We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What would you do with 9 nights?

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
42 posts
1 review
Save Topic
What would you do with 9 nights?

OK, so here is a completely subjective question to get my planning going.

If you had 9 nights to camp and travel around the island, where and how much time would you spend travelling each area?

We definitely want to take the Highway to Hana slowly, considering 2 maybe 3 nights in that general area. Thinking of then going around and up to Haleakala and spending an evening in Hosmer Grove or Polipoli. Will this be enough time to explore this area?

I also can't get an idea of how much time you'd want to have to going up and around from Lahaina to Kahului.

I'd love any suggestions- we are definitely starting in Kihei the first night to visit friends. With that as a starting point I'd love any suggestions you all may have!

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
42 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: What would you do with 9 nights?

It occured to me I should probably qualify this question a touch. We are most interested in enjoying the very picturesque areas, not so much the bustle of high-density touristy areas. We are curious about the highway after Hana, the roads past the Kahului Airport, the out of the way spots and want to make sure we build in enough time to find all the nooks and crannies of these more isolated areas!

Thank you for your imput!!

Ohio
Level Contributor
289 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What would you do with 9 nights?

My boyfriend and I went to Maui last August, and we jumped around the island quite a bit... this is what we did/found:

Arrived in Kahului airport @ 4:30ish island time and headed to the Upcountry Bed & Breakfast in Kula (which was AMAZING -- check it out! Can't say enough good things about the place! Owner Michael is the best!). This was a great place to spend the night -- close to Haleakala where we wanted to watch the sunrise and took a horseback ride to the crater basin. Amazing. Wished we would have stayed more than one night.

The next day took off for the Mahana @ Ka'anapali. Loved this also (although very different from the B & B). Stayed here for 6 nights, which was enough. We did a lot of excursions (snorkeling w/Trilogy, Helicopter Ride with Blue Hawaiian, hiking, etc.) and found ourselves making the drive back to "central" maui more often than we anticipated. Again, wished we would have just stayed in Kula longer! The drive from Ka'anapali to Kahului was VERY veriable depending on the time of day and the "traffic" (I quote "traffic" because it was still nothing like mainland time). We really didn't spend much time on the beach on our trip, so it would have been nicer to be near the excursion starts, etc.!

After the Mahana we packed up again and drove the "Road to Hana" where we spent the night @ the Hana Kai Maui. It was better than we anticipated, but by no means "luxury". No TV, phones, etc. It was like camping indoors (but very clean!), and a very nice relaxing end to our trip and the days prior in the hub-ub that is West Maui. Again, we wished we stayed longer than just the one night. There is SO MUCH to explore along the Road to Hana (and once you're PAST Hana), that one night is not enough. The people who say the "drive is not worth it" are crazy. My boyfriend and I loved it and would have been VERY disappointed had we skipped Hana!

Overall, on our first trip to Maui, we found that the areas we wanted to stay MOST were great... but the places we were uncertain about (the B & B in Kula and Hana Kai in Hana) were equally great, if not better! I think it's awesome that you want to explore the entire Island! We always look back and wonder how others visit the island and stay in ONE resort the entire time!

Hope this helps! Feel free to MSG me with any other questions! I could type ALL DAY!

Chicagoland
Level Contributor
21,820 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: What would you do with 9 nights?

When you say 'camp', do you mean that literally? There are few places camping is permitted -- very limited. You may want to talk to Maui County or State of Hawaii to explore what's available.

What time of year would you be visiting. Winter/early spring means very cool, windy, rainy weather along the northern parts and higher elevavions -- more so on Kauai and Oahu, but also to some extent on Maui, especially Upcountry, Napili, Kapalua.

West Maui (NW lobe of the island) is farther from everything else except remote Hana. South Maui (Maalaea, Kihei, Wailea, Makena) is more convienent due to location and 4-lane Pi`ilani Hwy.

4. Re: What would you do with 9 nights?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 September 2009, 04:16