We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Royal Lahaina Resort vs. Maui Kai

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
58 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Royal Lahaina Resort vs. Maui Kai

I'm wondering if anyone could give me some advice on these 2 properties. We're traveling with a 5 year old in late June.

I heard the beaches around Maui Kai have a lot of rock and are often very windy. But the views from those condos are amazing.

The renovated tower rooms at the RL look pretty good. But they don't have the convenience of kitchens. Is the beach there better and more suitable for a 5 year old?

Thanks in advance for all the advices.

Camarillo...
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
4,735 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Royal Lahaina Resort vs. Maui Kai

The Royal Lahain sits on one of the nicest stretches of sand on the island. Also some really great snorkeling right offshore there. If the beach is an important factor for your vacation you'll probably be happier at the RL. The RL tower was recently renovated and if you have a view room there, the view will be pretty much the same as the view at MK. RL is also a relatively easy stroll to the shops and restaurants of Whaler's Village

Gig Harbor...
Level Contributor
4,157 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Royal Lahaina Resort vs. Maui Kai

There will be more rocks in the area of Maui Kai, that means more fish! There are a couple of spots there that are not as rocky as others.

The beach at Royal Lahaina will be more of sandy beach.

If you have Google Earth on your computer you can plug in the addresses and take a look at the beaches.

The winds do pick up in the afternoons, Tradewinds are Mother Nature's way of cooling things off.

Washington State
Level Contributor
1,695 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Royal Lahaina Resort vs. Maui Kai

We stayed at the RL tower this past January. It was very nice and the beach is wonderful. We visited my aunt and uncle that stayed at the Maui Kai. It wasn't as updated, but like you said, there is a full kitchen, the view can't get any closer to the ocean too. It seemed to be windier and yes, there are more rocks, but not everywhere by the Maui Kai. If I personally had to choose, I would choose the Maui Kai because of the full kitchen; especially with a 5-year old, but that is just me. We buy a lot of snacks and eat in some, so a full kitchen would be nice. The RL was a GREAT deal off of the internet and I would stay there again too with another great deal. The RL has a small fridge, and a 1-cup at a time coffee maker; at least in the partial ocean view room that we had. RL: great beach, good location, brand new updated room. Maui Kai: great oceanview front rooms with full kitchen.

4. Re: Royal Lahaina Resort vs. Maui Kai

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 October 2009, 06:23