We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

$s, Ritz or Grand Waliea

northern NJ
Level Contributor
181 posts
179 reviews
Save Topic
$s, Ritz or Grand Waliea

Which of the three resorts would you recommend- Four Seasons, Ritz or Grand Wailea- standard non- ocean view in each. I have two kids 15 & 11. Is the Wailea location is better than Kapalua; also which hotel beach is better. Thanks.

Mentioned in this post
Grand Wailea - A Waldorf Astoria Resort
Grand Wailea - A Waldorf...
6,944 Reviews
Maui, HI
Wailea
Wailea
Maui, HI
Kapalua
Kapalua
Maui, HI
Maui, Hawaii
Level Contributor
1,150 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: $s, Ritz or Grand Waliea

Four Seasons.

One of the things that sets apart the Four Seasons from the rest is the practice of Nickle and Diming.

Most if not all hotel services are included in your room rate.

Versus the ala carte schemes at most hotels, you will pay a little more per night at the FS, but in the end you will pay less if you utilize all they offer as free or complimentary

The staff aims to please your(almost) every need. Nice beach too.

The Ritz is recently remodeled but its so far out there I think your Kids would be bored. The beach there is just ok.

The Grand has a Great beach and Great pools for the kids, but gets crowded during high seasons.

My vote is the FOUR SEASONS

Grand second

Ritz a distant 3rd

northern NJ
Level Contributor
181 posts
179 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: $s, Ritz or Grand Waliea

Thanks, SouthMauiGuy! Very helpful,

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
50,168 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: $s, Ritz or Grand Waliea

With kids at 15 and 11, they would be the happiest at the Grand Wailea. The pools are to die for. The Ritz and the Four Seasons would be too uppity for them. The Ritz is in Kapalua and it is a beautiful area. Kids probably wouldn't appreciate it as an adult would. There are great beaches a few minutes away from there. The beach in front of the Grand Wailea and Four Seasons is very crowded.

I love both the Wailea and Kapalua areas. Kapalua is at it's best in the summer months. "Better" is in the eye of the beholder!!

Mentioned in this post
6,944 Reviews
Maui, HI
Kapalua
Kapalua
Maui, HI
Wailea
Wailea
Maui, HI
Maui, Hawaii
Level Contributor
1,150 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: $s, Ritz or Grand Waliea

MSFuzz has some good points.

The original poster is from the Northern New Jersey Area.

From what I understand, That area is one of the more affluent areas of the USA.

Perhaps the "uppity" quote would not be a factor.

Based on the original posters other posts on TA that include exotic and affluent destinations, The Four Seasons sounds like a great fit for them.

The beaches infront of the FS and GW are busy because they are GREAT beaches.

Plus all beaches in Hawaii are public.

If the pools are priority, maybe a split stay at both the 4Seasons and Grand Wailea.

They are within a 1/4-1/2 mile of one another and you wont waste much time switching.

Mentioned in this post
Hawaii
Hawaii
United States
6,944 Reviews
Maui, HI
Wisconsin USA
Level Contributor
104 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: $s, Ritz or Grand Waliea

Depends on who you wish to please the most -- Pools at the Grand are far more interesting for kids than at the Four Seasons-- I think you see it's the same beach-- Stayed at the Grand and walked around the Four Seasons a few weeks ago -- kids were trying to have fun at the Four Seasons by climbing up into the fountain that is in the middle of the pool and leaping off. There are several independent Beach Activity operators (trampline, kayak, surf/boogie etc. ) that are between the 4Seasons and the Grand, so that will be identical. Good Italian food / pizza is available a short walk from both to get away from the overpriced resort restaurants. Grand has a lot more space for roaming around-- FourSeasons guests were shoulder to shoulder; at the Grand adults at least can spread out at the Hibiscus pool. Grand has a scuba pool if the anyone wants to get certified or do a discovery dive (don't need to be staying at the Grand) Spa at the Grand is big but a little tired. Kids will probably find friends at both hotels. If you rent a car while at the grand be sure to ask for a room at the south end of the resort so you'll be close to the parking garage -- otherwise it is a very long walk.

Palo Alto...
Level Contributor
649 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: $s, Ritz or Grand Waliea

I would vote hands down for the Grand Wailea. Your kids will love the pools.

Mentioned in this post
6,944 Reviews
Maui, HI
rjf
LA
Level Contributor
221 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: $s, Ritz or Grand Waliea

We just got back a week ago after staying at the Grand Wailea. Our kids are 14 and 11 and they loved it. I must say that my Wife and I loved it also. Three years ago we stayed at the Fairmont Kea Lani. While the rooms are better at the Kea Lani, I think the Grand Wailea was much better for the kids with the pool and slides.

Mentioned in this post
6,944 Reviews
Maui, HI
Fairmont Kea Lani, Maui
Fairmont Kea Lani, Maui
4,862 Reviews
Maui, HI
Edina, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Lanai
Level Contributor
4,110 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: $s, Ritz or Grand Waliea

Another vote for the Grand Wailea due to the kids. It is the same beach that is in front of the FS. I think the Wailea location is much better.

Mentioned in this post
6,944 Reviews
Maui, HI
Wailea
Wailea
Maui, HI
Menlo Park...
Level Contributor
5,663 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: $s, Ritz or Grand Waliea

weather is a big factor in your choice. Often in the winter and spring the Ritz can be sitting in wind and rain while Wailea is in full sun all day. While it doesn't always rain in Kapalua, at least you are guaranteed that the weather in Wailae will ALWAYS be better.

Mentioned in this post
Wailea
Wailea
Maui, HI
Kapalua
Kapalua
Maui, HI
NJ
Level Contributor
603 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: $s, Ritz or Grand Waliea

How long are you staying in Maui? If you can split a stay you can try the Four Seasons and Grand Wailea

We have stayed at the Grand Wailea in 2006 and will be splitting our stay this summer between the 4Seasons and GW. We loved the Grand Wailea and the kids were in heaven with the pool. The beach is the same and we enjoyed that too.

In 2006 my kids were 11 and 9. This summer they will be 14 and 12

We are splitting our stay this year because we are staying all 11nts on Maui and going for 4 nights at the Four Seasons and 7 nights at the GW. We have stayed at another Four Seasons and we loved the service and how much was included.

The Four Seasons Maui has a great game room for the kids. The pools are not as extensive but nice. The cabanas are free, first come first serve. At the GW they are $$$$$.

For the poster that said the FS would be too uppity for the kids they are strongly mistaken. The FS welcomes kids and makes them feel like prince and princesses. They go over and beyond making sure the kids are happy and well taken care of

In closing if the pool is the most important I would go with the GW. If service is the most important to you then the FS cannot be beat

Mentioned in this post
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
6,944 Reviews
Maui, HI