We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Westin Maui

uk
3 posts
Save Topic
Westin Maui

I have booked my honeymoon at the westin maui in December. I have been reading mixed reviews of this hotel, Im getting worried that the hotels is going to ruin our honeymoon, as we want it to be the best 8 days ever. I trust you guys to tell me the truth. Thank you very much

Hoffman Estates, IL
Level Contributor
515 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Westin Maui

I hear ya, same concerns and we're going next month. Based on what I've read here, it really depends on the room type. We have upgraded to the premium ocean view so I think we will be OK. The rest of the resort sounds beautiful, most people only complained about the room. Maybe something to consider being your honeymoon and all. Worth the $$$$ from what people have said here.

Grand Rapids...
Level Contributor
13 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Westin Maui

We didn't stay at the Westin but stayed just down the beach from it at the Hyatt last week for our honeymoon, so we walked past it almost daily. I didn't see the rooms but the grounds and pool area are very nice and the hotel looked nice. From what I could see, the ocean front rooms would all have an awesome view. We walked through their lobby looking for some shops (there really weren't any) and it seemed like they really try to push their vacation club thing so I don't know if that would be an issue or not. Even if the rooms end up not being great you are on a fabulous beach with a lot to do and you really probably aren't going to spend all that much time in your room anyway.

Itasca, IL
2 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Westin Maui

Just wondering how your trip was and if you kept your room at the Westin? I am staying there in June for my honeymoon. I have heard great things about the hotel but became a little skeptical after reading all the posts.

Chicago
Level Contributor
31 posts
273 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Westin Maui

I suggest that you check in as early as you can so that the choice rooms are still available. Try to check in before the official 2PM time (check out is usually 11AM, so rooms should be available as early as 12noon) and always ask for an upgrade. Good luck and enjoy!!

MI
Level Contributor
515 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Westin Maui

Hi there-

We just stayed at the Westin from 12/2-12/10. This was our second stay at the Westin on Maui. And I will definitely go back.

We had room 520 our first two nights, which was a mountain view. The last 8 nights we switched rooms to 947, which was an ocean view. Both rooms were in the main building, which means they are the smaller rooms.

IF you get two double beds, then the rooms really are too small. The first night that we were there we arrived late, and they only had double beds left, even though we booked a king room. If we were willing to keep the mountain view room one more night, they would give us a free upgrade to the ocean view king room. SOLD! In retrospect, I'm glad this worked out the way it did so I could compare the rooms.

The room with the two double beds was too small. I would not stay here with kids in the same room as there is not enough room. It was fine for two nights, but I would feel very cramped if I stayed the entire time in that room.

The king room with the ocean view was awesome. The view was incredible (saw whales our first night in the room). Yes, the lanais are on the small side, and they don't afford alot of privacy, but they are still ok to sit out on and enjoy the views. There was ample room for us to lay our scuba gear out to dry on the chairs and table, and scuba gear takes up a decent amount of space.

In terms of space, there is no closet in the main tower rooms, but there is an armoire that has a place to hang clothes. There is a metal bar in the armoire so that you can put two rows of clothes in there. I'm a notorious pack rat, and there was plenty of room for my stuff. I did need to ask for extra hangers from housekeeping, however, but that was a simple request. The armoire also had two drawers to place clothes. In addition, there was a nightstand on each side of the bed. Each nightstand had two big drawers, and one little drawer.

There is only one sink in the bathroom. The vanity area is seperated from the toilet and shower. Some people complain about the size of the bathroom, but again, for two people it was fine. There is plenty of place to store things; both under the sink (next to the mini frige) and under the vanity. The shower is a normal size shower, and the heavenly bath shower head is wonderful. The light in the bathroom is a bit on the dim side, but it is the brightest in the shower, which is where you'd like the most light to be.

We put our luggage under the bed which freed up alot of space in the room.

The heavenly bed is awesome. One of the more comfortable beds in the hotel industry, IMO. Plenty of pillows as well.

In each room, there is free (as in it's included in your resort fee) internet access. So if you have a laptop, you may want to think about bringing it, as we used ours everyday for looking up local phone #s, directions, and reviews on restaurants. It was great to have it handy.

In terms of overall resort ambience and amenities, the service is for the most part very very good. You'll run into the occasional crab apple, but they are the exception not the rule.

The fitness center was again small, but had everything you needed for both cardio and weigh equipment. All the cardio machines are hooked up to individual monitors with cable tv, and had complimentary headphones. The hours were from 6am-8pm. Peak hours seemed to be 6-8 am. There was probably around 10 or 12 cardio machines including bikes, treadmills, stairmasters, and elliptical trainers. The weight machine selection was not that great, but what they had was enough to hit all the muscle groups.

The grounds are beautiful. The pool is spectacular, and there is an adult pool if you want to escape from the kids. There is also a decent sized pool slide which we never used. Unfortunately, there is no swim up bar, but we somehow survived! Lots of waterfalls by the pool, and the tropical landscaping is everywhere.

The Westin has, I think, the best location on Ka'anapali beach. It is right next door to Whaler's village (for bars, restaurants, a food court during the day for cheaper non-resort food options), and is half way between the Sheraton (and Black Rock) and the Hyatt. There are two showers by the entrance to the beach for rinsing sand off.

If you go to the Westin, expecting this huge room, you will be disappointed. But if you go knowing that the room will be a little small, but with plenty of places to put your stuff, you'll be very happy. We were never in our room for very long anyway. Once we got up, we were out on the beach or at the pool most of the day (unless we were off doing an excursion or scuba diving Black Rock).

Hope that helps!

San Carlos...
Level Contributor
1,530 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Westin Maui

I stayed at Kaanapali in October. First if you want a quiet honeymoon I suggest the Wailea area. Way less crowded, better beaches and just mellower in general. If you really want to stay on Kaanapali, I think the Sheraton has it over the Westin. The Westin is overrun with kids, when we were there it seemed like a zoo. The Sheraton is more open, is on the best area of the beach by far, and is away from all the foot traffic that the whalers village brings to the Westin's part of the beach. I've stayed on most of the islands over the years, and it will be a long time before I ever want to go back to Kaanapali. West Maui, especially around Lahaina is not my idea of a layed back Hawaiian vacation. Just my 2 cents.

Bradford...
Level Contributor
39 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Westin Maui

We booked at the Kaanapali Alii (next to the Westin) for one week and had 2 nights at the Westin. I can't remember the exact room number but we arrived late and (based on reviews) picked a room overlooking the Whaler's Village (bigger) with a side view of the ocean. We had 2 teenagers with us. The side room had a balcony and the room size was fine. Consider this if you can't get the room you want. What I would NOT get is a ocean view that wasn't on an upper floor. They do have an acoustic issue with the waterfall they put in - VERY LOUD first couple of floors - add that to the sound of all the kids!