We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pipiwai Falls Hike

Southern California
Level Contributor
204 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Pipiwai Falls Hike

Visiting Maui in July and would like to do the Pipiwai Falls Hike. My question is can you get to the trails from the south or do you need to take the road to Hana all the way around to the Falls?? The road on the south way is gravel? and are you on a very narrow road with cliffs? Thanks if anyone knows.

Saint Cloud...
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
27,177 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Pipiwai Falls Hike

Pipiwai Trail is right above Ohe'o Gulch. You can get there from the north or the south. I've only taken the northern route (Road to Hana & then to Ohe'o Gulch).

hawaiiweb.com/maui/…WaimokuFalls.htm

Southern California
Level Contributor
204 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Pipiwai Falls Hike

Thanks I was really hoping to find out if it is gravel and narrow. Also the amount of time it would take from Kaanapali area. How long is the trip around the other way going through Hana.

Saint Cloud...
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
27,177 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Pipiwai Falls Hike

The loop basically starts & ends at Kahului Airport.

www.aloha-hawaii.com/assets/resources/49.pdf

Drive times from Kahului Airport (You'll have to copy & paste because of the ~):

http://www.mauigateway.com/~rw/driving.html

From Kaanapali, you have to add the time from Kaanapali to the airport (50 minutes) to the time from the airport to Hana (2 hours 30 minutes).

So 3 hours 20 minutes to Hana from Kaanapali to Hana.

Its another 20-25 minutes from Hana to Ohe'o Gulch.

If you take the southern route to Ohe'o Gulch from the airport, you may save a little time, but not enough to make a difference how you get there.

Ohe'o Gulch appears to be about 1/2 way around the loop.

Don't know how much is unpaved, but it isn't too far. 5-10 miles or so is my guess.

Southern California
Level Contributor
204 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Pipiwai Falls Hike

Thank you -- I guess I will be picking a different Hike didn't want to spend driving around to Hana again. Not that it wasn't beautiful but was just thinking of a half day adventure. Last year we went to the Blow Hole and it was winter time it was fantastic spouting really high. I was thinking of the Iao Needle (sp?) as a back-up. Have a suggestions?

S W Arkansas
Destination Expert
for Kihei, Maui, Hana, Haleakala National Park
Level Contributor
10,559 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Pipiwai Falls Hike

Hulagirl..check out the Kapalua Adventure Center. They have opened a series of trails that are free to hike in the Kapalua area. You do have to sign in at their center for some of the trails but not for the coastal trail that runs from Kapalua Bay to DT Flemming Beach.

Southern California
Level Contributor
204 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Pipiwai Falls Hike

Thanks -- I'm on it. 21 days and counting.

Saint Cloud...
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
27,177 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Pipiwai Falls Hike

I've only done short hikes on Road to Hana & Pipiwai trail to the first waterfall. So I can't give you any info where the best hiking is elsewhere.

You should start a new thread and ask about hiking on West Maui.

Here are some links that might help:

http://www.hawaiitrails.org/

http://www.mauiinfosource.com/

Click on: Maui Maps

Click on: Maui Hiking & Camping Map

johann-sandra.com/hawaii/maui/mauihiking.htm

www.mauimapp.com/information/hiking.htm

Laguna Niguel...
Level Contributor
283 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Pipiwai Falls Hike

Hi HBulagirl,

Don't give up on the Pipwai yet. I routinely drive the southern route to get there. I usually leave the west side about 6:30am and get to Ohe'o gulch around 9 or so. Yes, the road does turn dirt, and there are a few narrow places, but that's half the fun!

Getting an early start minimizes traffic and I'm usually up find the falls all my own. I then drive back around the Hana side for a little variety.

If you decide not to the Pipwai, I second the Kapalua trails, especially if you go up to the shuttle dropoff.

Two other very nice hikes are the Waihe'e Valley and Ridge trails outside Wailuku. These can get a little clouded in, so try to get to the trailheads around 8am or so.

Hope this helps.

Southern California
Level Contributor
204 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Pipiwai Falls Hike

Thanks for all your help I just saw the Waihe'e Ridge that sounded kind of nice with the swinging bridges I heard it is only a 2 hour hike so I thought we could stop at the Iao after? Also maybe the Bailey House. Sound Good?

Laguna Niguel...
Level Contributor
283 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Pipiwai Falls Hike

It's the Waihe'e Valley trail that has the swinging bridges, and it is very picturesque. You can see remnants of the water tunnels that were dug into the hillside to divert the water flow, and the dam at the end has a nice pond for cooling off after the hike.