We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

All joking aside. . .

All joking aside. . .

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 06 January 2009, 22:06
Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
3,783 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: All joking aside. . .

uh oh

better get your body armour on

Molokai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
2,121 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: All joking aside. . .

several people who visited here play with the idea to buy a building lot here for their retirement and then build when they are ready. and this is the advice i give them:

get a lot with a house on it. a shack, any house! this is because there already is infrostructure such as septic tank, electricity, water. then, while living in that shack or a tent behind it, gradually deal with the house by improving, adding, wrecking bits at a time. to apply for these services and get new house plans approved takes about 10,000.-, alot of hassle with maui county and probably a year or two with each application sitting on someone's desk while the powers that be are filing their fingernails.

good luck!

Princeville, Hawaii
Level Contributor
7,081 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: All joking aside. . .

Check out the schools before you go to far.

Elk Rapids, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Lanai
Level Contributor
9,605 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: All joking aside. . .

Rather than one "compound" why not seperate units in a condo? Not that I don't like my MIL but living under the same roof with her..oh my. The upside to seperate units is if part of your family decides to leave or something the rest are not stuck with the extra room(s).

As to your finding a job, good luck there, people already living on the island can't find jobs.

Real estate is down but the prices have not dipped much yet and they are expensive..very expensive...for a decent place in a decent location.

Good luck though.

LA
Level Contributor
10,044 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: All joking aside. . .

You WILL be looking for a million dollar home. Have you researched real estate at all?

The economy is depressed in Hawaii right now, and for the forseeable future with the current economic conditions. People who don't buy houses also don't buy insurance. Do you think the current Travelers agent really wants competition? Without tourists, why would Starwood want to hire anyone?

I looked into Hawaii for retirement. The deal breakers for me were 1) Poor access to healthcare 2)High real estate and cost of living (electricity is almost 7X the cost where I am) 3) Issues with local people. The latter would translate into schools, for your children.

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
44,070 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: All joking aside. . .

If you are not particularly set on Maui, post your question on the Kauai and Oahu forums as well - as I recall earlier discussions on the same issue.

There is a book out - been out for years and updated - called So You Want to Move to Hawaii (or something close). Usually found at Borders or Barnes and Noble in the travel section.

San Diego, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
1,645 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: All joking aside. . .

Denny on the Kauai forum frequently has posts about the good and bad of living on the islands. Very detailed and interesting.

Marin
Level Contributor
94 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: All joking aside. . .

I hope you can afford a private school because your two kids most likely won't be welcome in public schools in Hawaii. Unless your born there, your kids will have nothing but problems growing up with locals. Do a little research on the topic.

Greenacres, WA
Level Contributor
704 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: All joking aside. . .

Condo's aren't out of the question and we wouldn't be looking to build anything. . just a home already put.

I've heard the kids can have problems but since they're young enough might be okay. They're still in kindergarten right now. I heads it's also easier on the boys.

As for comment of other islands i was thinking Kauai might be a possibility.

Again, this all JUST became a recent topic of discussion for us late yesterday and currently just that. . a discussion. Though my fiance doesn't care much for us current job I love mine and they take pretty good care of us here (just not in the highest pay bracket yet), great benifits though. Plus i'm not sure if i could give the snow up completely. . i do love all 4 seasons but figured we could come back to my dad or sisters family here for month each year or something.

Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
4,989 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: All joking aside. . .

Some friends of ours moved to Hawaii a few years ago (job transfer) and they are still getting use to the differences. We saw them over new years, and they had a lot to say about it. When they see certain food items on sale, they stock up. Milk is over $8 a gallon. Their electric bill is CRAZY! They said everything is more than double the price.