We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1st Time Maui -- Condo Locale for Action & Dining

Milwaukee, WI
Level Contributor
602 posts
42 reviews
Save Topic
1st Time Maui -- Condo Locale for Action & Dining

As a couple, we are very active and plan to do the volcano biking trip, water sports, hiking, snorkeling, etc. No relaxing around the pool for our trip to Maui! We are considering a condo but even a studio or 1 bedroom will be fine. We would also like to be able to walk to bars, restaurants in the evening (not every night, but part of our stay). Any suggestions for areas you liked, particular condo buildings, etc. Right now a friend has suggested Wailea or Kihei instead of Kanaapali. Please provide your input on what area offers more and why.

Washington
Level Contributor
1,783 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 1st Time Maui -- Condo Locale for Action & Dining

We love Kaanapali! We love the beach and the proximity to restaurants and entertainment. It is also close to Lahaina for more choices. We enjoy relaxing.

S Kihei might be a good choice for you since you mention the volcano and snorkeling and sound very active.

Camarillo...
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
4,763 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 1st Time Maui -- Condo Locale for Action & Dining

Gosh, Wailea is quite laid back and quiet in terms of the kind of environment you are looking for. Kihei is about as close as you can come to a "beach town" in Maui, and depending on where you stay there you could be in walking distance to a number of eateries, and it is somewhat more centrally located for outings to Haleakela or the Hana highway.

But for sheer numbers of activity options, restaurants, shopping, ocean outings, etc. Ka'anapali is where you want to be. Great places to eat and drink all along Ka'anapali Beach as well as 5 minutes down the road in Lahaina. And while it is a bit further away from Haleakela, etc., it's really not that big of an island and not that far to drive. Heres a link where you can do some research on properties...

http://www.wizardpub.com/maui/mauaerials.html

When you click on a property you'll see an aerial photo, a brief review with rack rate pricing (you can do better) and a link to the property's web site.

Chicagoland
Level Contributor
21,201 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: 1st Time Maui -- Condo Locale for Action & Dining

If you're visiting for more than a week, you might want to split your stay. Enjoy the more touristy Kaanapali/Lahaina area and tour up to Napili and Kapalua in West Maui for a while. Then move to South Maui (S. Kihei or Wailea) where you'll be closer to the 'rest' of the island and have a better access via a 4-lane highway. (To get to Haleakala or Road to Hana you have to get to Kahului first.) There are loads of swimming and snorkeling beaches in South Maui -- the stretch from Kamaole south through Wailea and Makena.

Gig Harbor...
Level Contributor
4,157 posts
167 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 1st Time Maui -- Condo Locale for Action & Dining

Kaanapali is a developed resort area that is close to Lahaina and all in all there is a bit of a 'buzz' of activity in West Maui. The Kaanapali resorts are close enough to walk to dining and bars, etc. North of Kaanapali is Honokawai and Kahana, more condos right on the beach, =options.

Kihei is a beach town, funky and a bit of a jumble. It is laid back and mellow. There are a lot of places to eat and find fun - just a couple of minutes to Wailea and finer dining options. Wailea is quieter, more upscale. South Maui is easier for access to the rest of the island, but it is all doable. We are partial to Kihei and the South Maui beaches, but like Maui in general so I suppose that doesn't help you - but honestly while it's all good it is different in each area.

When are you traveling? What is your nightly budget? Are you looking for ocean front or would a nice condo across from the beach do?

Milwaukee, WI
Level Contributor
602 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 1st Time Maui -- Condo Locale for Action & Dining

We are coming over Memorial weekend and think a condo would work better than a hotel. On or near the beach or beach view would be a nice option....thinking of a studio or one bedroom for under $250 with nice grounds, pool, etc. -- onsite restaurant is not required.

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
45,041 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 1st Time Maui -- Condo Locale for Action & Dining

It sounds like you would like W Maui. Ka'anapali or Napili, Kahana.

Milwaukee, WI
Level Contributor
602 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 1st Time Maui -- Condo Locale for Action & Dining

Great location suggestions....but does anyone have any condo property they specifically like or suggest we look into? I noticed that we can save some money by renting a studio and since we don't anticipate cooking, a large kitchen area is not important but I would like a nice lanai with view and parking available. I have been looking at VRBO so that I can see some units but not sure which properties have great grounds, facilities, and good location to dining. Shopping is low on our list of priorities.

Chicagoland
Level Contributor
21,201 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: 1st Time Maui -- Condo Locale for Action & Dining

It would help to know what you want to spend on the condo. You can stay for as little as $99/night and be across from the good Kamaole beaches all along Kihei Road in South Kihei. You can stay oceanfront (but not on good beaches) in North Kihei. You can stay in (windy) Maalaea.

If you want to walk to casual restaurants, I'd look at Maui Banyan, Maui Vista, Kamaole Sands in South Kihei. (See: www.wizardpub.com for views and reviews.)

Milwaukee, WI
Level Contributor
602 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 1st Time Maui -- Condo Locale for Action & Dining

Hi...I did mention under $250 but between $125-$200 would be best.

Chicagoland
Level Contributor
21,201 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: 1st Time Maui -- Condo Locale for Action & Dining

In Kihei you can stay beachfront at Hale Pau Hana within your budget; also Kihei Surfside, Mana Kai Maui. Not sure but maybe also Wailea Ekahi. (These properties are all on the beach side of the road.)

The places I mentioned earlier (and Hale Pau Hana) are walking distance to small restaurants and bars. We own at Maui Kamaole (also within your budget and 3-star), but that's a little farther south of the Kihei Road 'strip' -- and not beachfront.

Some folks who know West Maui better than I do will surely chime in with condo options in Kaanapali/Lahaina.