We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

As We Go - When I Can Get To It Trip Report - Day 7&8

Camarillo...
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
4,783 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
As We Go - When I Can Get To It Trip Report - Day 7&8

DAY 7: Let's see, day 7 was...Sunday. That's a good sign. I don't know what day it is - I'm becoming Maui-ized. Started the day off early again with a walk along the coastal trail and then up to the Honolua General Store for some breakfast. Back to Napili Bay for some snorkeling and relaxing. Water is a bit on the cold side for my taste (75) but in the brief time we were in we did see a couple of turtles and followed a small octopus around for a bit. Mid afternoon we headed down to Kihei to see some freinds who live there. We all went to dinner at the Five Palms in So. Kihei. Nice 3 course early bird special before 6pm for $30. Very nice outdoor setting, above average food (had a very well prepared Prime Rib) and they have a great wine list.

DAY 8: Had planned to hike on the Kapalua Village Trails today, but the VOG blew in big time overnight. Completely obliterated Molokai and Lana'i. There was also some pretty large surf today which pretty much killed any snorkeling. Considered running down to South Maui to see if conditions were any better there, but decided neither of us were up for getting in the car. So we went over to the Honolua Ridge and Maunalei Arboretum Trail in Kapalua and hiked there for a while. The Kapalua company has really done a nice job on these hiking trails - there ia plenty of terrain for any ability. Hopefully the Trade Winds will return and push the VOG out so we can get up on the Village Trails for the views from up there. Did the Putting Party and 50 cent Mai Tai mixer at the Napili Kai and then walked over to Merriman's Kapalue for dinner. Clearly one of the nicest restaurant settings on the island. The VOG didn't make for the best sunset today, but for sunset dining, Merriman's is tough to beat. The menu is creative - I had the Merriman's 'Mixed Plate' which consisted of mahi mahi, beef filet, and wok charred ahi with Mac nut brown rice. It was fantasic! Mrs Snowbird had a locally raised lamb with sweet potato puree that was also excellent. We were stuffed but couldn't resist sharing the Maui Gold Flaming Pepper Pineapple. Other's in the forum have reported spotty service but that was not our experience at all. Merriman's is the perfect storm of creative, well prepared food, excellent service, and stunning location. A couple hundred bucks out the door for the two of us, but one of the best meals we've had on Maui. The local news reported today that statewide hotel occupancy is only 66% so I guess I'll just look at it as my own little Maui stimulus package.

Got into a conversation today with a guy on the beach about the Kapalua Residences. Smallest unit is 3000 square feet and they start at $5 million. But wait! Can't quite scrape together $5 mil? You can by a 3 week fractional (that's Ritz Carlton speak for 'timeshare') for just $500,000. Speak up - they're going fast!

More to come...

Gig Harbor...
Level Contributor
4,157 posts
167 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: As We Go - When I Can Get To It Trip Report - Day 7&8

VC - when you don't know what day it is you have definitely reached island time!

Your food reports are tantalizing - but now I have got to find out what is Flaming Pepper Pineapple - sounds yummy.

Maybe I can rent a doorknob at the Kapalua residences.

Thoroughly enjoying living vicariously through your reports. Mahalo

Mount Vernon,Il
Level Contributor
739 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: As We Go - When I Can Get To It Trip Report - Day 7&8

AHHH!!!! To be rich and on Maui!!! I guess like so many others I will just have to settle for being on Maui occassionaly.

Thanks so much for the report updates!!

washington
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
22,683 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: As We Go - When I Can Get To It Trip Report - Day 7&8

OK VC ya gotta explain that "Flaming Pepper Pineapple" not sure if it sounds wonderful or frightening!

santa barbara
Level Contributor
1,688 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: As We Go - When I Can Get To It Trip Report - Day 7&8

Aloha VC,

Great report!! Thank you for taking the time:-) When you hike the Village Trail be sure to notice the little ducks that will come waddling out of the water to greet you and beg for a handout and the Monarchs in the eucalyptus grove that actually float around your head as you hike...what a beautiful way to start your day! We like to get a sandwich and water "to go" at Honolua Store and have a little picnic at the lake at the top, it's so beautiful up there it's hard to leave.

Have you had a meal or blended mocha at the Adventure Center yet? It's a sweet little place with some great views.

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
47,815 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: As We Go - When I Can Get To It Trip Report - Day 7&8

Geat reports VC, enjoying them immensely. The VOG is terrible here in Honolulu. I hear it may clear up by Wed. Happy snorkeling!!

SF Bay Area
Level Contributor
735 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: As We Go - When I Can Get To It Trip Report - Day 7&8

Thanks for the TR's VC!

I'm so happy to hear you had a great dinner at Merriman's. We chose to rent out the lanai facing Kapalua Bay for our wedding reception in a few months. We're really excited, and we also had a GREAT dinner experience there, but like you, we'd heard spotty reveiews lately. I'm so happy to hear that you also had a great experience there - makes me feel better about choosing it for our wedding reception.

Thanks! I look forward to reading more of your TR's!

Hana, Hawaii
Level Contributor
8,157 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: As We Go - When I Can Get To It Trip Report - Day 7&8

Dinner is the least of your worries VC! I got you back with my excellent losses the last year in my mutual funds.

Let me know who much more I want to lose. I can pretend I never had it...Caddy don't cry no more at the statements.

Darn it! Watch for a pink sunset joker! :)

San Diego
Level Contributor
461 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: As We Go - When I Can Get To It Trip Report - Day 7&8

VCSnowbird, we will be on Maui July 1st and was thinking of doing the Kapalua Trail, Can you tell me where it is?

How long of a hike is it?

Thanks Debbie

Camarillo...
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
4,783 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: As We Go - When I Can Get To It Trip Report - Day 7&8

mauiluvr - I'm assuming you are asking about the Kapalua Coastal trail. There are several trails that the Kapalua Company has put in place, but the Coastal trail is probably the most accessible.

As for timing, I suppose it depends on how aggressively you walk and how often you stop along the way to take in the stunning views. The Coastal trail is 1.75 miles long (mostly flat) and at a decent walking clip you could probably walk the length of it and back in a couple of hours. You could also do just segments of the trail in less time. For example, the best part of the trail (IMO) runs between Kapalua and Oneloa Beaches. The trail allows you to detour out on to the rocky point on the south end of Oneloa - way worth doing. A leisurely stroll on that section alone could take a couple of hours. Here's a link where you can download pdf maps of the trails...

kapalua.com/adventures/…hiking.php

The only downside to the coastal trail is the parking situation if you are starting from the Kapalua Beach end. The public lot there is small and is typically full by about 9am. You're left with street parking by the Napili Kai resort if the lot is full. Lots more parking on the DT Flemming

end of the trail.

The Village trail is a bit more of a time commitment. We spent and entire morning up on those trails but the time is well worth it. At the top of the trail you are rewarded with a lovely lake and amazing views out towards Molokai. Hard to pick a favorite. Both of these were fantastic trails.

S W Arkansas
Destination Expert
for Kihei, Maui, Hana, Haleakala National Park
Level Contributor
10,645 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: As We Go - When I Can Get To It Trip Report - Day 7&8

VC thanks for the trail report. We arelooking forward to enjoying them.

And while we are on the West side might as well shop for a villa.:)))