We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

irish students causing trouble last year

Waterford/UCD
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Topic
irish students causing trouble last year

im an irish student and im thinking of going to maui next summer on a j1 visa but i've been told that last year the irish students caused a lot of trouble last year and heard that landlords and retailers etc. are doing deals not to employ/ rent to irish students next summer. could someone tell me if this is true or not as i have to start booking soon.

Hana, Hawaii
Level Contributor
8,031 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: irish students causing trouble last year

Heck not all Irish act alike! I'd go, but don't remember hearing about any Irish trouble. (Heck, they even let me go!) Maybe someone will reply with info.

Maui
Level Contributor
1,475 posts
157 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: irish students causing trouble last year

J109,

It hasn't been just last year...it has been for the past several summers. The word is out to landlords that if one or two of these students rent a place, you'll have 15-20 living there. Loud parties, damaged units, etc. More hassle than it is worth. I don't know about any "deals" but the problem is common knowledge around Lahaina.

Kauai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
2,594 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: irish students causing trouble last year

I believe those were Notre Dame Fighting Irish students causing the problems last year.

I don't blame them - I'd be fighting mad too if I paid good money to attend a mediocre university with a pathetic football program.

Elk Rapids, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Lanai
Level Contributor
9,602 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: irish students causing trouble last year

So what is going to happen when Notre Dame hits town for the upcoming bowl game with UH?

Maui
Level Contributor
1,475 posts
157 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: irish students causing trouble last year

Bowl game is Oahu's problem........

Kauai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
2,594 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: irish students causing trouble last year

Don't get caught in Waikiki without your shillelagh over Christmas break.

Seriously, I'm kind of excited about seeing ChuckWagon and the emu in person. Just bought the sunny side section FF row 15 for $40.

Hopefully both teams will play better than their last bowl game appearances.

Marin
Level Contributor
94 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: irish students causing trouble last year

Don't worry about getting employed. No one will be hiring next year. Any openings will be filled by locals only.

Waterford/UCD
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: irish students causing trouble last year

ok thanks for the heads up

Maui
Level Contributor
2,546 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: irish students causing trouble last year

I know where I live we have had many problems with the Irish kids, and not just last year. They always seem to get kicked out and some went down the street to get kicked out again. Maui is a "small" place, and the coconut wireless works very well. Sorry.

Dublin
7 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: irish students causing trouble last year

i was in Hawaii for the month of august and i really wouldnt recommend the J1 in Hawaii. Its a beautiful place and if you like surfing and water sports its amazing but it is NOT a J1 destination. The night life in Waikiki is the dullest ive ever seen and we met a lot of other Irish who were in Maui all summer and they said that was even quieter.

The locals werent the nicest there and i would imagine they are even worse in Maui considering how small the place is and by all accounts we have been rowdy in the past so its hard to blame them. Drunken students looking for a good time is not what small town locals want.

If you are looking for a wild J1 where there is great partying and drinking all night look elsewhere. West coast would be my choice if i was going back since i did Boston on my first J1. You can always travel around when you are in the mainland wheras Hawaii is tiny and you will have it all seen pretty quickly.