We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Short Maui Visit Itinerary

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
25 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Short Maui Visit Itinerary

We are planning a short trip to Maui (5 days & nights) and I was wondering what is the best way to do it. We would like to drive the road to Hana and stay the night there which means at least one hotel move. At the moment we are thinking:

Day 1 - Arrive Maui in the evening, stay in/close to Paia

Day 2 - Haleakala visit & hike/cycle. Stay in/close Paia

Day 3 - Drive to Hana and stay there

Day 4 - Drive to Wailea/South Kihei (not sure yet which way round to drive) and stay there (3rd hotel)

Day 5 - Morning diving on Molokini, stay Wailea/South Kihei

Day 6 - Kayak/snorkel trip, fly in the late afternoon.

This means 3 different hotels and short stays in each place. Haleakala would be an early morning on the first day which I often see recommended, but since our normal time zone is +12 hours we will probably have trouble getting up whatever day we do it. Alternatively we could save the Hana road till last and stay 4 nights in Kihei (meaning a longer drive to Haleakala). Any recommendations?

Also, we plan to skip the north-west altogether. We are more into diving/kayak/snorkel/walking/nice nature than resort/beach lounging - is going to South Maui the right choice? I know it is possible to dive Molokini out of Lahaina as well but that the boat ride is longer. From what I have read I definitely want to avoid the "Kihei strip", looking more for boutique/romantic atmosphere than party town or family oriented. Does South Kihei/Wailea fit that description?

Sorry for the long post...

Hawaiian Paddle Sports
Scuba & Snorkeling, Dolphin & Whale Watching, Stand-Up Paddleboarding, Kayaking & Canoeing, Surfing, Windsurfing & Kitesurfing
Paddle On! Maui
Dolphin & Whale Watching, Private Tours, Stand-Up Paddleboarding, Kayaking & Canoeing
Aloha Kayaks Maui
Kayaking & Canoeing, Stand-Up Paddleboarding, Boat Tours, Dolphin & Whale Watching, Nature & Wildlife Tours
Maui Kayak Adventures
Boat Tours, Dolphin & Whale Watching, Scuba & Snorkeling, Kayaking & Canoeing, Nature & Wildlife Tours
Level Contributor
21,963 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Short Maui Visit Itinerary

I'd stay four nights one place: South Kihei or Wailea. It's a twenty minute drive from Kihei to Kahului, where you pick up the roads to Haleakaa and Hana. There's 4-lane highway all the way.

I don't see any advantage to staying in Paia except as an early departure point for Hana or Upcountry.

Most condos have a four night minimum -- if you are looking for a condo! Take a look at this site to see aerial views and read reviews of what's available in South Kihei and Wailea: www.wizardpub.com The rates now in this recession are lower than what the site lists, and you can often rent for *much* less direct from a condo's owner via: www.vrbo.com

I like these:

South Kihei, beachfront: Hale Pau Hana, Kihei Surfside.

Wailea, beachfront: Wailea Ekahi or Elua, Polo Beach Club, Makena Surf.

There are others across a street from the beaches: Maui Kamaole, The Palms, Grand Champions. (and more)

Napa, California
Level Contributor
2,024 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Short Maui Visit Itinerary

I agree with ChiSue. I will add that I really like Paia to eat and walk around - but prefer to stay in Wailea. We usually stay at the Ekahi condos. This October we may stay at the Maui Prince - still deciding.

Lahaina, Maui...
Level Contributor
48 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Short Maui Visit Itinerary

Aloha taco77,

Your itinerary will work - but you can make your trip feel less hectic and with less moving if you would prefer.

Keeping the itinerary how it is, I would recommend Inn at Mama's Fish House or Paia Inn in Paia and Hotel Hana Maui in Hana.

Changing your itinerary up a bit, I would suggest doing something we have had several guests do while on Maui...

Stay with us, leave for Hana (packing a small overnight bag and leaving the rest with us) and stay the night, come back to us for the remainder of their time on Maui. Other small places might be willing to store your bags as well. Either way, this makes your visit feel less disjointed and more like you have a 'homebase'.

As owner of Ho'oilo House B&B I would of course recommend you stay with us in West Maui. ;-)

I'm sure you will get plenty of suggestions for south Maui in other posts.

Have a great visit!

PS You can see us in the July/August issue of Living magazine in Denmark.

4. Re: Short Maui Visit Itinerary

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 January 2010, 07:18
Follow this conversation!
Get notified when a new reply comes in.
Follow now