We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Might Have To Cancel Our Trip

Colorado
Level Contributor
27 posts
Save Topic
Might Have To Cancel Our Trip

We won a trip to HI for November. Airfare and hotel were paid for. We're still responsible for taxes, and everything else.

We just found out that my husband got a 15% pay cut. That's huge for us. I don't know if we'll still be able to go.

If we do still go, and just hang out at the hotel the whole time (nothing wrong with sitting on the beach all week!) how much do you think food would cost? We're staying at the Ritz Carlton. If we don't rent a car to save money, would we be able to eat there for cheap? Probably not, huh.

And can someone tell me what all we'd need to tip on? This is our first trip that's not all inclusive so we'd have to tip.

Thanks for the info. I'm so bummed that we might have to cancel the trip. I'm hoping there is SOME way we can make it work.

Maui
Destination Expert
for Ka'anapali, Haleakala National Park, Maui
Level Contributor
49,762 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Might Have To Cancel Our Trip

Aloha,

Oh, this is bad news! Is there any way to extend the deadline for the trip?

The Ritz is very expensive, but right near the entrance to the hotel is the Honolua store--good food, eat in or take out, very reasonable. There are other places in Lahaina, Honokawai, and Kahana that are not super expensive too.

As for the car question, a shuttle will cost the two of you around 80.00 each way from OGG......so a rental car will end up cheaper, most likely. An alternative would be to rent a car for just a few days--and do the shuttle one way. I recommend Executive.

Tipping would normally include housekeepers, bellman, valet, etc.....and of course, restaurants.

Do you by chance have any airline points or awards you could use for the car? If you're a member of Costco, check out their site-I know people have gotten some very good rates from them.

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
44,411 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Might Have To Cancel Our Trip

I'm so sorry to hear this. If you are very careful I think you can still make it work. On the right hand side of this page is a menu called "Maui Itineraries", there are some links about budget travel on Maui. Please take the time to read this.

arkansas
Level Contributor
466 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Might Have To Cancel Our Trip

Don't let anyone bum you out about this: Hanging out at the Ritz, eating cheap, and watching your dollars will still be a great vacation. You will save money with a compact rental car vs. shuttles, and it will be esential to your meal/vacation plan. McDonalds, Maui Taco, Subway are all close at hand along with supermarkets for in-room light meals and simple sandwiches. The Honolua Store and some cheap eats will suffice. You don't need high-end activities either. Sunset watching, sight seeing drives, and exploring Lahaina will keep you occupied when you are not on the beach. Gear rental is cheap if you choose to snorkel and some of the best is right beside you in Kapalua.

Don't cancel, budget!

yfunk3
Level Contributor
470 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Might Have To Cancel Our Trip

I was able to get a great $14/day economy car from Alamo by bidding on Priceline.com a week before I was due to arrive on Maui. It's definitely worth a shot!

I say go and enjoy your vacation as much as you can. If you have a rental car, then it won't be nearly as bad as just "sitting" around and you might have wonderful experiences. If you only knew what I'd do for free flights to/from and lodging on Maui, even if I do have to pay my own taxes, food and tips! :o) If you have a Safeway card and can drive to a Safeway on the islands, that might also be a cheaper meal alternative.

There's also tons of cheap/free stuff to do once you get there. Renting snorkel gear is only $8/day at most places, and I know when I was there last week, Snorkel Bob's was having a two-for-one special on snorkel gear for a great price. Don't forget all the great free state parks. And if you drive to the Kula Lavender Farm, it's free to wander around without a tour and just look at the plants, etc for a different experience. I'm sure everyone else here has tons of suggestions for other great things to do for free, too!

Just have fun, relax a bit and take your mind off the "real world" for a few days. :o)

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
3,710 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Might Have To Cancel Our Trip

Hi Apesusi!

I agree with the others, you should GO!!! And you will definitely do far better with a car. We also got a car on Priceline for cheap. I would recommend you book a car SOMEWHERE RIGHT NOW, as cheaply as you can find, then keep watching and working on the Priceline bids. Like the others said, having a car will allow you LOTS and LOTS of free/cheap options. Most meals are so large everywhere in this country that unless you are both really big eaters you can easily split 1 entree and perhaps 1 appetizer. There are tons of little local places that are less pricey.

If you have a little fridge in your room, you can even buy snacks at Long's or the grocery store to help w/bkfst and snacks. If no fridge, you might even consider buying a cheap styro cooler to keep ice and a few things in. (I may get some neg. feedback about the styro cooler, but hopefully you can either drop it by someplace like the Salvation Army or Goodwill so they can sell it for a buck or 2, rather than it getting thrown away.)

We used some American Express Reward points to get restaurant gift cards to Roy's of Kahana, which is out toward Kapalua in Kahana, and also to the Melting Pot. I know the Melting Pot is not particular to Maui, but hey, it gave us a fun, nice meal for no money out of pocket!!! :-) Amex did also have gift cards for Ruth's Chris Steakhouse, which is in Lahaina.

Costco was a great recommendation for good prices on rental cars as well. I say make this an adventure to see just how cheaply you can see Maui!!! And then you MUST come back and write all of us a trip report!!!

Aloha!

Cindy

washington
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
22,174 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Might Have To Cancel Our Trip

Oh, Kiddo! I really hope you can make this work! The shuttle will not save you any money when you factor in driving to those cheat eats in areas near the Ritz, and there are lots of them. Do asearch for "cheap eats" on this site, many, many ideas. You can even hike to the Gazebo from there. Good luck, I'll cross my fingers!

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
3,710 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Might Have To Cancel Our Trip

One more thought, since your trip is in November, perhaps you could ask for money or gift cards as early Christmas/Hanukkah gifts to help out with the meals, etc.?? Is your birthday anytime soon as well?? Lots of times myself, or my grown kids, siblings, etc., will ask for money to go toward something special as opposed to getting a gift for the holidays or special occasions. Just a thought...

Indiana
Level Contributor
836 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Might Have To Cancel Our Trip

I hope you don't have to cancel. I do know what it means to budget. My husband made us count change so we could go putt-putt in Myrtle Beach on our family vacation this past summer. You can do it on a budget, however you won't be able to eat at the Ritz. You will need to get supplies for your room for breakfast, lunch, drinks, and snacks. You will still be able to eat out, just pick and choose. Many restaurants are very reasonably priced in Maui. You just want to stay away from the real pricey ones or look for the specials they might be offering from say 4-6 pm.

As far as activities, you can hike in Kapalua for free, snorkel in Napili Bay and Kapalua Bay for the low cost of snorkel rental at Snorkel Bob's, enjoy beautiful sunsets, walk on the beach, lay by the pool, and just enjoy the aloha spirit.

Many restaurants are close by for you that will be fairly inexpensive. You might want to try the following: CJ's Deli and Diner, Honolua General Store, Maui Tacos, Momma's Rotisserie Chicken, Okazuya's Deli, and some chain names along Front Street in Lahaina. You don't have to spend lots of money to have a wonderful time on this gorgeous island. I hope you are able to make it work. Best of luck!

Iowa City
Level Contributor
886 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Might Have To Cancel Our Trip

Very sorry to hear this-I have some thoughts-essentially, this is what I would do, to save a little money-stay in a good, but less expensive hotel, this will not only save yo money upfront, but also, other expenses, from breakfast, to dinners etc. Kaanapali has reasobale hotels, the Sheraton, Westin, Hyatt, are all luxury hotels, but less expensive. You would be next door to Whaler's Village, and other reasonable restaurants.

By the way, hanging around the beach is really not a big sacrifice, that's what we doo-to escape midwest winter in Jan/Feb. You could really work it out-all the hotels I mentioned, have great AAA rates.

Napa, California
Level Contributor
2,024 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Might Have To Cancel Our Trip

Some of the best trips in my life were those where I budgeted very strictly. I think that this will be a trip of a lifetime.

I know that the 15% seems really insurmountable right now, but I'm sure that you will be OK - just set your mind to it!

Also, you don't have to tip all the time. You need to tip on your meals when you have a sit down meal, you need to tip the valet when you pick up your car. You don't need to use a bellhop, but if you do, then you need to tip. Tipping housekeeping or the pool guy isn't mandatory.

Look at this trip as the gift that it is, with the pay cut, there's no way you could go otherwise. I'm sure it is well deserved and will be wonderful!