We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to purchase cheap souvenirs?

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
39 posts
Save Topic
Where to purchase cheap souvenirs?

Where is there a good place to purchase cheap souvenirs on Maui? In Oahu, I went to the Aloha Stadium and that was paradise. Is there somewhere on Maui similar to that? Or, should I just go to the Walmart to pick up souvenirs?

Thanks in advance!

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
69 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to purchase cheap souvenirs?

I liked the ABC Stores. I noticed plenty on Oahu and a few on Maui. There is one in the Lahaina mall. They have cute clothes and little trinkets for the kids, and plenty of other stuff.

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
45,916 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to purchase cheap souvenirs?

Maui has it's own swap meet. It is held at the campus of Maui Community College on Saturdays from 7:00am -1:00pm. It is in Kahului.

Maui
Destination Expert
for Ka'anapali, Haleakala National Park, Maui
Level Contributor
53,708 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to purchase cheap souvenirs?

Aloha,

I tend to call ABC ("Always Bring Cash", because it is often much more expensive than other store. You have to really comparison shop there.

I always suggest Long's.......it's amazing how much cheaper things are there on a constant basis.

Yes, the Swap Meet in Maui has a big selection of different things. There are also craft fairs in various places around Maui, all week, every week! Check the Maui News for listings.

Seattle, WA
Level Contributor
525 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to purchase cheap souvenirs?

There's a fun craft fair on N Kihei road, across the street from Yee's Orchard. They sell inexpensive shell necklaces and trinkets, and you can tell people you bought stuff at a "local market" rather than Walmart. I bought a lovely inexpensive necklace there from a very sweet guy. Then go across the street and pick up some mangoes from Yee's. :) Yee's also sells dried fruit and coconut candy that makes good souvenirs as well, especially to take to coworkers.

IMHO, the best souvenirs are the edible kind!

SoCal
Level Contributor
72 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to purchase cheap souvenirs?

I totally agree with Pensive that the best souvenirs are edible. I just have to be careful not to eat them before I give them away! ;)

Maui
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
53,708 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to purchase cheap souvenirs?

But a "taste test" ensures that the gift is truly wonderful....oops, ALL GONE, sorry.....:)!

Haiku
Level Contributor
721 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where to purchase cheap souvenirs?

Three thumbs up for the Maui Swap Meet ... wait I only have 2 thumbs - oh well. We plan our arrival and departures to ensure we have a free Saturday morning as we land on Maui to stock our condo kitchen up .. and again before we depart to guy gifts for friends and family back home.

Heading to this swap meet in Kahului, now on the grounds of the Maui Community College, is a must for us. There is a 50 cent admission and tons of booths with local crafts, Ono Organics and other produce booths, scents, soaps, art, all sorts of clothing, Maui towels, tons of pareos ... some of the 'Made in Phillipines' kitschy stuff, local music. We have shopped there for years and compared prices ... most items are much more reasonable than any chains, other flea markets esp. those on west Maui, etc. And you strike up some great conversations with the artists .. the folks at Ono Organics let you do taste tests and will gladly share info on unusual fruits, etc.

There is a link from Jan. 2009 when they changed their location with photos ... enjoy ... www.mauiexposition.com/MAUISWAPMEET.html

Maui
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
53,708 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Where to purchase cheap souvenirs?

Aloha,

So Joy,

Do you live in Haiku............or elsewhere, as previously mentioned in older threads?

If you live in Haiku...........why would you be "landing" in Maui.........

Tokyo, Japan
Level Contributor
4,724 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Where to purchase cheap souvenirs?

Walmart is actually a good option in Central Maui.

On West Maui, there is a swap meet every Sunday at the Lahaina Civic Center.

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
39 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Where to purchase cheap souvenirs?

Thanks for the swap meet information and location. I love swap meets...it's always fun! I'll make sure to schedule Saturday to visit the Maui Swap Meet.

I just checked the Arts & Crafts fair that is held at the Lahaina Civic Center and it's held every other Sunday. During the week that I'm there, the fair isn't on. :(

btw, yes, I'll be vacationing in Maui and not Haiku.

I'll save the ABC Store, Long's and Walmart for last minute gifts that I won't be able to find at the swap meet.

Thanks again!