We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What's up with car rental rates?

Level Contributor
398 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
What's up with car rental rates?

Wow car rental rates for the end of March into April are very high! I booked a reservation in July of 08 for our March/April 2009 trip expecting to rebook at a better price as we neared our departure date. I have been checking the past couple of weeks and the prices are nearly double my original reservation. Anyone else experiencing higher than usual rental rates for this time period and/or why they are so high?

Beaverton, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Cannon Beach
Level Contributor
6,100 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What's up with car rental rates?

according to other posters the rental car companies have been cutting back on their fleets by getting rid of cars and not ordering the same number of replacement cars

Level Contributor
71 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What's up with car rental rates?

I booked my car in August of 08 for my trip in May, also expecting to find a better price later. This week my flight got cancelled and I was put on a flight that gets into Maui 4 hours earlier.

I am VERY happy about getting to Maui earlier, but when I tried to change my car reservations to pick it up 4 hours earlier, it was increasing my rate $150! At that price I might take a cab to the condo (Sugar Beach Resort) and use the rental car company's car drop off service for my current pick up time! That will be cheaper than the $150!

MASSACHUSETTS
Level Contributor
195 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What's up with car rental rates?

The same thing is happening to us, Bellabell.

I'm just glad I booked so far in advance. I'm still going to try Priceline when we're closer to the date...nothing to lose. I used Entertainment book coupons to get a discount...every little bit helps.

I'd rather spend the $ on an activity.

Have a great vacation!

white rock bc
Level Contributor
531 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: What's up with car rental rates?

I'd like to know what your rates are. I have a few reservations to be safe, and I didn't think they were too bad. About $430, taxes in for 2 weeks for a compact car. Is that too much?

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
71 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What's up with car rental rates?

All - check out these guys - they get you a discounted rate also and are really quick in response to your request - tell Jerry that Michelle Nelson sent you!! Hoping that helps!!

www.discounthawaiicarrental.com

Southern Oregon
Level Contributor
18 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What's up with car rental rates?

I was also watching the prices rise for our May trip car rental. I took another posters suggestion and checked out priceline.com. I was able to get a convertible through priceline's name your own price for $26 a day. I just booked it two days ago. Total cost for 7 days came to $248.84 with taxes and fees. I was very pleased with the price.

Palm Springs...
Level Contributor
11,440 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What's up with car rental rates?

with the drastic reduction in available rental cars, its effecting the rates by supply and demand...

You get a reservation... then another looking for a deal..in the process you are lowering the available number of cars and driving up the price for others .

When you cncel at the last min... your canceled reservation now gets rented to the top dollar... over $100 + a day is nor common....I have seen $140-160 in Kona....

So the old get lots of reservations might be shooting yourself and others in the foot....

Beaverton, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Cannon Beach
Level Contributor
6,100 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What's up with car rental rates?

You get a reservation... then another looking for a deal..in the process you are lowering the available number of cars and driving up the price for others .>>>>

if you cancel the old reservation right after you make a new one i dont think anything drastic happens regarding availability of cars-- if you dont cancel your orig res and/or are sitting on 2 or 3 then your post is true

Cumberland, Rhode...
Level Contributor
248 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What's up with car rental rates?

Hawaiian airlines has a link to car rentals thru

"Special offers - all specials". We booked a subcompact (Avis) last October for our 5 day Maui trip for this July thru this link. 5 days at $104.92 - Checked again last night, still coming up @ $104.92 for a new reservation with same dates and times. When directly on Avis - price was $267.20.

Saskatoon, Canada
Level Contributor
259 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: What's up with car rental rates?

Loves Beaches 19,

If I were you I would keep the reservation the same and try to pick up the car 4 hours early! You may have to wait 10 minutes while they clean it but it's usually not a probably at a larger rental car company to pick up early or late.