We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dressing for Hana trip

Spokane, WA
Level Contributor
37 posts
Save Topic
Dressing for Hana trip

I see lots of opportunities for getting wet during the trip and was wondering how people dress. Does one wear a swimsuit and stay wet all day, are there places to change to dry clothes, or does one sun dry before getting back in the car? Also if staying wet is the option does anyone have ideas for keeping the car seats from getting soaked?

Mount Vernon,Il
Level Contributor
739 posts
Save Reply
11. Re: Dressing for Hana trip

As far as shoes for men, I wore my Nike running shoes and took a pair of sandels. That worked great for me and my wife did the same.

Huntington Beach, CA
Level Contributor
1,645 posts
1 review
Save Reply
12. Re: Dressing for Hana trip

vinnylep:

PLEASE tell your wife that CROCS are NOT the best hiking shoes! Especially if her feet are wet from the water. She could seriously turn an ankle and my experience is that I regretted wearing my CROCs while walking around tide pools, etc.

jc

Michigan
Level Contributor
122 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Dressing for Hana trip

Crocs aren't even CLOSE to being hiking shoes. My husband and I are going to buy some Keens. I wouldn't want to spend a ton of money going to Maui and then have the trip ruined by a sprained ankle or injured feet because I didn't spend a hundred bucks on a pair of good shoes.

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
451 posts
1 review
Save Reply
14. Re: Dressing for Hana trip

Vinneylep:

"i have been trying to convince the wife she needs something other than her regular flip flops"

I shared your wife's opinion on flip flops until I did some hiking with them (Manoa Falls Trail Oahu). I learned my lesson. Just let her make do with flip flops. It will probably be the last time you'll have to have the discussion.

west virginia
Level Contributor
133 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Dressing for Hana trip

Aren't tennis shoes/ running shoes etc okay? I don't want to have to go and buy shoes for the trip!

Menomonie, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
784 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Dressing for Hana trip

Hubby and I both wore our swimsuits. He had a tee shirt to wear, and I wore shorts and a tee shirt over mine. We also both brought a set of dry clothes if we wanted to change. He and I also put towels on the seats of the car for any dampness but for the most part we dried off.

As for shoes we both wore Keens. It was nice to have the good grips on the bottom of the shoes, but have them still be sandals. They dried fairly fast (faster than tennis shoes would), and they were protective when swimming in the waterfall areas since there can be rocks. My toes his the rocks a few times and it would have really hurt had it not been for the toe cover of the Keens. Yes they are expensive but I feel that you really get your money out of them. I even wore them all over Disney World when we were there in a tropical storm (that is after I tried my Crocs and my feet slid right out in the rain).

Huntington Beach, CA
Level Contributor
1,645 posts
1 review
Save Reply
17. Re: Dressing for Hana trip

Keens. Yes they are expensive but I feel that you really get your money out of them. I even wore them all over Disney World when we were there in a tropical storm (that is after I tried my Crocs and my feet slid right out in the rain).

>>>>>>>>>>>

Thanks for the tip about Keens. I'll have to check them out for my next trip. I agree with your comment about the Crocs. They're great shoes, but in the wrong place, they can be dangerous.

jc

Olympia,WA.
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Reply
18. Re: Dressing for Hana trip

Teva are good for light hiking and getting in & out of the water..... About the only footwear I wear are teva's & a good set of flip flops, I pack shoes but never wear them... As far as clothing & being wet and getting in the car, you will dry off enough and just throw a towel down on the seat...

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
451 posts
1 review
Save Reply
19. Re: Dressing for Hana trip

"Aren't tennis shoes/ running shoes etc okay? I don't want to have to go and buy shoes for the trip!"

IMO, on a lot of trails you can use trailing running shoes instead of hiking boots/shoes. As far whether you can use tennis shoes/running - depends on the trail and type of shoe. If it has some tread you should be fine.

pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
23,604 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: Dressing for Hana trip

We've always been happy with our Tevas.