We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travelling Alone in Maui

California
6 posts
Save Topic
Travelling Alone in Maui

Hello,

I'm a single woman planning a trip to Maui on September 11th, and I'm staying at the Sands of Kahana. I was there with a friend in 2007 when I was able to use a week of my parent's timeshare.

At the moment, I can't find any friends who have both the time and the money to travel with me. So, I've decided to go by myself. I'm pretty independent, but I've never travelled alone before. I'm wondering if anyone has suggestions on meeting other single travelers. I know no matter how many activities I schedule, there's going to be some downtime when I'm alone. Maui is such a beautiful place, but the last time I was there, I noticed a lot of couples and families.

I haven't booked my flight yet, and I'm trying to psych myself up for my solo adventure. Thanks so much!!

Susan

Oregon
Level Contributor
4,366 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travelling Alone in Maui

As a person with a family, I've also noticed a lot of families but I do see women on "girls trips" at the pool and doing other activities. You can always go on a snorkeling excursion and at least have people you can talk to. You might find it difficult to find travelers open to hanging out with new people but try the pool area of your condo complex first. Look for people who don't have kids and are not newlyweds.

See if you can volunteer somewhere for a community event. I know Lahaina always has something going on and the Maui Marathon takes place in September.

If I were in the same position, I would go zip-lining, snorkel boat cruises, hikes with a guide along the RTH, and learn how to surf. If you don't meet up with anybody, just enjoy the downtime and read a couple of good books.

Napa, California
Level Contributor
2,024 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travelling Alone in Maui

I travel alone for business a lot. It's different than vacation I realize but only for the better!

What I find is that I am great on a bit of a schedule, so I would have planned activities each day. I find that I often don't want to eat solo (especially tired). So, I often get room service and rent a movie. If you will be at the timeshare, just be sure that you have thought through what you want to do at night.

There was a great trip report a few months back of a guy who had a great solo trip to Maui. I will dig around and see if I can find it.

Napa, California
Level Contributor
2,024 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travelling Alone in Maui

Here you go - rthere are several links inside the link to different days of the trip.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g29220-i86-k251280…

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
43,323 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Travelling Alone in Maui

I may be in your shoes over Thanksgiving -- with my other travel plans (Italy!) cancelled just yesterday by the tour leader (a large family group bailed on her!). So -- what's easier than going to Maui??

In trying to make my decision, I'm thinking about those things that I never really had time to do. Really POKE around Makawao and Paia. Go ALL THE WAY to Hana! Sit on the lanai and read a book -- with no other plans to rush me. Go back to the Hyatt for the Stargazing Show. Actually (cough!) go to a luau?? Lots of trips to Hawaii - but never been to a luau (you all may notice that I don't really give advice about them). Try hole-in-the-wall restaurants. I may even do a little snooping around some hotels. And, sad but true, there are lots of places where I never have shopped.

I have traveled alot on business as well -- and I have found that the worst thing in the world is watching TV in the room and ordering room service. Most of my travel came back-to-back in the fall ... and it was SO easy to gain XXX pounds from sitting around. Danger: Will Robinson!

Toronto,Canada
Level Contributor
2,017 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Travelling Alone in Maui

i remeber another woman planning a solo trip to Maui is September. I know she was getting some good advice I will see if i can find that topic.

Toronto,Canada
Level Contributor
2,017 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Travelling Alone in Maui

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g29220-i86-k298636…

there appear to be two different woman

perhaps you can message them for some additional advice

Napa, California
Level Contributor
2,024 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Travelling Alone in Maui

At least for me, room service is a godsend! When traveling solo, I just don't always find the fun in eating at nice restaurants, getting ready and searching it out. (sometimes it's good though, just not all the time) I think it also in what you order. A chicken breast and veggies is the same calories in the room or at a table. But if I'm in the room I don't have to worry about what I look like while I'm eating it! Oh, and I get to watch movies that I wouldn't usually get to watch at home with DH and the kids.

I have a Kindle and carry it - I end up reading quite a lot when traveling on my own - which is delicious!

To each their own, I'm just sharing my experience.

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
3,710 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Travelling Alone in Maui

Hi Browneyedgirl67!

I was single for a number of years, and had wanted to go to Hawaii for most of my life. I spoke with a wonderful lady from the Mauna Lani on the Big Island, Alicia, was her name as I recall, and I asked her how the Hawaiian people would receive a single woman traveling alone. She smiled the most brilliant smile, and said, "the Hawaiian people would EMBRACE you!!!!"

I never did make that Hawaii trip by myself, but after making many other trips alone, I can tell you I would DEFINITELY go to Hawaii alone. I think one always should be prudent when traveling alone, particularly when going solo as a woman, but the Sands of Kahana is in a good area, you'll have breathtaking views, and I agree that one or 2 PLANNED activities/day would keep you from feeling isolated.

As for dining alone, I always carried a small book or a small notebook (for journaling, lists, whatever), in case I felt odd dining alone. But the truth is, I rarely needed them! It seemed I would frequently end up chatting casually with others nearby, and sometimes they would even ask me to join them. I find time alone healing and wonderful!!! I say GO FOR IT!!! Aloha!

NJ
Level Contributor
361 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Travelling Alone in Maui

I've gone to Maui twice solo... more or less. First time I was solo the entire trip. (12 days) The second trip I went solo as well, but a bunch of my friends were going the same time... so while I didn't go with them, we did meet up almost every other day.

My perspective is probably somewhat different being a guy, but I actually enjoyed both trips a lot. I did eat out at a few restaurants, but in my line of work I work by myself and am on the road a bit, so it's not all that strange for me to eat alone.

I did choose to stay at a B&B, which was nice cause I got to know the other guests... eat some meals with them... watch tv together, etc.

Not many of my friends are able to go to Maui... and I really didn't want to not go because of that. Life is too short... it was my first solo trip, and I'd do it again in a min. It was nice being there the last trip with my friends, but even that it's like - everyone has to agree on where we're going, what we're doing, etc. Being solo and just deciding on the spur of the moment has a lot going for itself. If I wanted to do the back loop... I just got in my jeep and did it.

Oh.. the owner of the place I stayed at for the last trip... she had some friends that were going on a hike one day and she asked me if I wanted to go with them.... which I gladly did and it turned out to be one of the highlights of that trip.

So even though you may be there by yourself, there are always ways to hook up with other people for various activities.

California
6 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Travelling Alone in Maui

Thanks so much for all your great advice and encouragement!! I've been reading the forums for a few years, but didn't join until now. I learned a lot of helpful info that I used when I went to Maui in 2007.

I especially liked the suggestion to bring a notebook when dining alone. I think meals will be the most difficult though, but hopefully I'll meet others to occasionally eat out with. I enjoy volunteering at sporting events, but unfortunately, I'll be missing the Maui Marathon by a few days.

One thing I haven't figured out yet is how to let others know I'm travelling alone and are open to meeting up with them, but still keep myself safe. I do think travelling alone for a woman is a little different than a guy (as the previous post) touched on.

I did have one more question about the weather in September. I read a few posts mentioning that it's one of the warmest times of the year. Can anyone confirm this? I think SOK does not have A/C which I hadn't thought of beforehand. I grew up in NJ where the summers were very humid, but since I've been in Cali for so many years, I think I'd forgotten what it was like.

By the way, this is my first post as well as first reply, so I hope I'm replying properly. :)