We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Maui in 2 days.. help on itinery please!

sydney
Level Contributor
52 posts
Save Topic
Maui in 2 days.. help on itinery please!

My boyfriend and i are planning a trip to Hawaii in July, staying in Waikiki as its our first time but we want to go to Maui just for 2 days (overnight) our plans is to fly in early morning and pick up a car for the 2 days.. basically we plan to do maybe hana hwy that day then head to hotel in late arvo (not sure where to stay, any advice??) then the next day were considering doing the early morning sunset hike up the moutain (cant think of name starts with H) and bike down (but not sure of costs for this tour??) and then check out of hotel and spend the day relaxing at various beaches, snorkling exploring towns etc.. we'd fly back to Oahu late that arvo..

Does it seem a bit rushed? anyone got any ideas of an itinery we can do that incorporates that stuff or what else to do on the first day with Hana Hwy?

Trilogy Excursions
Sightseeing Tours, Boat Tours, Scuba & Snorkeling, Eco Tours
Redline Rafting Co.
Sightseeing Tours, Boat Tours, Water Sports, Dolphin & Whale Watching, Scuba & Snorkeling
Valley Isle Excursions
Sightseeing Tours, Eco Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Cultural Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours
sydney
Level Contributor
52 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Maui in 2 days.. help on itinery please!

oh i think we were going to plan to stay in Ka'anapali.. how long would it take us to go from the main airport to do the road to hana and then to a hotel here in one day? is it too much driving all the wrong directions?

washington
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
22,422 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Maui in 2 days.. help on itinery please!

If the road to Hana and a trip up Haleakala are your focus then find a room in Hana for your one night...take your time driving there from the Airport...leave the next morning (don't plan Sunrise, both are slow windy rides) FYI I see no "relaxing" in this schedule!

If you really want to do this book your car NOW as well as your hotel...you are hitting peak time and many, many folks are diverting their trips from Mexico to Hawaii!

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
45,873 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Maui in 2 days.. help on itinery please!

You might want to stay in south Maui such as Maalaea, Kihei, Wailea or instead of Kaanapali. That will shave 30-45 min. off your driving time. After you get to the airport and get your car you will be very close to the Hana Hwy. You might as well start your adventure there. Just make sure you leave your luggage in the trunk during your drive. Car break in's have happened. Leave nothing valuable in your car. Have you thought about staying the night in Hana, thats a better option then trying to get to the hotel after your drive. Hiking up Haleakala then biking down will take up the better part of that day. Snorkeling is always best to do in the morning hours as the waves and wind pick up in the afternoon. You can still snorkel in the afternoon but the clarity of the water won't be as good.

It does seen a little rushed, but if thats what you want to do go for it!!

sydney
Level Contributor
52 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Maui in 2 days.. help on itinery please!

thanks guys! well if we plan to arrive at like 9am we have plenty of time to drive the hana and head elsewhere.. i was thinking doing hana till lunch finding lunch in a little town..

we were looking at the Haleakala Bike Company tour at sunrise..

how long does it take to drive from one end of the island to the other?

washington
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
22,422 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Maui in 2 days.. help on itinery please!

Hun, you REALLY need a map! If you plan on doing any hiking or exploring on the Road to Hana it can well take a day..if you just drive it without stopping about 3 hours to Hana and 3 hours back to Kahului, then another 20 to 35 minutes to South Maui. Then a couple of hours in the morning to drive up to Haleakala. Or meet your van for the bike tour at 3:30am.

sydney
Level Contributor
52 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Maui in 2 days.. help on itinery please!

hmm ok.. maybe we skip the hana hwy then!!

whats evryones opinion on that?

Gig Harbor...
Level Contributor
4,157 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Maui in 2 days.. help on itinery please!

Sounds like quite an undertaking - The only 'little town' near Hana, is Hana. Do a search on the topic Road to Hana (lots of them) and you can save them to a trip file by clicking on the little bos in the upper right corner of any posting. In the lefthand column of the Maui page is "Before you Go" - very handy.

I suggest a copy of "Hawaii for Dummies" (dumb title, good book) or Lonely Planet Maui. Mileage means little, distance is measured in time - island time.

If you really want to go to Hana, I would book an overnight there, take your time on the drive and stop often. You can get picnic or lunch in Paia (it will be closer to ten by the time you get you car). Visit Wainapapa State Park, the black 'sand' beach is lovely and there is another with red. Check into your lodgings and the next morning visit Oheo Gulch (seven pools) - then your option is to drive the back way towards Haleakala and back towards the airport - or turn around and go back the way you came. It is not a drive to be rushed.

Otherwise I would suggest heading for South Maui, check into a hotel and enjoy the beach. Next day get up at 2a.m. and do the bike ride. I really think trying to do both of those activities is a lot - not impossible, but a lot. If you are willing to make a compromise on Hana, you could easily visit Iao Needle in a short amount of time, lush and historical - I find it incredibly spiritual and beautiful. It's only half an hour from the airport.

Do get a good map though, just remember the mileage means very little. There are no freeways and the Piilani highway averages around 45mph, so you can get from airport to South Maui in 20-30 minutes.

Sydney
Level Contributor
354 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Maui in 2 days.. help on itinery please!

How long are you planning on spending in Waikiki, if I were you I would spend the most amount of time in Maui and only a few days in Waikiki. or on the northshore on Oahu. Find waikiki busy nad just full of shopping and resturants not very exciting sounds like you guys are up for some adventure.

I have done both the Hana Highway and sunset on Haleakala in one day ,though rushed So diverse amazing watching the scenery change. So if two day is all you have do it in one and then spend a day relaxing and swimming with turtls and relaxing on the beach.

tennessee
Level Contributor
39 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Maui in 2 days.. help on itinery please!

Is the sunset on Haleakala awesome? We were in Maui 3 years ago and did the sunrise adventure. We are going back in 3 weeks, but didn't plan on trekking up to Haleakala again and packing our "winter wardrobe" ....but maybe for a good sunset. What's everyones's opinion?

Gig Harbor...
Level Contributor
4,157 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Maui in 2 days.. help on itinery please!

Doing the sunset will be pretty much the same requirements for wardrobe - might not need quite as much, but even in mid-day it is windy and much cooler than at sea level.