We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Honeymooning in Dec- too rainy??

Franklin...
Level Contributor
226 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Honeymooning in Dec- too rainy??

Hello:

We are planning our HM for 12 nights from 12-21 thru 1-2 2009. I am starting to hear that it is very rainy at this time of year! We don't mind a passing shower, but really would like it to be sunny, at least while we are in Oahu and Maui (understand the rain in Kauai). Should we book in the Carribean instead? Being from Boston, we really want some sunny warm weather for our HM! Thanks for the feeback!

Canada
Level Contributor
2,677 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Honeymooning in Dec- too rainy??

We have been to Maui 3 times during their "rainy" season, which is their winter and it was only last December that we actually got some rain - it was no big deal it rained off and on for 1 day and the occasional shower on a few other days, it did not stop us from going to the beach or hanging out at the pool.

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
37,558 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Honeymooning in Dec- too rainy??

Well, you need to know that each island has it's own unique microclimate . . . so there are wetter areas on each island as well as dry/sunnier areas. The northshores are always the wettest, the west areas are the driest . . . and the contrast is amazing. I can't even remember how many micro climates the Big Island has - 13? 15? As well, the weather & ocean changes with the season, so while you can have rain, the southern areas generally are dry/sunny - even on Kauai. I honeymooned in Maui during the month of January and I think we only had rain once or twice in 2 weeks.

While the Caribbean is much shorter flight for you, I would still go to Hawaii for my honeymoon. :)

Mount Vernon,Il
Level Contributor
739 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Honeymooning in Dec- too rainy??

We not only honeymooned on Maui in December but were married there as well a few years ago. No rain to speak of. Get your plans in place for Maui and enjoy!!!

Napa, California
Level Contributor
2,024 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Honeymooning in Dec- too rainy??

We often go to Maui in early Dec. We stay in S. Maui (Wailea) and sit on the sunny beach and watch the clouds move over Kaanapali & Lahaina (they don't stay long, but they are there more than in Wailea). So you should be fine and if you are worried, stay in S. Maui!

Gig Harbor...
Level Contributor
4,157 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Honeymooning in Dec- too rainy??

We were just there Dec 12 - 25th and only had rain once. Clouds moving around, no rain. The day we left the storm moved in and it rained very softly but was windy in Kahului. It was a beautiful sunny time for us.

Head for South Maui and relax, if it rains then look for rainbows. Staying south on Kauai will be your best bet also.

Franklin...
Level Contributor
226 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Honeymooning in Dec- too rainy??

Thank you to everyone! We will stick with our plans, and do the south side of Kauai and stay in Wailea in Maui to be on the safe side. I am so excited! :)

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
37,558 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Honeymooning in Dec- too rainy??

Quick question for you - how many days are you planning on each island . . . from you post it sounds like 3 islands in 12 days - is that right? If so, that might be a bit too busy . . . a good rule is a week per island. :)

Franklin...
Level Contributor
226 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Honeymooning in Dec- too rainy??

Yeah, I am beginning to think we'll just do Kauai and Maui. I really wanted to do either Oahu or the BI too, but it seems like that would be too much. Would it be possible to do a day trip to the BI from either Kauai or Maui??

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
37,558 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Honeymooning in Dec- too rainy??

I wouldn't try a day trip . . . you'll still spend much of it at the airport. Just know you'll be back and you can explore another island then - savor the honeymoon! :)

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
42,310 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Honeymooning in Dec- too rainy??

I agree - with 12 nights, only visit two islands. You'll have so much to see and do -- and you don't want to spend your honeymoon in an airport.

We have visited twice in Feb and once, a couple months ago, in December. It did rain one day on Maui. Keep in mind - this doesn't mean that it is COLD. The coolest was about 70 degrees. The next day DH went snorkeling with a catamaran to Honolua Bay. It was the best!

Take a look on the weather channel for average monthly rain fall totals and you'll see that generally for the month of December - the totals are around four inches for the whole month. Both Honolulu and Ka'anapali/Lahaina are on the dry sides of the islands.

The difference in weather between Wailea and Ka'anapali is negligible. No reason to change your resort choice.