We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cell phone plans?

calgary, Alberta
3 posts
Save Topic
Cell phone plans?

We will be in Maui for the entire month of December and being from Canada, our cell phone will cost us an arm and a leg (and more!). So, I'm wondering if their are any suggestions for pay as you go plans or such for us to acquire while we are there so we can keep in touch with family and our business while we are on the island. Any suggestions would be very appreciated!!! Thank you!

St. Louis USA
Level Contributor
82 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cell phone plans?

Just a thought here... For most US cell customers, Hawaii is considered part of the states, ie there are no extra charges.

Therefore, if your provider has a US or international package/option perhaps it already includes Hawaii....

Canada
Level Contributor
9,059 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cell phone plans?

Being Canadian ...I am totally familiar with your dilemma and the outrageous Roaming/long distance fees. I have a couple of suggestions.

1. Do you have a calling card with your landline provider at home? Rates are usually 15 cents- 30 cents/min CDN with those calling cards. You would just dial the 1-800 # on the card from the landline at your Hawaii accomodation to access. There is not usually a charge at hotels for 1-800 numbers and they are not blocked if you are renting a private condo.

2. Skype..... allows you to communicate free with Skype customers and roughly 02cents/min for others.(From your Laptop) We have looked into Skype for an upcoming Hawaii trip as the unit we have rented does not have a landline line...but does have WiFi.

Software is a free download.

www.skype.com

Good Luck finding a solution.

Napa, California
Level Contributor
2,024 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cell phone plans?

I can second Skype - This is the preferred method of contact for my teeneger. He hangs with his buddies online to talk for free while playing video games.

This won't help for calling each other - we often bring walkie talkie radios. These work great when at the same location, but not together. (like at the condo and pool area, or at the mall..).

Toronto
Level Contributor
362 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cell phone plans?

we use virgin mobile phones in the US and I assume these will work on our March Hawaii trip- $20 for 200 minutes

Canada
Level Contributor
9,059 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cell phone plans?

momtoemma,

Is this a moble phone which you have purchased in the States? Like what they refer to as a "throwaway"

Birmingham, Alabama
Level Contributor
5,543 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cell phone plans?

I can add unlimited calls to Canada to my US plan for about $10/month more. You can add and take that away at will (i.e., add it for just a month).

Bet you can do the same in Canada.

Nebraska
Level Contributor
299 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Cell phone plans?

You could use a phone like Tracfhone.

Here in the midlands, we were Alltel, which was sucked up by Windstream, now owned by Verison. That is just two years of history :)

We have a national freedom plan that allows us to use our phone anywhere in the 50 states. I had a friend that added that feature for $10 for one month while traveling. Worth checking out.

Toronto
Level Contributor
362 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cell phone plans?

yes purchased sort of in the US and cld throw it away but since we usually go to the US 2 or even 3 times each year we just keep using them.

Bought on wwwvirginmobileusa.com, so the us website not canadian, paid by paypal. Prob is will only deliver to US address so when I bought them about 2 years ago had them delivered to a condo that we were renting for the week in Florida-no prob. You can also have it delivered to your hotel (which I did when I bought 2 more for grandparents to use)

very cheap- I think $9.99 with free delivery by Fed ex and that includes 200 minutes of air time. Very cheap to call Canada and free calls everywhere in US

I know other places like NYC you can just go into certain stores and buy a phone right there but do not know about in Maui

Good luck because i Know what a rip off expense it is to us Canadians, and this saved me a fortune (and I did it after coming home to a $400 cell phone bill with very short calls on it due to roaming etc.

manitoba
2 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Cell phone plans?

Try this <a href="allbestcellphones.com/reviews/blackberry-sto…">Cellphone Plans</a> it is cheap it is good for traveling outside the country.

manitoba
2 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Cell phone plans?

Try this <a href="allbestcellphones.com/reviews/blackberry-sto…">Cellphone Plans</a> it is cheap it is good for traveling outside the country.