We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pipiwai trail

New York
Level Contributor
122 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Pipiwai trail

Hiking the Pipiwai trail is a must do for me and am wondering when my best bet to do it is. Should we do the hike after we drive to Hana; will we have enough time? (We are coming from Kahana) or is there another way to get to the trailhead so that we don't have to squeeze it into our Hana day. Thanks!

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
1,055 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Pipiwai trail

It took us 3 1/2 hours to complete the trail, stopping for lunch at the falls for about 20 minutes. If you left early enough I guess you could squeeze it in, depending on how many stops you made along the way.

I'd highly recommend staying at least one night in Hana, that will give you ample time to explore.

Laguna Niguel...
Level Contributor
282 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Pipiwai trail

When I do this I typically leave from the Ka'anapali area around 6a.m. and drive straight to the trailhead, your choice of which way to go. This gets you there around 9:00 or so. Take the time to enjoy both the hike and the great waterfall at the end. Then head back and do the quick circuit around the Ohe'o Gulch area.

Then I do the Road to Hana in reverse. Most of the traffic has calmed down by then and as long as you've made your list of places to visit in reverse order, you'll be all set!

west virginia
Level Contributor
133 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Pipiwai trail

I just did this trail last week. It was fantastic. It took us about 4 hours, but we stopped for a few minutes here and there, and lingered in the bamboo forest to bask in the beauty. We spent about 25 minutes or so at the waterfalls. We were completely exhausted, but had rented a cottage the for 3 days in Hana-glad we didn't have to drive back afterwards!

New York
Level Contributor
122 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Pipiwai trail

Would anyone be able to give me directions to the trail head from either Kahana or Kihei???

Hartford...
Level Contributor
1,276 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Pipiwai trail

We did the road to Hana one day and didnt know about the trail until I bought the Maui revealed book. We ended up renting a jeep the 2nd week and did the road to hana again, much better in a jeep. Oh if you have the exta cash rent a jeep. we had the top off all week long. It was one of the many highlights of our trip. You wont have any trouble finding the trail head when you reach the park. Bring a swim suit with you and take as many dips as you can. Another highlight of our trip was taking a dip in the infinity pool. Just pay attention to raising water.

6. Re: Pipiwai trail

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 February 2010, 05:18