We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Eating Out with Teens

Marlton, New Jersey
Level Contributor
2,081 posts
731 reviews
Save Topic
Eating Out with Teens

I am taking my children in their late teens to Hawaii (both Maui and Waikiki) in November. It is their first time to Hawaii and they wanted to go. Any suggestions as to where to eat would be appreciated. I thought about Hula Grill or Duke's in Waikiki or Leilani's Barefoot Bar Or CJ Diner in Maui. My kids don't want anything gourmet..just good food. I had gotten suggestions for Thanksgiving Dinner. I think that for simple snacks that the food court at Whalers Village or the Kalakakua Avenue or anywhere in Waikiki will be great for them, but I would like to take them out to eat somewhere and see them at least once a day for meals.. Thank you. We are staying at the Sheraton in both places. Also is there a place to stop for breakfast on the way from Kaanapali to Haleakala? Thank you.

Indiana
Level Contributor
836 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Eating Out with Teens

I would definitely take them to Front Street in Lahaina. They have a Hard Rock, Cheeseburger in Paradise, Bubba Gump's, B.J.'s Pizza, Cool Cat Cafe. I think your teen children would enjoy any of these places. I do think that Hula Grill and CJ's Diner are good choices. However, there are many more to choose from and I am sure others will chime in.

Reedsport, Oregon
Level Contributor
3,981 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Eating Out with Teens

Our boys enjoyed Moose's in Lahaina. Especially if they are into sports. And you can't go wrong with CJ's. The kids loved it and it doesn't break the budget.

In Waikiki we took them to the Hard Rock. A little bigger than the one in Maui but the same good food. But it's always a little pricey. But we've eaten at several Hard Rock's and it's always been good.

Marlton, New Jersey
Level Contributor
2,081 posts
731 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Eating Out with Teens

THank you for the suggestions. I will give that list to my teens and let them pick! Is there a good place to eat breakfast in the Lahaina/Kaanapali area? I know that I could eat breakfast at the Sheraton Maui where we are staying, but I think it is pretty expensive.

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
53,972 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Eating Out with Teens

Up at Napili you have the Sea House & the Gazebo (get to the Gazebo early) and I also like the Pioneer Inn in Lahaina. The Pioneer Inn was built in 1901 which makes it pretty old by Maui standards.

Marlton, New Jersey
Level Contributor
2,081 posts
731 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Eating Out with Teens

I thought about the Pioneer Inn, but I know it didn't get good reviews, but I can try it. I am not sure where Sea House is.

Birmingham, Alabama
Level Contributor
5,663 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Eating Out with Teens

I can't imagine teenagers wanting to get up and stand in line at Gazebo for breakfast -- but you might show up around 10 and maybe all the early birds will be finished and the line will be gone.

Moose McGillicuddys also has a very extensive breakfast menu -- I personally do not care for it but I bet kids would. You could stop there between Kaanapali and Haleakala if you're not meaning to go for sunrise.

Sea House in Napili is at the Napili Kai resort.

the hotels generally have good breakfasts, too -- I would think the SHeraton would -- if you're willing to pay for it!

Birmingham, Alabama
Level Contributor
5,663 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Eating Out with Teens

Pioneer Inn -- their breakfast is OK and it's right on the water in Lahaina. I've eaten there a couple of times. Prefer the pancakes over the egg dishes. Also the fruit (pineapple in particular) was extremely under-ripe both times I've been ... which is one thing on the mainland, but c'mon -- I have yet to buy a bad pineapple at Costco on Maui. You'd think they could find the same...!

Maui
Destination Expert
for Ka'anapali, Haleakala National Park, Maui
Level Contributor
55,126 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Eating Out with Teens

Aloha,

CJ's Diner has breakfast, and so does Cataways Cafe over at Maui Kaanapali Villas. Both are good and good sized portions for those hungry teens!

If you don't mind waiting a bit the day you drive to Haleakala, you could stop at Marco's Deli for breakfast. It is at the corner of Dairy Road and the Hana Highway---in Kahului. It is diagonally across from Kmart. Very large portions, good variety, well priced. Good place for any meal, including the night you are flying out.

Marlton, New Jersey
Level Contributor
2,081 posts
731 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Eating Out with Teens

THank you so much for all the wonderful suggestions. I appreciate them very much. I heard that the Gazebo has a wonderful view.

Marlton, New Jersey
Level Contributor
2,081 posts
731 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Eating Out with Teens

I will look at Sheraton's menu also while I am there. You have a good point about teens not willing to get up to line up at the Gazebo. My teens may be on East Coast time, but I know generally it is very very rough to get them out of bed, but they want to be up half of the night. I think they are worse sometimes than small kids with patience.