We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

February vs. March for Maui Trip?

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
3,717 posts
87 reviews
Save Topic
February vs. March for Maui Trip?

Hello Hawaii Lovers!

We just returned from our first ever trip to Hawaii/Maui last month, and as expected, fell in love with Maui. We want to see all the islands, but are planning a trip to Maui again for early 2011. Like some on these forums, I like to plan at least a year in advance, and would love some input from either someone that lives on Maui, or those that have spent a lot of time visiting.

So... what do you think? Late Feb. or sometime in March for 2-3 wks. on Maui? Pros vs. cons?

Our trip was from late April through the first week and 1/2 of May, so I've heard the weather is a tad rainier in the first quarter of the year. We have a timeshare at the Marriott, so WHERE we're staying is not in question, just the difference in the crowds, etc. for Feb. vs. March.

Mahalo in advance for your kind assistance! I cannot tell you how helpful these forums were when planning our trip we just returned from!

Cindy

washington
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
22,251 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: February vs. March for Maui Trip?

We go every year and have now decided that end of Feb first of March is perfect for us. Yes we have gotten a day or 2 of rain in a 2 week period but usually not.

Spring break usually takes place later in March and we have watched as overnight families with kids pour onto the island. Which may be something for you to consider as well.

We go for the whales! And that is prime-time for the big boys!

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
3,717 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: February vs. March for Maui Trip?

Hi Mamma0233!

I was kind of hopin' you would reply, as it seems you have visited Maui many times, and since you are a Westin owner, you know the Kaanapali/West Maui area well! :-)

Thanks for your answer. Would you have an approximate date(s) in March when the Spring Break folks start to hit? In other words, when we might want to be heading OUT of Maui?

We really, really enjoyed the low crowds on our 4/29 to 5/11/09 dates. It was awesome. We didn't wait anywhere for a restaurant, except for our res. time at Sansei, and that was short. We stayed at your home resort, the Westin Kaanapali Ocean Villas North and loved it.

Thanks again!!! Once I get our trip booked in a few months here, I get to start my countdown calendar!!! Yea!!!

Cindy

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
3,717 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: February vs. March for Maui Trip?

Addition to my post....

We want to be in high whale season as well! We did get blessed and see them about every other day from our lanais, and saw about 4 on our whale watch, but we knew we were very, very blessed to do so as we were really past season.

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
43,983 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: February vs. March for Maui Trip?

You are not going to find alot of difference between February and March. Spring break varies from school to school - and Maui isn't big with the college set. You do get families.

President's Day weekend is a draw - and honestly, February is a big month for folks to flee the snow.

So choose whichever month is more convenient for you. The rainfall difference between the months is not much. We have had great weather in both.

weather.com/weather/…

With that much time, I would visit 2 islands!

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
3,717 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: February vs. March for Maui Trip?

Hi BLBL!

I always enjoy your posts, thanks for answering mine!

I appreciate greatly the input. We do definitely plan to visit other islands, but for this next trip, just our 2nd to Hawaii, I think we may book Maui again just for the sheer relaxation. If we did book another island, we would most likely try to trade our Marriott Maui TS for one of their resorts in Kauai. What are your thoughts on Kauai? I would love to visit the Big Island as well, though Marriott does not have a TS there at this time.

Like so many folks nowadays, we lead such stressful lives, we all found Hawaii to be sooooooo relaxing. Our first 2 nights were in Hana, and for us, we would truly love spending 4 or 5 nights there just to decompress. I know some people might find that length of time way too much in Hana town, but for us, it was heaven.

Thanks again for your input, and if you have any additional info, I would be most grateful.

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
43,983 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: February vs. March for Maui Trip?

Kauai will probably be a bit wetter ... but Poipu is on the south side of the island and has a reputation for being sunnier. Then again, chilling on Maui can't be beat!

washington
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
22,251 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: February vs. March for Maui Trip?

Hey there! We have run into spring break twice...on or around March 15th...suddenly, over night the villas, sprout children every where! Tis why we go the last week of Feb and first week of March. It's a bit calmer and we have our whales to watch every day from the Lanai! I have nothing against kids...raised 3 myself! Just the noise level goes up,and don't like being hit in the head by the balls they play with!HA

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
3,717 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: February vs. March for Maui Trip?

Hi Again BLBL & Mamma0233!

Thanks again for your input!

Mamma, like you, I too raised 3 kids, and love kids, but when there are LOTS & LOTS of kids, the noise level and chance of, as you said, being hit in the head with a beach ball go up dramatically! lol! I'd just as soon "chill in Maui" as BLBL says, and avoid the busy Spring break time! :-)

I am so excited that I actually get to return to a place that I had dreamt of visiting my entire life! Maui was simply gorgeous, and so relaxing. There are a lot of sights in Maui we did not get to explore on our trip last month. And I cannot wait to return and visit the other islands as well in the coming years! Ahhhhh, Hawaii....... (I'm having olfactory hallucinations, I think I can actually smell the plumeria!!!) LOL

Chicagoland
Level Contributor
20,618 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: February vs. March for Maui Trip?

I don't know if it affects time shares, but hotel and condo rates are higher in February than they are in March (the mainland snowbird thing).

If you want to visit Kauai, winter isn't the best time for that. The beautiful north shore will be wet, cool and rainy -- not 'showers' rainy, but all day rain.

Winter IS a good time to visit Big Island though!

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
3,717 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: February vs. March for Maui Trip?

Hi ChiSue!

Thanks for the valuable info. Knowing that condo rates are more expensive in Feb. than March says a lot. I worked for Disney for several years and higher rates virtually always mean higher demand.

And thanks for the Kauai info. The Big Island has been on my radar for a long time. Being a long time Disney TS owner, I am NOT accustomed to trading through Interval International, though I used to do the searches for our Disney Vacation Club Members all the time, and heard a very, very wide range of feedback. The exchange I did for the Westin Kaanapali Ocean Villas for the first week of May was my very first ever exchange for another TS, and we just got REALLY blessed that the only place I searched for (and only one week, by the way) became available, and it was terrific.

We are new Marriott Maui Ocean Club Members, and I would certainly prefer to exchange for another Marriott for at least the first couple of times. Unfortunately, Marriott does not have a TS on the Big Island at this time.... thus my thought of a week on Kauai as opposed to the Big Island. Sometime in the not too distant future, I definitely want to see BOTH Kauai and Hawaii!

Again, mahalo, for the great input. Since I've only been to Hawaii/Maui one time, I only know about when and where we were!