We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Turtle Town off the Beach

Vancouver
Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Topic
Turtle Town off the Beach

I've been reading a lot about not having to take a boat out to see the turtles and just going to a beach and swimming out. This sounds like a great idea, but I'm wondering if this is possible for my 6 and 9 year old children. How deep/far out do you have to go to get a better chance of seeing any turtles? (I believe it was Makena Beach/Wailea?)

If anyone has any further insight, that would be great. If this is not feasible for young children, we will likely book with the Pacific Whale Foundation or Four Winds II.

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
45,916 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Turtle Town off the Beach

The area closest to what people call turtle town is Maluaka Beach that is in front of the Maui Prince in Makena. I don't know your childrens abilities but I believe it would be too far out for them to go. Seeing turtles is a hit or miss proposition. Sometimes you see them sometimes you don't. Just swimming out isn't the best idea. You really need to snorkel to see them. They do come up to breath approx. every twenty minutes but can stay under water for as long as 3 hours!! Your best bet would be to take them out on a boat.

Vancouver
Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Turtle Town off the Beach

Thanks - we'll book a tour!

Princeville, Hawaii
Level Contributor
7,079 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Turtle Town off the Beach

Where are you staying? We saw them every morning out in the rocky area in front of the Punahoa Beach Apartments in Kehei.

MINNEPOLIS
Level Contributor
178 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Turtle Town off the Beach

We took a tour and saw some turtles but actually had much better views of them off the shore of Maui Prince hotel. I would try to do both. Make sure that you bring some snorkel vests along so you don't get as tired swimming.

San Diego
Level Contributor
218 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Turtle Town off the Beach

We saw more than 20 at "Turtle Town" from our tour but we saw maybe 5 or 6 (and the biggest one we saw all week) at Black Rock.

Vancouver
Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Turtle Town off the Beach

Thanks everyone!

We are staying right by Kamaole III. Can I ask approximately what time in the mornings you saw them? Which Kam Beach is that resort near?

Great suggestions - we will try both a tour and seeing them offshore as well. The kids love turtles so it would be a great to see them more than once and from different perspectives.

Which tour did you take? We are seriously considering the PWF one - mostly b/c of cost and the fact that they got to Molokini & Turtle Town. We like the Four Winds II tour to Molokini b/c it has Snuba, but they don't seem to go to Turtle Town. Anyhow, I guess that's a whole other topic. :o)

Kihei, Hawaii
Level Contributor
702 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Turtle Town off the Beach

I see several green sea turtles between Kam II and Kam III. It's called Kamaole Point. Both beaches have lifeguards, and the Kam II lifeguards won't let you swim out to the point if the wind line is coming in, or if the waves and shore break are too risky.

Chilliwack, B.C.
Level Contributor
540 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Turtle Town off the Beach

We watched a huge turtle at the kam beach III he came in very close to the shore and created quite a stir, but we have watch him (not sure of the gender) for the last few years swim back a forth.

Sounds close to where you are staying. SO you might be lucky

Cheers

MArjorie

9. Re: Turtle Town off the Beach

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 December 2009, 06:18