We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tentative Intinerary - your opinion welcomed

Washington
Level Contributor
10 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Tentative Intinerary - your opinion welcomed

We are staying at the Maui Sheraton from Tue 7/28 to Tue 8/4. We are traveling from the West Coast, and although we like to relax on vacation, we also like to see as much as possible (and relax in between). Here is my tentative intinerary ;

Tues 7/28 - plane lands about 12:30pm. Get rental car, stop at Costco and get drinks, small groceries; drive to Kaanapali and check in to hotel. Explore, unpack, etc

Wed 7/29 - Up early to see sunrise at Haleakala. (I am thinking we should leave about 3am - is that about right?) Breakfast at Kula Lodge. Explore area then back to hotel to nap on the beach. Luau - Feast at Lele

Thur 7/30 - beaches

Fri 7/31 - Road to Hana

Sat 8/1 - Beaches

Sun 8/2 Molokini Snorkel - Kai Kanani (early am)

Brunch at Maui Prince (will we have a place to get cleaned up before brunch?) - Explore south Maui

Mon 8/3 - Beaches

Tues 8/4 Fly out at 3pm

We want to explore the beaches up north as well as visit Iao Valley

I welcome your comments, suggestions :)

Mentioned in this post
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
Kaanapali Beach Hotel
Kaanapali Beach Hotel
4,505 Reviews
Maui, HI
Kula Lodge
Kula Lodge
1,317 Reviews
Maui, HI
Feast At Lele
Feast At Lele
1,706 Reviews
Maui, HI
Hana
Hana
Maui, HI
Hana Kai Maui
Hana Kai Maui
712 Reviews
Maui, HI
Iao Valley
Iao Valley
97 Reviews
Maui, HI
California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
46,057 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tentative Intinerary - your opinion welcomed

If you are staying at the Sheraton Maui, there is NO need to stop at Costco. Head for your hotel - drop your bags and walk down the path (10 minutes max) to the Hula Grill (outdoor seating) in Whaler's Village. Order macadamia nut crab wontons with garlic chili oil on the side. Gaze at Lanai across the channel. Aaahhh ...

If you want to stock up on sodas, chips, nuts, etc., there is an ABC Store in Whaler's Village. Pick up plenty of water as well. Their prices are competitive ... and they are SO handy.

If you are staying on Ka'anapali, you don't have to go all the way to Molokini to snorkel. Lots of good posts on this lately. There is a great catamaran trip that leaves from Ka'anapali - Trilogy. So handy ... just roll out of bed and there you are! Excellent service and lunch.

Plan some time for Lahaina. We like to go in the morning when it is cooler, have breakfast at Moose McGilloughcuddy's and then explore. Shop, browse the waterfront, visit the historic landmarks. On the way back, you may want to stop at the Cannery. There is a Long's there that is another good place to stock-up if need be.

The Maui Ocean Center is very nice and can easily be coupled with a trip to the Needle.

Mentioned in this post
Sheraton Maui Resort & Spa
Sheraton Maui Resort...
4,602 Reviews
Maui, HI
Hula Grill Kaanapali
Hula Grill Kaanapali
5,899 Reviews
Maui, HI
Lanai
Lanai
Hawaii
Ka'anapali
Ka'anapali
Maui, HI
Lahaina
Lahaina
Maui, HI
Maui Ocean Center
Maui Ocean Center
4,086 Reviews
Maui, HI
United States
Level Contributor
2,877 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tentative Intinerary - your opinion welcomed

Looks good. I'm stopping at costco on my way to kaanapali.

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
46,057 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tentative Intinerary - your opinion welcomed

If I were staying in a condo and making meals, I might stop at Costco ... except that Costco doesn't carry much food - I'm told. Besides, it's always best to get settled and determine what you need before hitting Costco, Safeway or such. These are "lifelines" from the Mainland that you may not always need.

Chesterfield, Mich.
Level Contributor
3,890 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tentative Intinerary - your opinion welcomed

BL BL, you are too funny. In your first reply to this post, in the first paragraph you had me hooked! Crab wontons with garlic chili dipping oil!!! Drooling all over my keyboard!

Yeah well, Costco has food. But if you want to buy in BULK, great. I shop there, but never is there anything in a normal size. If you are in a hotel room, how will you store anything? The Long's, Safeway, ABC stores is a much better option.

Napa, California
Level Contributor
2,024 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tentative Intinerary - your opinion welcomed

You cannot reforem a true Costco shopper - you can try but it just won't happen.

The Maui Costco has plenty of food - but also what I consider my Maui necessities, MAui Onion chips, Hawaiian princess mac nut popcorn, drinks, rolling ice chest, sunscreen........ lots of stuff.

When we are in a condo, it is obvious, but in a hotel, we still will visit Costco - it's just part of our trip.

Your itinerary looks just fine to me! On your road to Hana day, eat dinner in Paia. My favorite spot is Cafe Des Amis, they have the most amazing banana creps.mmmmmmm (it is a cute inexpensive cafe)

Mentioned in this post
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
Hana
Hana
Maui, HI
Paia
Paia
Maui, HI
Cafe des Amis
Cafe des Amis
619 Reviews
Maui, HI
California
Level Contributor
7,212 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tentative Intinerary - your opinion welcomed

Kristin, we also have the same travel dates. We always stop at Costco, even if it's just for a case of water, beer, snacks etc. Even if you don't drink a case of water it's still cheaper at Costco than to buy it at Safeway. Also, your room most likely won't be ready when you get there that early so it makes more sence to stop for food and lunch after getting out of the airport.

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
46,057 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tentative Intinerary - your opinion welcomed

You fly all the way to gorgeous Maui and go to Costco. There's just something inherently wrong with that. Oh, well!

Mentioned in this post
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
S W Arkansas
Destination Expert
for Kihei, Maui, Hana, Haleakala National Park
Level Contributor
10,902 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Tentative Intinerary - your opinion welcomed

>>>Sun 8/2 Molokini Snorkel - Kai Kanani (early am)

Brunch at Maui Prince (will we have a place to get cleaned up before brunch?) - Explore south Maui<<<<

If the Maui Prince doesn't have a changing area and a tall showerpost (only know about the short one by the activity stand.then...

The County free parking for the beach is about 1/8 mile from the beach. It has nice shower post..we use the restrooms to change then head to brunch. Don't bring your hairdryer..

Mentioned in this post
Hana Kai Maui
Hana Kai Maui
712 Reviews
Maui, HI
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
S W Arkansas
Destination Expert
for Kihei, Maui, Hana, Haleakala National Park
Level Contributor
10,902 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Tentative Intinerary - your opinion welcomed

>>>Sun 8/2 Molokini Snorkel - Kai Kanani (early am)

Brunch at Maui Prince (will we have a place to get cleaned up before brunch?) - Explore south Maui<<<<

If the Maui Prince doesn't have a changing area and a tall showerpost (only know about the short one by the activity stand.then...

The County free parking for the beach is about 1/8 mile from the beach. It has nice shower post..we use the restrooms to change then head to brunch. Don't bring your hairdryer..

Mentioned in this post
Hana Kai Maui
Hana Kai Maui
712 Reviews
Maui, HI
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
washington
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
22,947 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Tentative Intinerary - your opinion welcomed

First night head down to the Lagoon Bar for drinks and pupu's as the sun sets and they light the torches! Be sure and take the free shuttle up to the Westin Villas and check out the beach in front!

As to Costco...Kailuamom is right...this tiger ain't changing her stripes anytime soon! BLBL my dear "they have no food"??? Oh boy..not even going there and there is a fridge/mini-bar in most Sheraton rooms (ask them to clear it out!) With an early flight it's just worth a stop at Costco to check out the local books and fun stuff they have locally...Kona coffee, macadamia nuts as well as in-room munchies, if you "know Costco" you will be in and out in no time!. I will however advise taking a few refillable water bottles and not adding to the landfill problems on the island...the tap water is just fine there!

Kristin sounds like a fun trip just don't be afraid to veer from the agenda if another "lazy day" feel right! Have fun!

Mentioned in this post
The Westin Maui Resort & Spa, Ka'anapali
The Westin Maui Resort...
5,477 Reviews
Maui, HI
Kailua-Kona
Kailua-Kona
Island of Hawaii, HI