We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Books to read

blaine,minnesota
Level Contributor
13 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Books to read

I am almost done with the book the leper by steve thayer. The end is about his time on molokani leper colony. Any interesting reading you can share that has to do with the islands?

Winnetka, CA
6 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Books to read

There is another book about the colony on Moloka'i titled Moloka'i that was very good. It tells the story of a little girl who was taken from her family and brought to Moloka'i and her experiences there. I enjoyed it. I read it just before I went to Kaua'i last year and the imagery in the book was perfect.

washington
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
22,058 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Books to read

Tony Horwitz...Blue Latitudes, awesome! About the affect of Capt.Cook on the South Pacific.

Maui, Hawaii
Level Contributor
212 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Books to read

I think *everyone* who comes to Hawai'i, and all of those who have been transplanted here, should read the late James Michener's "Hawai'i." It's a fact-based work of fiction that tells the story of the Hawaiian Islands from their birth until Statehood, 50 years ago this August. It's long, and it starts off rather slowly, but you get into it early on, and it's definitely a "page turner" from that point on.

BTW, the use of the word 'leper' and any reference to leprosy, is considered 'politically incorrect' these days. The name of this disease is "Hanson's Disease," and now it is of little concern in most parts of the world since modern medicine has all but eliminated it.

Palo Alto...
Level Contributor
649 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Books to read

Based on similar thread many months (years?) back, I read Molokai, Blue Lattitudes and re-read Hawaii. They were all terrific reads with Michener's Hawaii leading the way.

Gig Harbor...
Level Contributor
4,157 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Books to read

"The Legends and Myths of Hawaii" by His Hawaiian Majesty Kalakaua - - fascinating.

"Aloha O Kalapana" by Frankie Stapelton.

"Maui - Mile by Mile" by John Derrick (he has a couple out - the best Road to Hana guide book)

There are also quite a few great reads on the island of Niihau.

I have a great, but large, book on the history and culture of the east side of Maui - if I can remember to unearth it from current chaos on Tuesday I will provide the title (currently offsite)

Get a copy of "New Hawaiian Pocket Dictionary" by Mary Kawena Pukui and Samuel H. Elbert.

Huntington Beach, CA
Level Contributor
1,645 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Books to read

"Shark Dialogs" by Kiana Davenport, excellent.

Michner's "Hawaii"

"No Footprints in the Sand," written by a Hansen's Disease patient, who actually gave tours of Molokai through Father Damien Tours(?).

Mark Twain wrote about his time in Hawaii, which is humorous as well as interesting from a time perspective.

I discovered an author who was born and raised in the Upcountry, Maui, Armine Von Tempski. Her works are simple novels, but give a very good insight into life on the islands in the early 1900s. Some of the things she wrote are rather racist for today, but you have to realize that her work reflects the thinking of her day. I read her for the glimpses into life on the islands long ago, and caution that you could be offended by some of the things she (innocently) wrote, not being part of the "politically correct"generation.

I also like "Hawaii" magazine and guidebooks.

Are you talking fiction? or non-fiction?

jc

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
51,452 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Books to read

James Michener's Hawaii will give you a good understanding of the blending of the Hawaiian cultures, maybe also Tales of the South Pacific by Michener as well.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
1,783 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Books to read

I think "Shark Dialogues" by Davenport is one of the best books I have ever read. Having been to Molokai I just really enjoyed it. No Footprints in the Sand was ok.

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
42,939 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Books to read

I would read Tales of the So Pacific for a feel for Hawaii. Definitely not his best ... and early work. Focus is the South Seas during WW II. The movie South Pacific is loosely ... and I mean LOOSELY ... based on the book.

10. Re: Books to read

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 December 2009, 06:22