Roayl Lahaina

vancouver
Level Contributor
287 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Any quiet secluded beaches near Ka'anapali or Roayl Lahaina

Hi

I've been looking at the pictures of Ka'anapali Beach Hotel and teh Royal Lahaina Resort and they both seem fairly big and the beaches outside consequently busy.

If you stay in one of these hotels is it possible to walk to find a nice quite beach where there's not many people aroung?

Or if not is it easy to get a bus to a quiet spot?

Thanks

Oregon
Level Contributor
4,366 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Any quiet secluded beaches near Ka'anapali or Roayl Lahaina

Both Napili and Kapalua are a bus drive away on the shuttle. They are not secluded but have fewer people for sure. If you rent a car, you can drive south of Kihei for a little more seclusion.

Now, there is a beach called Oneloa, just north of Kapalua that is secluded. You'll have to research this one to find out how to get to it. I believe you will need to walk down a steep staircase to get down to this beach.

Gig Harbor...
Level Contributor
4,157 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Any quiet secluded beaches near Ka'anapali or Roayl Lahaina

Just to north side of Black Rock tends to be much quieter than the south side & that is the side the Royal Lahaina is on. I find it odd that the beaches tend to get more crowded in the afternoon and we pretty much stick to mornings and avoid the harshest sun. Water is better in the mornings anyway.

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
1,055 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Any quiet secluded beaches near Ka'anapali or Roayl Lahaina

We were at the Royal Lahaina 10/30 and 10/31 and the beaches were practically deserted. Go in the mornings or you will get sand blasted. I think I still have some sand in my ears.

vancouver
Level Contributor
287 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Any quiet secluded beaches near Ka'anapali or Roayl Lahaina

Thanks

I'm thinking of going over Christmas, something like Dec 20th to 28th, and was assuming it could be really busy there at this time. Is that likly to be the case?

I don't have a driving licence so will be reliant upon walking or a bus to get around.

Orange, CA
Level Contributor
2,284 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Any quiet secluded beaches near Ka'anapali or Roayl Lahaina

That week is certainly one of the busiest times of the year.

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
43,946 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Any quiet secluded beaches near Ka'anapali or Roayl Lahaina

The week before and after Christmas is HIGH season. You will find lots of families.

washington
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
22,183 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Any quiet secluded beaches near Ka'anapali or Roayl Lahaina

If you book with one of the Starwood properties...Wastin or Sheraton you have a shuttle that runs into Lahaina.

Camarillo...
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
4,708 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Any quiet secluded beaches near Ka'anapali or Roayl Lahaina

Christmas this year?? Better get crackin! The economy has impacted things but that is still high season and options might be very limited.

That said - Kahekili Beach where the Royal Lahaina sits is not nearly as busy as it's Ka'anapali cousin on the other side of Blackrock. A bit moreso now that the Westin is there but nothing that could be categorized as crowded. It's one of my favorite beaches on Maui for a long early morning walk.

In West Maui, Julauf's suggestion of Oneloa is right on. In 15 years I've never seen more that a handful of people on that beach and often we've been completely alone. The water can be a bit rough there and you will, however need a car to get there. Take the Lower Honoapi'ilani road past Napili and Kaplua Bay into the Kapalua resort area. When you come to the "Ironwoods" tract on the left, park in the small parking lot just outside of the gate. As you face the ocean, you'll see a pathway down to the beach. It is on an incline but not at all steep. Great beach for that "I have Maui all to myself" feeling.

Gig Harbor...
Level Contributor
4,157 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Any quiet secluded beaches near Ka'anapali or Roayl Lahaina

hotcheese - if your hotel is within walking distance of Whalers Village there is also a bus stop there that can take you either into Lahaina or up to Nappili. If you do this then it will serve you well to grabe a schedule and make sure you know your route - the darn thing is written in micro-script and once you figure your route is easy, but identifying that will take a few minutes. Every half an hour to an hour to various places for only a dollar. That being said we spent eight days in Kaanapali without a car and had no trouble at all getting to where we wanted to be.

Oklahoma City...
Destination Expert
for Oklahoma, Grove
Level Contributor
5,012 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Any quiet secluded beaches near Ka'anapali or Roayl Lahaina

Since you don't have a driver's license and will be relying on taxi's and hotel shuttles, are you thinking of finding a hotel where you can just go to and stay? One that has a secluded beach? Or, are you thinking of staying in the very busy areas you are asking about and taking a taxi to a secluded beach?

I was at the Maui Prince last summer and was the only person on the beach until around 10 am, then a few people joined me after that. This is one hotel I could go to and stay put because of the numerous activities that are available for you. They have daily yoga on the beach or other activities that are free, free use of their amenities, such as beach chairs, a fun pool area and beautiful gardens. They also have a variety of dining options right on property from very cheap to very expensive. Lastly, they have their own sailing catamaran that picks up guests on their beach for daily excursions. There is a price for these and the convenience to guests is fantastic.

So if you are looking for this type of place to stay, I would highly recommend the Maui Prince. If you are looking for somewhere else to stay and taxi or shuttle to a secluded beach and other places, this would not be the place for you. It's too far removed from the rest of the more touristy and crowded sections of Maui.