We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Vacation Planning Help for Maui trip in October

Akron, Ohio
Level Contributor
48 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Vacation Planning Help for Maui trip in October

Hi All,

My boyfriend and I are planning at trip to Maui in October and we would like to go for 6-7 days. We have just started our search online for the best deals but are having trouble finding anything lower than $1,200 a person.

Are there any resources or advice anyone can give me on finding vacation packages (air + hotel) to Maui for this amount of time that are under this price? Also if anyone could narrow down just a few of the top recommendations for a hotel either in South or West Maui that would also be helpful! I'm feeling a bit overwhelmed by some of the forum posts! We want to stay in a nice hotel, like a 3-4 star place on the beach, nothing that is over the top. We're mainly looking for a nice, romantic getway and plan on just being on the beach and doing a few excursions.

Thanks!

Sheila

Charleston, South...
Level Contributor
507 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Vacation Planning Help for Maui trip in October

I think you would really like the Maui Prince Resort in South Maui. It is located in Makena, about 4 miles south of Wailea. The Maui Prince has one of the best and least crowded beaches in Maui, since it is shared by no other resort. It is not as plush as the Four Seasons or Grand Wailea, but all rooms have at least a patial ocean view...and their rates are some of the best you will find on Maui.

Check out www.PrinceResortsHawaii.com for more info.

You might also want to visit www.wizardpub.com for aerial views and unbiased reviews of other hotels and condos on Maui.

Enjoy your trip! Hey, regardless of where you stay, you will be in Maui...and you will have a blast! Do not spend all of your time at the resort. Get out and enjoy the beauty of the island!

Napa, California
Level Contributor
2,024 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Vacation Planning Help for Maui trip in October

How much lower do you want to go? Detroit is pretty far, so airfaire is going to be a pretty big chunk, no matter what. If you would like to pay less for your lodging, you may want to consider a condo.

If that interests you, go to VRBO.com and start looking around.

For hotels, I think you would be happy in West Maui at the Sheraton on Ka'anapali beach. (which has deals at the moment).

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
43,321 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Vacation Planning Help for Maui trip in October

Hmmm... a little contrary information. You want something really nice on the beach, but you want something really cheap. You want top recommendations ...

I would recommend that you go to a travel agent and look at packages: Classic Hawaii, Pleasant Holidays, United Airlines. They can include air/hotel/car. Yes, you'll need a car. Pick up a bunch of package brochures - take them home - and consider your options. Generally, the packages are scaled by price - so you can pick and choose the hotel and the view. Count nights (not days) when planning for the hotel.

Yes, the forum posts on hotels in South Maui versus West Maui are overwhelming. That's because we answer the same questions over and over - and we tend to have our favorites. So - read your brochures, narrow down your choices, and get back to us.

Boston
Level Contributor
120 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Vacation Planning Help for Maui trip in October

kayak.com is a favorite of mine for finding great deals (especially flights) all prices for flights include all tazes and fees, so what you see is what you get there. Kayak basically searches all of the sites out there to find the best deal.

Also, have you looked into AAA discount? Do a hotel search on aaa.com and see if the same place comes up cheaper through them. A $50 membership fee might be worth it.

5. Re: Vacation Planning Help for Maui trip in October

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 February 2010, 07:29