We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hana Hwy / Pipiwai Trail

Porter, TX
Level Contributor
120 posts
Save Topic
Hana Hwy / Pipiwai Trail

My husband & I will be staying in Ka'anapali in November & we want to drive the road to Hana. We plan to leave around 6am, making no stops for breakfast (we'll bring food with us). I recently purchased the book Hana Highway Mile by Mile & it has really helped out a lot! We've come up with a list of our "don't want to miss" stops, but I still have a few questions...

-How much time should we allow at each place?

-Where would be the best place to stop for lunch?

-Is this too much to do in one day?

*Ke'anae Peninsula

*Upper Waikani Falls (Three Bears Falls)

*Nahiku Road & Landing

*Wai'anapanapa Park

*Hamoa Beach

*Wailua Falls

*Ohe'o Gulch & Pipiwai Trail

I know a lot of people stay in the area so they don't have to drive back to the west side of the island the same day, but we are not interested in doing that. That being said...what time should we leave Pipiwai Trail in order to be back to the Paia area by dark? We don't mind driving the rest of the way in the dark, we just don't want to do it on any crazy one-lane roads!!

west virginia
Level Contributor
133 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hana Hwy / Pipiwai Trail

The Pipiwai Trail in itself could take a few hours. It just depends on your age and how good of shape you are in. It is about a 4 mile round trip, but worth every huff and puff. It was the highlight of our trip, and we aren't young and spry anymore.

S W Arkansas
Destination Expert
for Kihei, Maui, Hana, Haleakala National Park
Level Contributor
10,391 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hana Hwy / Pipiwai Trail

Pipiwai Trail always takes up at least 3 hr. I like to leave there by 4 or 4:30 so I'm not driving the curves in the dark.

I checked JC's web site on what to see along the drive and he has removed the Nahiku Rd..so much traffic was adversely impacting the residents.

timing???

I'd leave Wai'anapanapa no later than 12pm that should put you on the P-trail by 1pm..Wailua is more of a look and see. I'd stop by Hamoa Beach after my hike on the Pipiwai Trail..and use the rest of the time there.

Laguna Niguel...
Level Contributor
282 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Hana Hwy / Pipiwai Trail

Why not do the Pipiwai Trail first? This is the way I typically do it. I get started the same early time that you're planning, and drive through to Ohe'o and get there by 9.

Most people take their time getting to the trailhead, so you'll have the trail and falls pretty much to yourselves. It'll also be a lower chance of rain at this time of day.

I take anywhere from 2 to 4 hours here and then drive back. By this time, a lot of the travelers on the Road to Hana have been to the places you'll visit so again, parking will be much less of a problem.

Let your level of interest determine how long you spend at each place. I usually concentrate my time at Wai'anapanapa, Three Bears Falls and Ke'anae.

You're headed back towards Ka'anapali so if you run out of time, you can always make a truncated trip to finish up the psots you miss, and they'll be nearer to you.

As for lunch, I usually gather up a picnic package from CJ's Deli in Ka'anapali.

Hope this helps.

Laguna Niguel...
Level Contributor
282 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Hana Hwy / Pipiwai Trail

That's "spots you miss", not "psots you miss"!

Porter, TX
Level Contributor
120 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Hana Hwy / Pipiwai Trail

Shankapotamus...My husband & I were just talking about this...it sounds like an interesting way to do it, do you just drive the whole Hana Hwy to the end & then make your stops in reverse, or is there a faster way to get to Pipiwai Trail?? Some of the roads on the island confuse me...it looks like some of them should connect to others, but they don't.

Lexington, South...
Level Contributor
1,141 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Hana Hwy / Pipiwai Trail

Best way to get to the Pipiwai trail is still via the Hana Highway in my honest opinion. I'd suggest starting that hike no later than around 1pm so that you can still get back before it gets dark. Shadows are more noticeable along the highway in the afternoon, so I always like to drive the Highway early in the morning, and end with the hike at `Ohe`o.

I'd also concur about avoiding Nahiku Landing. I know it's in the current edition of the book, but I am going to remove it due to over visitation in the next edition.

Aloha,

John

Porter, TX
Level Contributor
120 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Hana Hwy / Pipiwai Trail

I have another question...I know everyone says don't leave anything valuable in your car, but what about an icechest?? I was thinking that if we had it in the trunk & got drinks out before a hike, someone might see us do that & assume that we have other stuff in the trunk as well. But if we just left it in plain sight in the back seat (with the doors locked of course), would they see that we just have an icechest & leave our vehicle alone? Or is an icechest full of food & drinks considered something of value to theives?? I know that the worst case scenario is that we have to find a road-side stand & buy some fruit or banana bread so we have food to eat (which we plan to do anyway), but my point is...do I have to drag an icechest in & out of the car at every stop??

Boston
Level Contributor
120 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hana Hwy / Pipiwai Trail

One thing I don't see on your must do list is the Garden of Eden Botanical gardens which looks and sounds awesome from what I've seen here and other places. I think its near the beginning of the road. Just didn't want you to miss it:

http://www.mauigardenofeden.com/

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
44,914 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hana Hwy / Pipiwai Trail

Who knows what someone will steal!! We always leave our ice chest in the car. Beach bags and towels too and never have had a problem. We take what is valuable to us and leave the rest of the stuff in the car. If they want to steal it, so be it!

Lexington, South...
Level Contributor
1,141 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Hana Hwy / Pipiwai Trail

I also always leave a cooler or something similar in the car, but it's anyone's guess that the thugs that break in would do. In general I'd assume that's not a targeted item.

I also would agree about the Garden of Eden. That's a wonderful stop, despite the entry fee. I would highly recommend a stop there if possible.