We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

For those flying from PDX to OGG on Hawaiian

Oregon
Level Contributor
4,367 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
For those flying from PDX to OGG on Hawaiian

kgw.com/news-local/stories/kgw_020609_news_h…

Thought this story was a little too close to home for some of us. Ah well, flying is always safer than driving and you can't get to Maui by car.

Hana, Hawaii
Level Contributor
8,062 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: For those flying from PDX to OGG on Hawaiian

Yikes Julauf. Very scary! Imagine being in cold waters only in a pink speedo! :)

Thanks for your info..I think! :0

NORTH CAROLINA
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
7,278 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: For those flying from PDX to OGG on Hawaiian

hey caddy maybe you should think about a coordinating pink wetsuit over the pink speedo for the plane ride only.

on maui everyone needs to see the pink speedo plus the water is warmer haha.

aloha marie

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
698 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: For those flying from PDX to OGG on Hawaiian

Anyone from Flight 8 Monday night care to describe the diverted flight that night that returned to HNL? It appears the plane reached cruising altitude and then dropped from 37000' to 22300' after heading back to HNL. I missed any news of that one.

Oregon
Level Contributor
4,367 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: For those flying from PDX to OGG on Hawaiian

One should always be wearing a "clean" pink speedo just in case. Hey if the plane ditched near Maui, I would just consider that part of my vacation.

Reedsport, Oregon
Level Contributor
3,981 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: For those flying from PDX to OGG on Hawaiian

I'm glad all is well and everything came out alright. I've been on flight 40 twice. The thing that amazed me was they were still on time. Gotta keep up that #1 on time performance. lol

It's nice to know Hawaiian has pilots who take their training seriously like the US Airways pilot in NY. Truth of the matter is he has probably made that landing dozens of times in the simulators and probably has to requalify yearly. And if I remember right the Boeing 767 has one of the highest safety ratings.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
3,804 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: For those flying from PDX to OGG on Hawaiian

I saw this on the news. Eeeeeeek! I am going to try not to think about this when we fly to Kauai next week.

Beaverton, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Cannon Beach
Level Contributor
6,140 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: For those flying from PDX to OGG on Hawaiian

i too fly 40 for the return from maui --- actually the pane was early

what confused me is that i saw the report on the 5pm news -- yet that fllight usually arrives around 11:15 pm

Reedsport, Oregon
Level Contributor
3,981 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: For those flying from PDX to OGG on Hawaiian

He probably got in early because they had 1st priority not to mention completely cleared airspace and runways and straight in approach. I bet there was several delayed flights. Not to mention all the noses stuck to the windows wondering why no planes were taking off or landing and why all the emergency vehicles where running all over.

The flight was last night if you saw it on tonight's news.

Washington State
Level Contributor
1,695 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: For those flying from PDX to OGG on Hawaiian

My husband and I just returned on this flight 40 this last Monday night! I heard about this for the first time on the news today at noon. For one that HATES to fly already (but it doesn't deter me as of yet), I am SO glad I wasn't on this flight. Glad to know all went well and everyone is ok.

Beaverton, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Cannon Beach
Level Contributor
6,140 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: For those flying from PDX to OGG on Hawaiian

lougee1043

what confused me is that i saw the report on the 5pm news -- yet that fllight usually arrives around 11:15 pm>>>

actually this happened on thursday pm at around 11pm but it wasnt picked up by the media and posted here til friday