We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

best golf in maui?

dallas
Level Contributor
67 posts
Save Topic
best golf in maui?

the wife is only going to let me sneak in one round, where would it be the most memerable?

Atlanta, GA
Level Contributor
35 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: best golf in maui?

Where are you staying?

dallas
Level Contributor
67 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: best golf in maui?

we are staying in Kaanapali

Atlanta, GA
Level Contributor
35 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: best golf in maui?

Well, unfortunately I can't give any expert advice since I didn't play there, but there was at least a couple of courses in Kaanapali. Don't know if you've been there before, but Kaanapali (like most of the other towns) are really planned "resort areas" with a cluster of hotels, shops, etc. The golf courses wind around the area.

We stayed in Wailea, on the other side of the island. Played at the "Blue Course" - which was a lot of fun. Perfect for the wife and I who are really not that good. The wide open fairways were a blessing.

I don't remember the name of it - but there's a course somewhere on the island that the senior pga tour plays at every year. I saw the ads on TV quite often. Might be in a golf guide book somewhere??

Don't know if you'll have this much time - but if you're really into golf and want a once in a lifetime experience, get up early and hop on the ferry to Lanai from Maui. It takes about 45 minutes. There are two outstanding golf courses on Lanai - The Challenge at Manele Bay (on the cliffs overlooking the ocean), and The Experience at the Lodge of Koele (more in the mountains, very hilly, cooler, stunning views of other islands).

We played the Experience - toughest course I will every play in my life - but we had a GREAT time. The course is stunning. The signature 17th is a par 3 with a 200 foot+ drop from the tee. I think it's a Greg Norman course. I'll spare you the exact details, but just a warning - it wasn't cheap.

When we took the shuttle from Lanai to Maui (so, the folks coming from the 7am shuttle from Maui were getting off before we got on), almost everyone on board had a golf bag and was coming over to play for the day.

Enjoy your trip!

Pitt Meadows, Canada
Level Contributor
310 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: best golf in maui?

We're heading for Kaanapali in a couple of weeks and my husband hopes to play 3 or 4 rounds. There are two courses right at Kaanapali.. North and South. The south is closed until the end of November. I don't know if it is that spectacular but you do get a bit of a break in cost staying at Kaanapali. The senior tour did play the North course, not sure if they still do or not.

The most expensive is the Kapalua Plantation as the regular PGA tour plays there. According to my hubby it's a very tough course and why spend a couple hundred dollars beating yourself up. LOL

The course he is looking forward to playing is The Dunes. It's in the middle of the island and from all reports is a "find" and only $98 to play.

He's played both courses at Makena before and thoroughly enjoyed those. His plans are to play the Wailea Blue Course as it's the cheapest of the 3 at Wailea but still $105.

When are you going... the two of you should team up. lol

Chilliwack, B.C.
Level Contributor
540 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: best golf in maui?

msparkyace, when are you going to Maui, we will be there end of November, my husband is looking forward to golfing as well. Maybe they could hook up if you are there that time . Gives me a break as I don't really want to golf.

Marjorie

oregon
Level Contributor
47 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: best golf in maui?

Have to add just a small note. I am not a golfer, but my husband is. We were there in April/May and he was not impressed with the Kaanapali N/S golf courses. He said that they were not well cared for (greens) and for the money they should be a ton better. The overall lay out of the course was not good either. He golfed at Kapalua and loved it. He also said that the golf courses in Wailea/Makena were awesome with less wind. Just a thought, but like I said I don't golf. Have a great vacation!! :-)

Danville, California
Level Contributor
15 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: best golf in maui?

My husband loved Kapalua which is pretty close to Kaanapali. He didn't think too highly of Kaanapali courses. Yes, The Plantation course is very challenging at Kapalua but it was nice for him to be able to say he played where the PGA plays. (Mercedes Championship)

You will remember this round no doubt and when you watch the tournament on TV in Feb 2006 you will remember each hole.

Hope this helps!

Michigan
Level Contributor
405 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: best golf in maui?

My husband was fortunate enough to golf 4 courses while we were on vacatrion in June. He golfed Ko'ola and Luana hills in Oahu and Makena and Wailea Gold in Maui. He enjoyed every one, all were different than what he has ever golfed on the mainland and he does quite a bit of golfing. But if he were to pick the best of those four, he says Wailea Gold in Maui was top of the list.

Michigan
Level Contributor
405 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: best golf in maui?

Just wanted to add that my husband wanted to golf Kapalua but it was closed for mantenance while we were there. He was bummed .

Albuquerque, New...
Level Contributor
3,312 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: best golf in maui?

Take it from someone who is consistently good for 350+ yards off the tee, hasn't exceeded par in years, looks like a million bucks in golf shorts, carries his own clubs has 100 of the greatest golf jokes in the world and a mega $ endorsement contract with Nike: Kapalua (if the wind isn't blowing).

By the way, Kama likes Kapalua too...now, if only Kapalua would be nice to Kama.